OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Have WNDR3700, will test

The content of this topic has been archived between 20 Apr 2018 and 25 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

No, I haven't seen the 8.09 GUI yet, and if it is a good one, then I'd love to check it out. One more question about the OpwnWRT cabapilities -- WNDR3700 as it stands now doesn't support "virtual servers" in port forwarding (all D-Link routers I've used do). It's the cabability to forward traffic to different ports than it came in on. Meaning that if I want to remote desktop into 5 PC's on my network, I can connect to 5 different ports externally, and then have the router forward the traffic to the 3389 port on each machine based on the incoming port (i.e. port 22000 traffic to 192.168.1.100:3389, 22001 to 192.168.1.101:3389, etc.)?. Is OpenWRT able to do this?

That's very much a firewall issue I think, and you can tell iptables to redirect traffic destined for a certain port to go to a certain IP and port, that shouldn't be a problem I think. Iptables is installed by default on OpenWrt. I can't promise you you'll be able to configure it over the GUI though - but the command line shouldn't give any problem.

That's good enough, thanks. I guess I'll just wait for some progress on porting 8.09 to the WNDR3700.

Pretty disappointing to see so many binaries on a device that Netgear touts as being "Open Source."

Bad move Netgear...

wndr3700 is not marketed as "open source" by netgear. You are confused with the WNDR3500L, but .. the wndr3500l source code that netgear distributes also has binary parts in it.

Hein

The WNDR3700 is on the OpenWrt team's hardware want list, so if anyone can spare the cash... Feel free smile.

how about asking Netgear directly, at least they can provide a "complementary" WNDR3700  because they use OpenWRT as the basis of there own firmware :-)

A lot of the binary modules they provide are listed as 'GPL/BSD' in the license overview, so either them or Atheros should be able to provide us with the code... I find it really awkward they just include the binary ones, but then again I think with BSD you're not legally forced to offer the code, you just need to maintain copyright I think. That being said, I'm even less familiar with the BSD license as I am with the (L)GPL ones, I just know GPL is more stringent.

Hi all... I'm new to openwrt but have 10 years linux admin and embedded development experience. My being a openwrt noob may be the reason these questions may seem silly, so forgive me.

1. If there is already a telnet server on the WNDR3700 and it's already openwrt 7.09, what are the major differences between this build and the standard 7.09 besides the obvious proprietary bins?

2. How much work will it be to get the WNDR3700 to support openssh and usb 3g modems if it already has 7.09 on it?

3. Is there a web based GUI for quicker config of things like WDS, encryption etc?

4. Hardware question: I don't know if you have used linksys N routers like the 350N or 300N, but if you have how does the 3700's performance compare for things like stability, packet drop rate, wireless range and throughput etc?

5. If Kamikaze is much like the embedded linux you'd find on Zaurus handheld, then the web interface really is unnecessary for me, I'd rather author the devices as servers over ssh. What is the package support for Kamikaze like and would I be able to run the most popular stuff on this hybrid 7.09 that Netgear ships? Further, as it's Kamikaze should I be able to use apache server and replace the netgear web interface with my own code?

diJenerate

(Last edited by diJenerate on 30 Oct 2009, 15:27)

I can partially answer you on point 4 (although not from personal experience yet) - Small Net Builder did a review on the device and it considers the Netgear to be amongst the best consumer dual-band N routers at the moment.

I am not sure but I thought the WRT300N and WRT350N were single-band N routers that operate on the 2,4 GHz band only, so... It's a bit like comparing apples and oranges I'd say.

The thing is OpenWrt's web interface is commercial grade from 8.09 on (at least to me) whereas 7.09 has a lot of loose ends (probably also because that interface was an external project, X-Wrt). Encryption is easy to set on 8.09 but on 7.09 the GUI can crap out on you if you use e.g. a WPA key with some special chars. Once you know where to look you'll find it easier to edit the configuration file for wireless encryption than go through the web interface for it (at least in 7.09).

Borromini wrote:

The WNDR3700 is on the OpenWrt team's hardware want list, so if anyone can spare the cash... Feel free smile.

If I get a on official "we'll support it if you buy us one" from OpenWRT, I'll buy you one this instant.

Oh, if one or two others would share the cost with me, that would be even better ;-)

(Last edited by xerces8 on 12 Nov 2009, 19:56)

The discussion might have continued from here.