OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP Link WR1043ND 11n gigabit router

The content of this topic has been archived between 20 Jul 2013 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hi all,

I solved the problem. Just after flashing the latest original firmware from the tp-link website, I was able to flash the openWRT firmware from the webinterface.
Looks good so far.

Bye Bluse

Hi @ all,

yesterday i compiled the latest svn tree for this router with the profile for the wr1043nd.
The result 'bin' image i have flashed in my router and the system boots up.

The only problem i have is, that the network don't run.
The devices and bridge are up, but i have no connect to outside.
The Switch led for the connected port blinks by ping but i get no response...
(This ist with Firewall enabled or disabled the same)
I can not ping anything outside the box. (the box ip i can ping)

Have someone a tip for me to solve my problem ?

Here is my network config :
config 'switch' 'eth0'
        option 'vlan1' '1 2 3 4 5*'
        option 'vlan2' '0 5'

config 'interface' 'loopback'
        option 'ifname'  'lo'
        option 'proto'   'static'
        option 'ipaddr'  '127.0.0.1'
        option 'netmask' '255.0.0.0'

config 'interface' 'lan'
        option 'ifname'  'eth0.1 wlan0'
        option 'type'    'bridge'
        option 'proto'   'static'
        option 'ipaddr'  '192.168.254.222'
        option 'netmask' '255.255.255.0'
        option 'dns'     '192.168.254.11'
        option 'gateway' '192.168.254.11'

config 'interface' 'wan'
        option 'ifname'  'eth0.2'
        option 'proto'   'dhcp'

The next question ....
What you thinking about it :
Inside the router there is an SPI Flash chip with 8MB. Ok, but SPI ....
Is it not possible to use this bus to access an SD/MMC Card in SPI Mode ?
The only thing is a CS line for the card, but i think for testing we can use a line
from usb led by example.
So we can use the bootloader from the flash chip with an failsave linux and the kernel
can load then the mmc/sd card an switch rootfs to it...

What you thinking about this idea ......

Best reagrds,
MicroProz

P.S.: Sorry for my bad english ...

(Last edited by MicroProz on 29 Jan 2010, 12:17)

trunk doesnt support vlan for tplink 1043nd. You have to patch source.

@MicroProz: also kernel changed to version 2.6.32.x. Remember to add CONFIG_RTL8366RB_SMI=y  to default config: target/linux/ar71xx/config-2.6.32

Thank you for your informations.
I added the patches to my trunk and the network works.

Next step i do was the 64MB Ram mod. I soldered an 512MBit chip from an kingston ram module,
but the bootloader see only 4MB. So this ram chip (HYB25D512800DE-5) is not running.
Is see in the datasheet in this chip, that it is organised in 8 Bit, not 16Bit.
Ok, so i soldered back the original 32MB Ram chip and after boot i see 32MB ram BUT
the boot process hangs here :'(

This is the boot output over serial console :
AP83 (ar9100) U-boot 0.0.11
DRAM:
sri
32 MB

Then the box hang .... Damn ...

Has anybody an idea, why the system here hangs ?

I hope some one has an idea ....

Best regards,
MicroProz

All fine :-)

I solved my problem. The ram chip was not soldered perfektly.
I desoldered and soldered it again and now the box is runnning with the 32MB chip.

Best regards,
MicroProz

You do great work here!
I plan to buy a WR1043ND in the next view days.
I've read the whole discussion until here but I'm not sure if i understood everything correctly. I never had a openwrt router before. I had a Asus WL500g Premium running dd-wrt some time ago.
openwrt seems to be organised different to dd-wrt. With dd-wrt i flashed the most recent image and in most cases everything was fine and sometimes a little bit finer than before :-)
with openwrt it seems that i have to compile the firmware image first. the things i've read here were a little bit confusing for me. is there a simple step for step tutorial for compiling a firmware for a specific device? and how to apply patches? what is "svn" and what is "trunk" ?
The next thing which isn't clear is the webinterface. Does openwrt ship with or without a webinterface and what is LuCI and X-wrt? In this thread it seems that some settings should be faulty when they where set by the web interface. right?

I hope that someone can help me with this questions. I couldn't find any clear answers in the forum. The whole topic appears a little bit shematicly to me because i've never seen a openwrt router in action before :-)

regards, chris

check the Wiki, you can find out how to compile the firmware.
DD-WRT is more sutiable for end user which need a GUI, OpenWRT didn't come with one by default, the LuCI and X-WRT is GUI for OpenWRT, X-WRT is more easy to use, like tomato, LuCI will be more like the DD-WRT interface, but both of them just can do some simple config, same as DD-WRT
you don't need to Compile the firmware yourself, there are pre compile firmware, you can go to   X-WRT to get firmware with X-WRT build in
SVN and trunk talking here mean the source code stuff
currently the 1043 are NOT support in trunk, cause the trunk didn't have support for the 1043 switch, that why we are here to patch the source.

if you really need a new router now, you can consider the 941ND, the only different is FLash size and it is not gigabit, but the 941 already support in trunk. (but dunno if v4 support)
lastly, if you don't want to get a serial, better avoid the TP-Link, as TP-Link don't have any firmware recovery function, if you brick the router, you need the serial to recovery it.

