OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Internet printing to remote printer

The content of this topic has been archived on 4 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have a LINUX server running in a office but I want to print(quickly) to another remote office.  Three parallel printers print character based forms.  Dot matrix will live forever.  The shortest possible print delay is important as users are impatient.   I was thinking that an OpenWRT device could help and be a router-firewall at the same time.

Possible transports:

1. Internet Printing Protocol and CUPS

2. OpenVPN

3. forget OpenWRT and go IPCOP with add-ons

Hardware for three parallel printers needs to be identified.  Is there a router-firewall box that would support the printers?  What would be a useful system design?

Wrong forum.....

Ok, then be specific.  Tell me which form, not just wrong form.

Why is it the wrong forum...

First it isn't a how to. You are asking a qustion so depending on which version of openwrt you are running you should go to the kamikaze section or the white russian section.

Good to know those may be the form to use.  The obvious question is how would anyone know based on a form name like Kamikaze or White Russian they would be of any interest.  More obvious and intuitive form names would be a worthwhile change

johnswolter wrote:

Good to know those may be the form to use.  The obvious question is how would anyone know based on a form name like Kamikaze or White Russian they would be of any interest.  More obvious and intuitive form names would be a worthwhile change

How can someone know the difference on a car forum? If you don't know what a BMW is...

You should have seen this when you downloaded a version of openwrt.

(Last edited by belrpr on 4 Mar 2009, 10:07)

The discussion might have continued from here.