OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WNDR3700 LAN --> WAN performance

The content of this topic has been archived between 28 Apr 2018 and 30 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Cou could deactivate the firewall for tinyproxy at all ( /etc/init.d/firewall stop) to be sure. Also verify with "netstat -lnp" that tinyproxy is listening on the right interfaces (e.g. 0.0.0.0 for all interfaces).

Thanks for the help.  I'll try when I get home and let you know what happens.

I should point out that on my latest build of the backfire branch, with no packages, things were fast (as mentioned before) but again, I couldn't get tinyproxy working.  It doesn't make any sense!  :-)  I even restored the cfg files from a build where it was working and it was STILL broken.

On the device itself, I can connect to tinyproxy with wget http://localhost:8888/ but NOT wget http://192.168.1.1:8888/, so you're right, it might not be listening on the correct interface.

what das "netstat -lnp | grep tinyproxy" say

It says the following:

root@OpenWrt:/etc/config# netstat -lnp | grep tinyproxy
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:8888          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN       2219/tinyproxy

Ok, so it seems that was the issue.  According to the tinyproxy documentation, it's supposed to listen on all interfaces by default.  However, for some reason, the build in OpenWRT was only listening on 127.0.0.1.

I added "Listen 0.0.0.0" to the config file and restarted and now I have no issue connecting.  That's an easy one to solve.  Do you think I should file a bug for this?

Now, I'll try to do a build using the packages that I need and we'll see whether or not that will work, I'll include your LAN fix as well. 

Thanks for the help!  Hopefully everything works well moving forward.

big_smile - don't know if you should file a bug ... i allways explicitly give the interfaces where services should listen on - regardless of what defaults are ...

(Last edited by Memphis on 5 Aug 2010, 08:15)

Yeah, it's probably not a bad call.  Nothing like being explicit in what you're looking for!

Ok, I'm only posting this here in case someone else encounters the issue.  Having said that, I can't believe how stupid I was... :-D

So it turns out the problem was that I was using the default speed values in the QOS package.  Once I changed the values to my actual connection speed the router behaved as expected.

I'm using the latest build of the backfire branch and it is nice and quick, easily performing as well as my WRT54GL.

Memphis, thank you for all your help.  I learned a ton about OpenWRT in the process.

The discussion might have continued from here.