OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Wired Network to wireless

The content of this topic has been archived on 6 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I have a wired network setup with a dedicated dhcp server and dns server. Using a Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 flashed to OpenWRT (White Russian), I want to hook the "router" up to the wired network and have it extend the network over wireless, but I want the router to not hand out ip addresses as I already have a DHCP Server setup. Thanks for any comments/suggestions/howtos

Hi,

You might want to keep the DHCP server going - but have it only give addresses out to the wireless clients.  Unfortunately you can't bridge wireless and wired devices together because it's not allowed for in the 802.11 standard.

Your best bet is to set the DHCP server up so it only sends addresses out to the wireless clients, and ensure IP forwarding is turned on.  Then, in the server the DHCP server sets the route to, set up a static route for the wireless network to point to the router so that the wired clients can talk to the wireless clients and vice versa.

HTH

The discussion might have continued from here.