OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: inadyn and custom DNS?

The content of this topic has been archived on 14 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I can't get inadyn to work with my custom DNS at dyndns.org. dyndns.org hosts my domain, gangwarily.ca, but when I try to update my IP with inadyn, it just errors out:

OpenWrt root ~ # inadyn -u XXX -p XXX -a gangwarily.ca
DYN_DNS: Start.
'INADYN version 1.60' - dynamic DNS updater.
W: DYNDNS: IP address for alias 'gangwarily.ca' needs update to '66.11.180.132'
W: DYNDNS: ERROR trying to update alias 'gangwarily.ca'.
W: DYNDNS: DYNDNS Server response:
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 18:06:14 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.31 (Unix) mod_perl/1.29
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Connection: close

nohost

OpenWrt root ~ #

According to dyndns.org's FAQs, this is because I am trying to update the wrong type of dyndns service (dyndns vs. custom dns).

https://www.dyndns.org/services/custom/faq.html#51

But inadyn appears to support custom dns by adding "--dyndns_system custom@dyndns.org" to the command line. Only inadyn itself errors out on me when I try that:

OpenWrt root ~ # inadyn -u XXX -p XXX -a gangwarily.ca --dyndns_system custom@dyndns.org
DYN_DNS: Start.
'INADYN version 1.60' - dynamic DNS updater.

INADYN Help

INADYN is a dynamic DNS client. That is, it maintains the IP address
of a host name. It periodically checks whether the IP address of the current machine
(the external visible IP address of the machine that runs INADYN) has changed.
If yes it performs an update in the dynamic dns server.

Typical usage:
        -for dyndns.org system:
                inadyn -u username -p password -a my.registrated.name
        -for freedns.afraid.org:
                 inadyn --dyndns_system default@freedns.afraid.org -a my.registrated.name,hash -a anothername,hash2
                         'hash' is extracted from the grab url batch file that is downloaded from freedns.afraid.org

Parameters:
        '--help': help
        '-h': help
        '--username': your  membername/ hash
        '-u': your  membername / hash
        '--password': your password. Optional.
        '-p': your password
        '--alias': alias host name. this option can appear multiple times.
        '-a': alias host name. this option can appear multiple times.
        '--input_file': the file containing [further] inadyn options
        '--ip_server_name': [NAME] - local IP is detected calling a CGI from this server name. default checkip.dyndns.org
        '--dyndns_server_name': [<NAME>[:port]]
                The server that receives the update DNS request.
                For dyndns.org is: members.dyndns.org.
                For freedns.afraid.org is: freedns.afraid.org
                If no proxy is wanted, then it is enough to set the dyndns system. The default servers will be taken.
        '--dyndns_system': [NAME] - optional DYNDNS service type. SHOULD be one of the following:
                -For dyndns.org DNS system: dyndns@dyndns.org OR statdns@dyndns.org OR custom@dyndns.org.
                -For freedns.afraid.org DNS system: default@freedns.afraid.org
                DEFAULT value is intended for default service at dyndns.org (most users): dyndns@dyndns.org
        '--proxy_server': [NAME[:port]]  - the http proxy server name and port. Default is none.
        '--update_period': how often the IP is checked. The period is in [ms]. Default is about 1 min. Max is 10 days
        '--update_period_sec': how often the IP is checked. The period is in [sec]. Default is about 1 min. Max is 10 days
        '--forced_update_period': how often the IP is updated even if it is not changed. [in sec]
        '--log_file': log file path abd name
        '--background': run in background. output to log file (works on windows only)
        '--verbose': set dbg level. 0 to 5

DYN_DNS: Main: Error 'RC_DYNDNS_INVALID_OPTION' (0x405).
W: DYN_DNS: Main: Exit.
OpenWrt root ~ #

Any ideas?

Mark

hm.
maybe you should try another dyndns client. i created the inadyn package just because it work's fine behind NAT routers.
i'd suggest you to use ddclient.

Another possibilty is to contact the coder of inadyn (look at http://inarcis.homeip.net/inadyn for details)

I just tried to create a package for ddclient .. The problem is, that i get a 403 when i try to access ddclient's page. The only link i found contained precompiled binaries for x86 architecture.
So, when the page is up again, i'll look out for the sourcecode and create a package for ddclient.
Maybe it'll work with ddclient, then.

Another possibilty is to contact the coder of inadyn (look at http://inarcis.homeip.net/inadyn for details)

I've been trying to go there but it keeps timing out.

I just tried to create a package for ddclient .. The problem is, that i get a 403 when i try to access ddclient's page. The only link i found contained precompiled binaries for x86 architecture.
So, when the page is up again, i'll look out for the sourcecode and create a package for ddclient.
Maybe it'll work with ddclient, then.

That would be much appreciated! I have not had a look at creating packages yet.

Mark

The discussion might have continued from here.