OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WNDR3700 exploration

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 Oct 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

hijglander wrote:

It depends... if you are compiling on a 386@40MHz it might be normal....

Not since my slackware days... I'll make clean and recompile with V=99 to see what's up.

Damn.. I compiled my own image from svn backfire - and it won't work..

Anyone knows if there's something wrong in backfire svn so it would generate a non-bootable image? I don't have a serial on my wndr3700 so I cannot debug this..
I retrieved to my previous firmware image by using tftp after holding reset button down for 45 seconds after powering it up..

I've successfully built both a backfire image and a trunk image.  I initially tried building an image from scratch following the wiki instructions, but like you I ended up with an unbootable image.  Clearly, something is missing from the wiki instructions and I haven't yet been able to figure out what it is.

I was successful once I grabbed the backfire config file from here:

http://backfire.openwrt.org/10.03/ar71xx/OpenWrt.config

Now I've got a lot of crap in there I don't need or want, but at least it's bootable.

Anyone know what causes this..?

jake1981 wrote:

Anyone know what causes this..?

Sorry no, it works for me. What is your .config ?

I was just able to boot an image I made from trunk without having to import the backfire config.  You can get my configuration here:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/dalroth/openwrt … .02B01.txt

This is a very minimal config. I'm working on stripping out everything I don't need, so please note:

1. It boots
2. The IP address is 192.168.1.1
3. I have not yet checked to see if wifi works
4. I have not yet checked to see if the firewall works
5. I've included most of the file systems and usb2 support
6. No web interface access, only ssh
7. I've turned off most everything else

(Last edited by Dalroth on 2 Jun 2010, 16:22)

I'm using the 'stock' OpenWRT firmware, from http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … wndr3700-*. Can anyone confirm / deny that mac (wi-fi) filtering is/not working for them? e.g. In the file below, I connect. If I change the first digit of the mac address, I still connect. Am I missing something / doing something wrong? Thanks.

If anyone has any other observations or suggestions about the file, do please speak up.

/etc/config/wireless:

config 'wifi-device' 'radio0'
        option 'type' 'mac80211'
        option 'macaddr' '12:34:56:78:9a:bc'
        option 'hwmode' '11ng'
        option 'htmode' 'HT20'
        list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-40'
        list 'ht_capab' 'DSSS_CCK-40'
        list 'ht_capab' 'HT40+'
        list 'ht_capab' 'HT40-'
        option 'country' 'CA'
        option 'channel' '2'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio0'
        option 'network' 'lan'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'ssid' 'mywifi-2'
        option 'encryption' 'psk-mixed'
        option 'key' 'mywifipassword'
        option 'hidden' '1'
        option 'maclist' '23:45:67:89:ab:cd'
        option 'macpolicy' 'deny'

config 'wifi-device' 'radio1'
        option 'type' 'mac80211'
        option 'channel' '36'
        option 'macaddr' '34:56:78:9a:bc:de'
        option 'hwmode' '11na'
        option 'htmode' 'HT20'
        list 'ht_capab' 'SHORT-GI-40'
        list 'ht_capab' 'DSSS_CCK-40'
        list 'ht_capab' 'HT40+'
        list 'ht_capab' 'HT40-'
        option 'country' 'CA'
        option 'disabled' '0'

config 'wifi-iface'
        option 'device' 'radio1'
        option 'network' 'lan'
        option 'mode' 'ap'
        option 'ssid' 'mywifi-5'
        option 'encryption' 'psk-mixed'
        option 'key' 'mywifipassword'
        option 'hidden' '1'

In /etc/config/network I saw

config switch_vlan
        option device   rtl8366s
        option vlan     0
        option ports    "0 1 2 3 5"

But no

option ports    "4 5"

It's not possible now to bridge the WAN port to the 4 LAN ports, is it?

Thanks for "minimal" config.. I was able to build a working trunk image with it..

AntiGenX wrote:

Also, while I'm asking lots of noobish questions... Can I safely invoke make with the -j2 (or -j4) option to speed up compilation for openwrt?

Whenever you add a -j# value, I suggest you pair it with a -l# (lower case L then a number).  This ensures that the load (run queue) stays below a certain value.

bs27975 wrote:

I'm using the 'stock' OpenWRT firmware, from http://downloads.openwrt.org/backfire/1 … wndr3700-*. Can anyone confirm / deny that mac (wi-fi) filtering is/not working for them? e.g. In the file below, I connect. If I change the first digit of the mac address, I still connect. Am I missing something / doing something wrong? Thanks.

If anyone has any other observations or suggestions about the file, do please speak up.

/etc/config/wireless:
        option 'maclist' '23:45:67:89:ab:cd'
        option 'macpolicy' 'deny'

Nobody has confirmed or denied that mac address filtering does/not work.

I take it I should file a bug report?