(Last edited by DummyPLUG on 30 Jan 2010, 10:18)

Thanks! Really helpful answer!
I'll read the wiki for compiling the firmware.
A GUI would be very comfortable for "simple config" like you call it. more advanced things have to be configured manually, that's clear to me. Both has its special advantages.
I've "choosen" (https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=101645) the 1043 because i need a gigabit switch, a 802.11n accesspoint a usb printserver and a DSL-Router at the same place. :-) and a router with a running unix has some more advantages ;-)
I think i'll give it a try and order a 1043.
To build a serial cable should not become a problem.
I did some Hardware modifications to the Asus WL500g Premium, too. But now, after it was running perfect for over one year it's dead. The router reboots after a random period of time. Could be some seconds or even some hours. The problem persits with the original firmware, too :-(

I thought that was enough to send the file via the Web "openwrt-ar71xx-tl-wr1043nd-v1-squashfs-universal.bin" what is already a version r19380 and already the Router install LuCI or X-Wrt.
Just one question why are not ready versions as the DD-WRT
I bought this router to have your support and how I just wanted to hook up a USB port moden usb 3g thought it would be difficult ... I do not compile

Hi, I'm new here and I'm not guru in Linux.
A few days ago, I bought a new tl-wr1043nd  and uploaded to him a Shibby's firmware from 23-Jan-2010 (Thanx Shibby, good job). Every this is OK, but I have problem with usb storage formated to Fat32. dmesg said me:
FAT: codepage cp437 not found

So I instaled it with command:
opkg install kmod-nls-cp437

This command ended successfully. When I wrote:
opkg list-installed | grep nls-cp437

I can see:
kmod-nls-cp437 - 2.6.32.7-1.

Command cat /etc/modules.d/25-nls-cp437 return me:
nls-cp437

So file exists and has rights -rw-rw-r--.When I now restrart router and write:
lsmod | grep nls-cp437

nothing is returned, so module is not loaded. When I try load modul manually with:
insmod nls_cp437

insmod return nothing, but module is not loaded to.
Where is the problem? What do I wrong? Pls help me.

None of you want to be good soul and put on youtube the installation since "openwrt-ar71xx-tl-wr1043nd-v1-squashfs-universal" until the router to be working.
I do not see anything but Linux would like to install OpenWrt on my router to be able to connect the modem 3g

apg wrote:

None of you want to be good soul and put on youtube the installation since "openwrt-ar71xx-tl-wr1043nd-v1-squashfs-universal" until the router to be working.
I do not see anything but Linux would like to install OpenWrt on my router to be able to connect the modem 3g

really dunno what you mean, but it is not that simple to just flash a firmware and able to connect using your 3G modem, at least for OpenWRT.
for basic setup, then yes, it can be done in Luci and X-WRT, for something like connect via 3G modem, you need to do many config and play with linux.

I've ordered my 1043 now!
I hope it arrives soon!

and how to get IPTV to work?

danu2000 wrote:

and how to get IPTV to work?

i have the same problem (get iptv from wan to lan port(s)) and what I have learned is that it is necessary to compile a kernel with multicast support, but till now i dont know how. then probably also the igmpproxy

option multicast is already compiled into kernel:

$ grep MULTICAST .config
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y

obsy wrote:

We (in poland) have two working images
1 already announced shibby's image http://openwrt.groov.pl/WR1043NDv1/
2 and mine http://eko.one.pl/?p=openwrt-wr1043nd#g … razdotestw

try one of them... (description only in Polish, sorry)

I installed your version on the router but now even though he does not have to ping the web interface?? I have to install anything else?
When fasso access by putty ssh appears in "OpenWrt eko r19380"
I would appreciate help

Because this GUI is not installed. And first telnet into router and set password - as in normal openwrt.

obsy wrote:

Because this GUI is not installed. And first telnet into router and set password - as in normal openwrt.

Ok Obsy already had access via putty in telnet and set up a password. But what he really liked was a step by step to install LuCI

opkg update
opkg install uci-admin-full luci-theme-openwrt
Schugy wrote:

This is my /etc/config/wireless file that has good performance so far.
On a FSC Amilo PA3553 with Atheros N-WiFi running windows 7 the filetransfer from my plugged in usbstick through webif file editor started out at 1,8 MB/sec when signal quality was 3/5 or 4/5.
When signal is excellent the mode changes to 8 - 14 MB/sec (~12 MB/sec average).
Wireless on my Marvell SD8686 G-WiFi works too. I'm still little worried about the Tx excessive retries and Invalid misc.

I use that wireless configuration and net. usb adapter tl-wn821n. On distance 1,5 meter it reports speed 300Mbit/sec but maximum transfer is about 4 MByte/sec. With tp-link SW and windows SW the speed is the same. I wonder if i can change s.t. to improve the transfer speed...

I do the test with a ntfs 500GB disk connected to the USB port. With a cable and 1Gbit net. adapter i obtain about 7MBytes/s.

obsy wrote:
opkg update
opkg install uci-admin-full luci-theme-openwrt

Obsy when I access the putty to ssh after the log and pass and put

Code:
opkg update
uci opkg install-admin-full luci-theme-openwrt

Collect errors:
* Opkg_install_cmd: Can not Install package uci-admin-full.
* Opkg_install_cmd: Can not Install Package luci-theme-openwrt.

Thanks

does your router have internet access?
check your ip configuration!

I've got one question, too.
What is the different between obsys and shibbys image?

Sorry, posts 151 to 150 are missing from our archive.