OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Build for WNDR3700/WNDR3800

The content of this topic has been archived between 9 Jul 2013 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Whats better with musl than uClibc?

written_direcon wrote:

Whats better with musl than uClibc?

Apparently musl is smaller and possibly more efficient.
one comparison: http://www.etalabs.net/compare_libcs.html

Based on some googling, it is getting more popular than uclibc, which seems rather dead. Last uclibc release was three years ago.

Timezones are not working in trunk with musl:
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/19901

EDIT:
June 23rd: timezone handling has been fixed.

(Last edited by hnyman on 23 Jun 2015, 11:58)

Downloading CC R46155 today, I notice that recent builds have a different filename ("-sqfs-" instead of "-squashfs-"). Is that just a name change or is there a new format?

Also, I'm assuming that CC is still in the RC1 phase?

Hi hnyman, how can I install kmod-macvlan on your build Chaos Calmer? I have no way to download kmod-macvlan ipk compiled together with the kernel of your customized images, so in order to use macvlan, I now have to flash the official image to my router. Can you provide kmod-macvlan compilation matching your builds of OpenWrt, or better, integrate kmod-macvlan into OpenWrt builds?

I'm having trouble getting the ntpd server working with your build. Its not accepting connections on 123, but it is running (confirmed via ps). Any thoughts?

No thoughts. I have done no changes or special config for the built-in ntpd functionality. I haven't checked if the server in enabled by default. You might need to change config to enable also server, not just client.

(Last edited by hnyman on 17 Jul 2015, 09:52)

hnyman wrote:

No thoughts. I have done no changes or special config for the built-in ntpd functionality. I haven't checked if the server in enabled by default. You might need to change config to enable also server, not just client.

Alright I've found it only listens on IPv6 and not IPv4 for some reason. Guess I'll just install the full ntpd then.

hnyman, at least let me know if this is a question not worth your answer then I will not wait.

chromatid wrote:

Hi hnyman, how can I install kmod-macvlan on your build Chaos Calmer? I have no way to download kmod-macvlan ipk compiled together with the kernel of your customized images, so in order to use macvlan, I now have to flash the official image to my router. Can you provide kmod-macvlan compilation matching your builds of OpenWrt, or better, integrate kmod-macvlan into OpenWrt builds?

According to his instructions, his build should be compatible with the official packages. So just "opkg install --force-checksum kmod-macvlan" should work.

I ever tried 'opkg install --force-depends kmod-macvlan' on hnyman's several releases including CC and trunk. But then every time I executed 'ip link add link eth1 mac0 type macvlan', OpenWrt crashed into restart.

chromatid wrote:

I ever tried 'opkg install --force-depends kmod-macvlan' on hnyman's several releases including CC and trunk. But then every time I executed 'ip link add link eth1 mac0 type macvlan', OpenWrt crashed into restart.

When installing kmod modules by forcing dependencies, you have to be really careful about the correct kernel versions: kernel version in the firmware needs to match the download repo kernel.

Trunk kernel was updated today to 4.1.3 (which is included in my build 46441), but the downloadable trunk snapshot modules are still 3.18.18, as buildbot has not yet built new 4.1 modules for ar71xx. Similarly my last week's 46391 build was already built with kernel 3.18.18 , while the rc3 builds available have been made with 3.18.17.

Of my current builds, CC build chaos-r46287-20150709 should have 3.18.17 kernel, but you need to manually download the 3.18.17 kmod-macvlan from the rc3 download repo.

The easiest way to include the correct module to my firmware is to re-create my build environment (see post #2), change the config to include kmod-macvlan and to re-compile your personal firmaware.