Hi all,
strange things happen... It's trunk, r21442

1. DHCP is EXTREMELY slow.. compared to my oldoldold WRT54G with kamikaze 7.x, which gave me the IP within a second over wlan. On the WNDR it takes sometimes over 90 secs via WLAN.

2. The router stops communicating at all sometimes - maybe due to heavy load... over the serial console everything looks normal.

3. the router stops booting, when the serial cable is connected to the router, but the serial/USB adaptor not into the PC.. When i plug in the adaptor, the console just shows the uboot-prompt. With "boot" i can start the boot process..

Any Ideas? I can't imagine, that every line of code is beta in that version..

Regards, Martin

(Last edited by mag81 on 9 Jun 2010, 22:11)

Yesterday I've tested openwrt 10.3 and,

1) I managed to get wireless working, but it only connects at 65.0 Mbps (with stock firmware It connects at 150 Mbps)
2) 5 Ghz doesn't work at all
3) Port forward doesn't work at all
4) Dhcp reservation works just fine
3) Luci and stability seems pretty nice. Incredible low loads. This router surely can be pushed really hard.

1) I managed to get wireless working, but it only connects at 65.0 Mbps (with stock firmware It connects at 150 Mbps)

Make sure htmode is to set HT40+ or HT40- and try different channels, as soon as another AP is using a nearby channel, the router will drop out of HT40 mode and go back to HT20 (slower)

You need a custom build atm to force custom regulatory settings. The default reg prevents most 5GHz stuff due to regulation requirements and missing DFS and TPC in ath9k

3) Port forward doesn't work at all

Port forwards on OpenWrt only work from the outside, it is not possible to use them from within the LAN

thank you jow.
Your tip worked like a sharm.
this is first time with openwrt and this is AWESOME! Realtime stats, vnstat, rrdtool? YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

jow wrote:

You need a custom build atm to force custom regulatory settings. The default reg prevents most 5GHz stuff due to regulation requirements and missing DFS and TPC in ath9k

That hasn't been my experience. Using stock openwrt firmware, I'm getting 300Mbps on 5GHz.

See https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=24993 #23.

mag81 wrote:

3. the router stops booting, when the serial cable is connected to the router, but the serial/USB adaptor not into the PC.. When i plug in the adaptor, the console just shows the uboot-prompt. With "boot" i can start the boot process..

I've seen this a few times before when the serial cable attached to the WNDR3700 is a little bit flaky--if there is a glitch on the RxD line at the wrong time, it can seem like it "pressed a key" and interrupt the U-boot process.

Note that the router has not even run any OpenWrt code by the time it ends up in this state, so it's almost assuredly not a software problem!

bs27975 wrote:
jow wrote:

That hasn't been my experience. Using stock openwrt firmware, I'm getting 300Mbps on 5GHz.

See https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=24993 #23.

check the output of "iw wlan1 station dump"
If you see nothing, well, you are not on the 5 GHz radio.
Then check "iwconfig wlan1" to make sure that you are on a 5 GHz frequency

I've been struggling with the ath9k stability issue on WNDR3700 for a long time now, perhaps someone from the dev team has a clue about it. Today tried the latest trunk build (r21756). Also happens with Backfire branch.

Whenever the WinXP laptop (with Intel 2200BG card) comes up from the standby mode it tries (and fails) 4-5 times to connect to the router - quickly flashes with connected/disconnected status. After that the connection is either finally established or router simply reboots which is quite annoying. The configuration is standard, 2.4GHz only 11ng,  HT20, 5th channel, psk2.
Haven't had these issues with another laptop running Linux/ath9k.

If the router does not reboot I can see many repeating messages in the logging like:
IEEE 802.11: deauthenticated due to local deauth request
IEEE 802.11: authenticated
IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
WPA: received EAPOL-Key 2/4 Pairwise with unexpected replay counter

and then finally:
WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)

koekiemonster wrote:
aport wrote:

I've dumped my caldata and you can grab it here: http://rapidshare.com/files/391141047/caldata.html

could you upload that file again? i would like to restore my caldata :-)

What are the advantages?

luminoso wrote:
koekiemonster wrote:
aport wrote:

I've dumped my caldata and you can grab it here: http://rapidshare.com/files/391141047/caldata.html

could you upload that file again? i would like to restore my caldata :-)

What are the advantages?

to restoring my caldata? i'm hoping on fixing my mac-addresses and beiing able to start the radios again. (i screwed up the router when i flashed it back to stock firmware)

jow wrote:

It is supposed to become available from next versions or it will always require a custom build?
thank you once again for all the answers.

It is supposed to become available from next versions or it will always require a custom build?

It will only be really solved if ath9k gains DFS and TPC support to fullfill the regulatory requirements in several countries.
I cannot give you an ETA on this but several developers are paid to work on ath9k so I guess it will be supported at some point.