I decided to do some testing with my Droid phone and this WZR-HP-G300NH router. I ran a large download for an Android game on the phone and tried to determine which settings made the download proceed the best. I have been having endless disconnects trying to get the 620MB for this program so this is the main motivator I suppose. I rarely download this much to the phone.
OpenWRT - With WPA/WPA2, 802.11b mode is the most stable. g/n modes cause the phone to fail transferring in a minute or so.
DDWRT - Same results.
Buffalo 1.76 - By far the most stable. The download went for 10 minutes and pulled in almost the entire 600MB while connected at 802.11n 65mbps w/ WPA2 AES. It has never been able to do this regardless of settings on OpenWRT or DDWRT.
A rooted Android OS allows you to tweak the tiwlan.ini file. I tried disabling all power save features and WME (aka WMM). This did not alleviate the problems with OpenWRT or DDWRT.
I am wondering if the problems on OpenWRT and DDWRT are exacerbated by a high download rate. I have a 15mbps connection that can spike at 2-4MB/s occasionally. On 802.11b it can't go above around 900KB/s and this was the most stable mode with those firmwares.
Anyway, the Buffalo firmware seems to be by far the most stable firmware when it comes to TI OMAP wifi on the Droid phone.
(Last edited by swaaye on 19 Sep 2011, 02:56)