(Last edited by hnyman on 22 Jul 2015, 21:36)

I noticed that kmod must exactly match the kernel version in the firmware. I did try 'opkg install' with both automatically downloaded and manually selected kmod-macvlan so that the downloaded macvlan package can be closest in time to your releases. However, the trouble I found is, at least kmod-macvlan module requires not only kernel of same major version, but also of exactly same minor version include hash string, e.g.  the whole 3.18.17-1-5dcb66d04a38219f7fd91c748f0e9a32 must match. It's impossible for me to get a macvlan package fully matching kernel versions in your compilations.

As you mentioned, I can compile my own firmware using your build environment, but it's much less convenient than your existing releases, after all, macvlan is my only additional need. Kmod-maclvan is as tiny as 9k, could you integrate it into your releases?

I might do that later, after I'm return from summer holidays. But I have tried to keep firmware unbloated, and I have no need for that functionality myself. So it is uncertain...

I can understand. Thank you for having considered it.

Can anyone please build this for wdr3600 ? Im not expert with this. Thanks in advance.

I no longer find builds for WNDR3800 in the download folder.
Did you stop providing pre-made builds for WNDR3800 or should we use the same builds as for WNDR3700?

I just checked and 3800 builds are there quite normally. (At least for the most  recent 20150806 builds).

Oh, my bad, indeed the WNDR3800 builds are "last" in the WNDR3700 folders. Sorry for the noise.
I haven't updated for a while and mistakenly remembered there was a separate folder for WNDR3800 (and the root folder being named "hnyman WNDR3700 Openwrt build" helped putting me off-track ;-)
Again, please excuse the noise and thanks for all your work.

I currently get crashes from collectd's DNS plugin (Luci statistics, DNS). It does not seem to like kernel 4.1 and has started to crash collectd since the kernel bump a few weeks ago. I have filed a bug both in Openwrt and collectd bug trackers, but have so far found no reason for the crashiness, nor have I succeeding in properly debugging the crash :-(

https://github.com/openwrt/packages/issues/1660
https://github.com/collectd/collectd/issues/1227

Hi Hnyman,

Please, can you present us on the first page your default settings for network, DHCP and firewall?

Furthermore, I still have the problem of IPv6 br-lan. After each reboot I have to click "connect" to get IPv6 public on the lan interface.

Manani wrote:

Please, can you present us on the first page your default settings for network, DHCP and firewall?

If you check the diff/patch files that I provide with each build, you will notice that there are no modifications from me regarding network, DHCP or firewall defaults. They are the Openwrt defaults, described in wiki etc.

On my own router I then separately config the 6in4 tunnel, port forwards etc., but not much else.

Manani wrote:

Furthermore, I still have the problem of IPv6 br-lan. After each reboot I have to click "connect" to get IPv6 public on the lan interface.

I have an 6in4 tunnel myself, so I can't offer help on the native ipv6 functionality. But I didn't quite understand you details: the router does not get public ipv6 address? or does not propagate/delegate the prefix into the LAN network? You might need to write a specific thread about the issue to get answers from ipv6 experts.

Thank you for your kind attention.
After each reboot only the wan and wan6 have public IPv6. Then I click "connect" for IPv6 on the lan interface. The propagation of the IPv6 is well on clients. The routing fails because of a default in nexthop management by the Freebox. A discussion is open to users of the Freebox.
As IPv6 has already worked with me, I wonder about the origin of the regrssion? Freebox or OpenWRT?

nice work, one day I will try post 2, haha

Chaos Calmer 15.05 r46848:
Chaos Calmer 15.05 has been finally released. I updated my CC15.05 to download opkg packages from the 15.05 release repo.
(That required me to manually add the new signing key from 15.05 release packages, as developers had erroneously used a new signing key instead of the "15.05 release key" in the CC svn repo.
EDIT: developers have fixed the key with r46910)

Trunk / Designated Driver r 46846:
Trunk has been named as Designated Driver.
(the renaming is currently incomplete in Openwrt svn repo, so I patched include/toplevel.mk myself.
EDIT: trunk renaming was completed by r46899 )

(Last edited by hnyman on 14 Sep 2015, 21:38)