OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Overclocking

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello, i have a wrt54gs v1.1 and open vpn running on it.
I want to use my dsl 3000 connection but the processor of the wrt54gs is to week i get max. 320kb/s.
I have the Broadcom BCM4712 chip rev 1.
BCM3302 V0.7  Processor
How can i see my current Cpu clock and can i overclock about 25 mhz?

(Last edited by sangul on 21 Nov 2009, 16:27)

sangul wrote:

I want to use my dsl 3000 connection but the processor of the wrt54gs is to week i get max. 320kb/s.

I don't suppose overclocking will increase the connection speed.

Do Not Oc...

Hello, why?
I only download with 230kb/s but if i overclock it is faster.
Can you help me how i can do this?

Lol...

Why are people so stupid?

(Last edited by Dogge on 28 Nov 2009, 10:27)

sangul wrote:

Hello, why?

Read this.

I only download with 230kb/s but if i overclock it is faster.

How do yo know? Have you done that before?

Can you help me how i can do this?

Nope.

Hi Sangul,

You mean that your internet download speed is slow, or that your VPN throughput is low?

In the first case, it's normal: http://www.google.it/search?q=3*1024%2F8
In the latter, overclocking might help you, but don't expect great improvements.

Mattia.

Hello Araks,

yes it's because the open vpn. If i go with my normal sttings without open vpn to the internet i have a speed of approx. 360kb/s.
The Open Vpn tool need a lot of Cpu power, if i look at syslog it needs 90% of the CPU.
If i would overclockt the Cpu mabye i have a better download speed with open vpn.

regards

sangul

I understand...

Your router should run @200Mhz. dd-wrt wiki says that WRT54GS v1.1 works stable up to 250Mhz, without hardware mods:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G/GL/GS/GX#Clock_Speed_and_Overclocking wrote:

WRT54GL v1.1 is stable when overclocked at 250MHz, with no extra cooling. Your mileage may vary.

To modify the CPU clock on this broadcom unit you can use the nvram command to set the clkfreq bootloader variable to the desired value. You can't put random values in there. You should check wich frequences BCM4712 supports.
Remember that it's very dangerous, you can damage the unit or prevent it from booting.
You might be able to change the clock frequency from the web interface, but i'm not really sure.

Give it a try, and let us know if OpenVPN performances increase!
Mattia.

Hello, i just looked in the kernel log i habe a 216Mhz Cpu.
I will try to overclock to 250 Mhz, then i will write back.

regards

sangul

(Last edited by sangul on 29 Nov 2009, 23:49)

Hello, i have overclocked it to 250 Mhz. The speed ist much better i have now 328 kb/s (tested with wlan and cable).
The speed is more than 60 kb/s. What do you thing, can i overclock higer than 250 Mhz without cooling?
I want to get my full 360kb/s.

Edit:
With 250 Mhz i get the problem when i download a file after 5 minutes i lost my openvpn connection (not connection to the router).
Then i have to restart it. Now i test it with 240 Mhz.

Edit2:
With 240 Mhz it works great for me. The download is about 310 but it's not constantly. Sometimes 280kb/s then 305kb/s...
Do you know a router which have about 300 mhz and 8/32Mb flash/sdram on which is openwrt running?

kind regards

sangul

(Last edited by sangul on 30 Nov 2009, 17:02)

I'm sorry I don't know such a router. You might check for a Routerboard:
http://routerboard.com/pricelist.php?st … rom_home=1
They have great specs.
Before buying, check the OpenWrt compatibility. I think that RB4XX should work without much efforts.

Mattia

Hello, perhaps i will buy the next week a new one.
I just overclock to 280 Mhz but now the power led is always flashing.
Now i must jtag it.
264 Mhz works for me but the openvpn connection was suspended, like at 250 Mhz.
If i repair it i will set up to 240 Mhz, it works fine for me.

Thank you for your help

regards

sangul

Encrypting traffic can be very intensive on slow processors. I would just get a faster router.

For decent VPN performances, you need at least 600Mhz MIPS CPU. WRT54GS is very old.
If you want to easily recognise high clocked routers, look for the one with gigabit ethernet, wireless N and USB ports for HDD sharing or network printing!

PS:
WiP means Work in Progress smile

Hello thank's for response. smile
Perhaps i will modify my old computer with ipcop or buy a netbook and install ipcop.
Then it's enough power preset to use 50 Mbit VDSL or Cable via openvpn! xD

regards

sangul

Some devices support  hardware acceleration for crypto. I don't know how far the progress is and if your devices support it.

Thank you i will test it at the weekend and write back here

regards

sangul

The discussion might have continued from here.