OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: PPTPD - MPPE required, but kernel has no support. Issue

The content of this topic has been archived on 11 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi All,

I just recently installed OpenWrt 8.09.1 on the NSLU2 server that I wanted to use as a PPTP VPN Server, installation went smoothly, even the two dependencies installed (kmod-mppe & kmod-crypto); however, I have spent the next 2 to 3 hours searching this site and the web for relevant information on why the I am getting the " MPPE required, but kernel has no support." error message within my log file. Unfortunately, most of the posts I have found so far are obsolete (using older firmware or 2 years old) or does not apply to my situation.

I have the initial configuration setup for the options.pptpd file (except the IP address is using 192.168.x.x), and I have also configured the chap-secrets correctly (yes I know per the log below I have to change the perms, but I'll do that later).

Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
Warning - secret file /etc/ppp/chap-secrets has world and/or group access
MPPE required, but kernel has no support.
Connection terminated.
Connect time 0.1 minutes.
Sent 0 bytes, received 0 bytes.

Can any of you guys or gals please help me with this issue?

I thank you in advance for any insight or help you may have to offer.

Have you tried to install "kmod-mppe" ?

jow wrote:

I am not sure how to try kmod-mppe, I know it installed when I installed the pptpd daemon; can you please explain what I need to do to in order to initialize it or direct me to a site that does?

technofox wrote:
jow wrote:

I am not sure how to try kmod-mppe, I know it installed when I installed the pptpd daemon; can you please explain what I need to do to in order to initialize it or direct me to a site that does?

try this:
lsmod | grep mppe
You should get results as follow:
ppp_mppe                4864  0
ppp_generic            18864  4 pppoe,pppox,ppp_mppe,ppp_async
If you see nothing, you should install kmod-mppe

opkg list_installed kmod-mppe

The discussion might have continued from here.