OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: HELP - simply instructions to return a TPL MR3420 back to STD

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

I know this is probably viewed as a crazy request but just bought this router and even though I am fairly computer literate never mucked about with firmware etc etc.

So can anyone give me a hand to return the router back to factory firmware, I have successfully telnet'd into the router and it seems to have the following interface:

BusyBox v1.18.5 (2011-06-28 etc etc

I have tried to read the forum posts and confused about having to cut the first part of firmware ?

Downloaded the latest firmware from TP Link' site so now need a little bit of help to either install an openWRT with a web interface ?

Only thing I am going to do with the router is use it for a 3G connection when I travel, nothing clever at all.

As it appears to maybe better than the bog std sky router then I was going to play around using it as the main router linked to the sky one ?

Appreciate the forum is more for people wanting to be unconstrained but just do not have the knowledge to understand.

Thanks for any input

Ian

Have now tried a few things, currently been trying putty to do firmware upgrade using mtd command. Cannot mount the USB stick for some reason and not sure how to load the various packs suggested for USB, assume it needs an internet connection into the WAN port ?

Appreciate any help at all

Scruffy thanks for pointing me in the right direct install LUCI now got a web interface have no quite sorted if I have config'd the USB for my 3G dongle yet but I will test that later for now I have the box running over my sky netgear to give wireless coverage, so that is a good start as far as I am concerned.

Let's try one step at a time, does anyone know if I can use the LUCI firmware update functionality to return to the factory firmware tried it and got nothing other than a login message ?

Thanks again for any advice

Zero Punctuation?

Hi Scruffy,

Sorry for the poor English, never was my strong point.

I managed to install LUCI and log in and the router is up and running even with 300mbps.

So I then hit a few issues with the 3G ended up installing  and un-installing a few packages which I am now a bit lost on so intend to re-install the base firmware and try again the 3G USB.

I was getting some error messages which I was going to post once I had tried as much as I can on my own.

Thanks again

Ian

All sorted back to STD for me as could not get to grips with the 3g connecting etc.
Thanks for providing me a place to get at least the router back to std.

Hello Noidea,
It seems to me that I'm having issue as you had, I'm also trying to get back to the original firmware.  I've installed OpenWRT without the web interface and now I don't know how can I install drivers into the router (I also happen to have the TP-Link mr3420) - The Internet connection I have is only through USB modem which isn't recognized by the router. I was trying to upload some files to the router by LAN using tftpserver but I nothing seems to work so far.
Thanks

to upload some files you can use winscp on windows just choose as file protocol scp and you are ready to go...

another way (maybe better) to build your own repository on your computer with an apache web server (or something similar)

there are some howto's on the web and in the forum
than you can install the packages with>> opkg install luci

joshke wrote:

to upload some files you can use winscp on windows just choose as file protocol scp and you are ready to go...

I agree with u..
simple using winscp
save image in /tmp

use image include luci it's easy step

(Last edited by mang on 28 Aug 2011, 00:07)

The discussion might have continued from here.