OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Was IMQ removed from trunk ?

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Was imq support removed from trunk ?
If so , how can i emulate the AB mode from IMQ ?

colchaodemola wrote:

Was imq support removed from trunk ?
If so , how can i emulate the AB mode from IMQ ?

What is the benefit of using imq instead just using tc with htb qdisc? I haven't heard it is worth the trouble...

are there any examples how new to use new kernel package that is used to replace IMQ?

root@OpenWrt:/etc# tc filter add dev eth0 parent ffff: protocol ip u32 match u32 0 0 flowid 1:10 action mirred egress redirect dev ifb0
RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument
We have an error talking to the kernel

I tried everything. I have kmod-ifb.
What am I doing wrong? How to use ifb with OpenWRT?

(Last edited by BboyMC on 10 Mar 2012, 09:22)

In my view IMQ is more powerful than IFB especially when the host is a NATing router as OpenWRT is.  Specifically there is appears to be no way to classify traffic using the local IP address using IFB.  For QoS this is a serious deficiency.  There is also woefully little information on how to use IFB so I think the OpenWRT are not doing themselves any favors by removing IMQ from the trunk.

Fortunately IMQ lives on over at its home www.linuximq.net so it is possible to patch OpenWRT to restore this functionality.

(Last edited by pbix on 10 Mar 2012, 23:27)

Fully agree with you. IFB is not able to replace IMQ. so i still do not see the point removing it from trunk.. Now i have to patch by myself every time.

(Last edited by colchaodemola on 16 Mar 2012, 13:35)

The point in removing it from trunk is that it is a pain to maintain with bleeding edge kernels.

colchaodemola wrote:

Fully agree with you. IFB is not able to replace IMQ. so i still do not see the point removing it from trunk.. Now i have to patch by myself every time.

Can you please share instructions for patching on the forum or even better on the wiki and share a link. Thank you very much in advance!

The discussion might have continued from here.