OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Atheros only! - Next Generation Piranha firmware (v4) + AAP (v3)

The content of this topic has been archived between 20 Aug 2015 and 21 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Mavy wrote:

Seth7: i do have a place to host it.

Hopefully ill be able to test the image i made tonight. If it works all we need is an OK from orange.

Great news.

I am really busy this time of year and I still don't have time to mess around with doing my own image.

If we get a brand new image that would make it ideal, really.

Thank you for all the work orange and the people that helped create the image !

Mavy wrote:

Seth7: i do have a place to host it.

Hopefully ill be able to test the image i made tonight. If it works all we need is an OK from orange.

Did the image work?

On first test it appears to work ok on the fon+. However when i tried it with my normal fon it did not find any networks.

As i am not sure if this is a image issue or a hw issue ill be doing some more tests over the week.

Ok ... all I have are plain ole 2100's.
Would love to reduce its power consumption ... like the 2200 ....!!!

Mavy wrote:

On first test it appears to work ok on the fon+. However when i tried it with my normal fon it did not find any networks.

As i am not sure if this is a image issue or a hw issue ill be doing some more tests over the week.

Well .... it didn't work?

Ping ...

Mavy,  you still with us?

Mavy wrote:

If it works all we need is an OK from orange.

Not sure what the current status is. I just wanted to say: Sure, do it!

Mavy? ??

It would be great if we can get a prebuild image.

I have been busy and this would save me ( and I bet others ) loads of time !

Almost 2 months since Mavy said anything ....

Seth7 wrote:

Almost 2 months since Mavy said anything ....

Friends,

while I currently have no time to provide a new pre-built OpenWrt image with AAPv3 built-in, I actually don't really understand why you won't configure it manually for the time being?! At https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=140797#p140797 I described the steps (two of them actually) to get it working (with a minor restriction) on all Backfire releases up to 10.03.1. I'd like to encourage you just trying it - it's very easy to configure (approximately 2% more effort than just installing stock OpenWrt w/o AAP).

best,
orange

(Last edited by orange on 11 Jun 2012, 15:48)

First off all sorry for not doing this earlier, I've had so much work on my plate i just didn't get around to this.

I have uploaded the latest images i had. They might have some minor bugs that need fixing but all the scripts and tools are in there.
You can find the here.

If you find any issues please let me know, I am sure we can work out the issues together smile

Cool deal, not sure which 1 do you like moment ... but ill give it a shot on a Fon2100 ... Wish there was a way to tone down the heat generation of this thing!

Seth7 wrote:

Cool deal, not sure which 1 do you like moment ... but ill give it a shot on a Fon2100 ... Wish there was a way to tone down the heat generation of this thing!

All the images in that folder are the same build, they are just different versions for different flash methods and hardware.
As for the heat, i installed a small fan on my f2100. I removed the entire shield and placed an old chip set fan directly onto the cpu.

@Seth7
If you're not that used to Redboot-based (manual) flashing, I recommend FonFlash available at http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download.php for flashing your Fon 2100/2200. As of the right images, you should use openwrt-atheros-root.squashfs and openwrt-atheros-vmlinux.lzma

There is one thing with FonFlash that is rather annoying but unfortunately ignored by developers: It does a "fis init" to initialize the flash rom while it should do a "fis init -f" instead. This seems to be rather minor but actually it isn't. If you happen to encounter some very strange behavior of the device after flashing whatever OpenWrt image with FonFlash (especially after migrating from dd-wrt), you should manually connect to Redboot, place a "fis init -f" and continue flashing with FonFlash. This is just to share some experience, you may not even notice that issue (if you're lucky).

best,
orange

(Last edited by orange on 20 Jun 2012, 09:27)

WOW. Thanks so much to all of you ! This makes my life so much easier now.

Orange, thank you for the fis init -f tip. I always manually flash on my EOC 2611P and this FonFlash automagix never worked. Any way we can modify the source to include "-f" part ?

Thanks for the images, Mavy !

bulanula wrote:

Orange, thank you for the fis init -f tip. I always manually flash on my EOC 2611P and this FonFlash automagix never worked. Any way we can modify the source to include "-f" part ?

Sure, while it would be way better to fix it upstream, you certainly may fix it yourself by modifying the src and recompile. The fonflash src is at http://www.gargoyle-router.com/gargoyle … /fon-flash

(Last edited by orange on 21 Jun 2012, 12:37)

Would it be an idea to make pre-compiled versions to go with piranha?

I got the source and I am trying to figure out how to do the modification properly in all parts of the code.

Linux 64 here.

No luck with modifying the source. There are too many files.

I even did the manual "fis init -f" with Redboot then used Fon Flash and it still did not work.

Guess Fon Flash just does not like my EOC 2610 device.

Anyone know the default IP for the router in this latest image : 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 or other ?

Thanks and will report success or failure soon.

EDIT : Got it FINALLY working but still there seems to be some problems ( airodump-ng does not work ).

IP is dynamic so I had to use dhclient to get it connected. No wonder I thought the FW did not work before because the device was nowhere to be seen on 192.168.1.* subnet !

(Last edited by bulanula on 27 Jun 2012, 23:21)

Thats weird. I thought i had it setup to use the 192.168.1.254 ip.

I will check this in the image and upload a fixed one this weekend. Should you find more bugs or issues let me know.

Yeah. The IP was 172.127.1.11 for some strange reason ...

Ok i have updated the image. It now boots with a default IP of 192.168.1.254
It turned out i had forgotten to reset the IP after i did a build for my test setup.

Mavy wrote:

Ok i have updated the image. It now boots with a default IP of 192.168.1.254
It turned out i had forgotten to reset the IP after i did a build for my test setup.

No other changes ?

It is a pain for me to flash manually with TFTP server etc.

And catching that stupid micro Redboot ...

(Last edited by bulanula on 28 Jun 2012, 19:06)