OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: sam's firmware collections for TP-Link WR703N

The content of this topic has been archived between 6 Feb 2018 and 1 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

As Sam hasn't posted since Feb, its probably safe to say its unlikely to happen.

jpearn wrote:

I'm having a problem loading the NAS firmware (my device is v1.6). I've loaded the .bin file from the chinese firmware update page, however this bricks the device. Checking the serial output, I'm getting a 'kernel panic'. I can load other versions of openwrt OK and I have been running dd-wrt also, swapping between and back to the stock firmware. Is there something I'm missing ?? Can the NAS firmware be flashed straight from the web page on a 1.6 device ??

Thanks !

Boy, I wish I'd read this post before attempting the upgrade. After my success the other day with applying OpenWRT I thought I'd put the NAS firmware on it. So I gaily attempted the firmware update via the web page, without reading the rest of this thread, and lo and behold, I have a non-working v1.6 device.

Looks like it's time to learn how to solder...

(Last edited by 600cc on 16 May 2012, 13:42)

I'm hoping that one of you can help me.  I bought a TP-Link TL-WR702N, and it arrived today with Chinese firmware (and a Chinese manual).  I downloaded the English firmware from the TP-Link site, figured out how to log into the device (different default IP than English version), and figured out how to get to the chinese firmware upgrade screen.  However, the screen does not allow you to search your local drive and select the upgrade firmware.  Instead, it has a place for the firmware name and a place for a TFTP address.  Everything else on the screen is in Chinese, so I have no idea what it says.  I don't know how to tell it to find and load the English firmware.

While searching for on the internet for a solution, I came across this site.  I see that you say to load your custom firmware from the web "in the usual way," but I have no idea what that means.  I would be grateful for directions or a link to an explanation about how to update the firmware on this device.  I apologize for being a bit off topic.  Thanks for your help.

Classpro wrote:

I'm hoping that one of you can help me.  I bought a TP-Link TL-WR702N, and it arrived today with Chinese firmware (and a Chinese manual).  I downloaded the English firmware from the TP-Link site, figured out how to log into the device (different default IP than English version), and figured out how to get to the chinese firmware upgrade screen.  However, the screen does not allow you to search your local drive and select the upgrade firmware.  Instead, it has a place for the firmware name and a place for a TFTP address.  Everything else on the screen is in Chinese, so I have no idea what it says.  I don't know how to tell it to find and load the English firmware.

While searching for on the internet for a solution, I came across this site.  I see that you say to load your custom firmware from the web "in the usual way," but I have no idea what that means.  I would be grateful for directions or a link to an explanation about how to update the firmware on this device.  I apologize for being a bit off topic.  Thanks for your help.

All the discussions here are for 703n.  I don't think 702n has enough memory to use the firmware.  Please check this link: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=150088

I want to load TP-Link's 702n english firmware, not openwrt.  Just trying to figure out the method to install it and hoping one of you more experienced people can help.

Classpro wrote:

I want to load TP-Link's 702n english firmware, not openwrt.  Just trying to figure out the method to install it and hoping one of you more experienced people can help.

As far as I know, there's no English firmware for 7xxs.  The only choice is using Openwrt, if it works on the router.

The English firmware is available on TP-Link's website.   

http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/downl … =TL-WR702N

The problem is that I can't figure out how to install it.  The firmware update screen in the Chinese version does not have a simple local loader.  I'd post a screen print of the screen, but I don't see an option on here to load an image.

600cc wrote:
jpearn wrote:

I'm having a problem loading the NAS firmware (my device is v1.6). I've loaded the .bin file from the chinese firmware update page, however this bricks the device. Checking the serial output, I'm getting a 'kernel panic'. I can load other versions of openwrt OK and I have been running dd-wrt also, swapping between and back to the stock firmware. Is there something I'm missing ?? Can the NAS firmware be flashed straight from the web page on a 1.6 device ??

Thanks !

Boy, I wish I'd read this post before attempting the upgrade. After my success the other day with applying OpenWRT I thought I'd put the NAS firmware on it. So I gaily attempted the firmware update via the web page, without reading the rest of this thread, and lo and behold, I have a non-working v1.6 device.

hey guys
i also have a new v1.6 703N
i am afraid to flash, could someone confirm that this firmware works pls!!??

xbaha wrote:
600cc wrote:
jpearn wrote:

Thanks !

hey guys
i also have a new v1.6 703N
i am afraid to flash, could someone confirm that this firmware works pls!!??

The pulseaudio build that I tried yesterday bricked my v1.6 - however, the trunk version on the WR703n wiki page loads fine. I do wish I could use the pulseaudio one, I am trying to compile my own version from trunk, but it ain't easy. Sam did a ton of work changing things.

I flashed my v1.6 703n with Sam's pulseaudio build a week or so ago and it's not working. I thought I might have done something wrong, but it seems like other people are having similar issues.

I'm waiting on my usb ttl device to unbrick it.

Do Not Use These Firmwares On Your Newer Device Version 1.6

It Will Brick Your Router

Both Firmwares Need Updating To Support The Latest 703n

You Have Been Warned!

I didn't read the 2 last pages and I also bricked my 1.6 703.n by flashing from OpenWRT firm via browser with Nas firm.
After resetting it, I can access 192.168.1.1 via telnet but impossible to set a password or to write on it, seems to be a "read only" device.

Can I go back to orginal or open ? how ?
thanks

Hello,
it seems that this firmware should not be used with the latest device v1.6 but can someone confirm if it's safe with v1.5 ?

Thanks.

ceew wrote:

You Have Been Warned!

What is different with new 1.6 devices?

I saw that warning, and that is why I am not trying it on my device.
I would like to see the networking and wireless config files used in that firmware.

Thanks,
M.

Who? wrote:

Hello,
it seems that this firmware should not be used with the latest device v1.6 but can someone confirm if it's safe with v1.5 ?

Thanks.

I've intalled the nas firmware and it works perfectly on a v1.5 device. Thanks a lot for your work Mr Sam smile

The only thing i haven't yet understand is how works openvpn... if someone can give me a hint it would be great smile

valentt wrote:
ceew wrote:

You Have Been Warned!

What is different with new 1.6 devices?

I have no idea

but a $20 brick is quite expensive

Need someone to update it
Cheers

valentt wrote:

I also bricked few 703n routers, but friend of mine managed to bring them all back.

This firmware works on v1.6 for me, use it on your own risk:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6nhf4zxqpzmmf46/703.bin

Is this firmware oK for tethering?
That's the only thing I need.

Please help me.
Today I was installing http://xbox-remote.googlecode.com/files … actory.bin  In TL-WR703N.

how do I restore the factory software?

lost connection to the computer.
trying to address is 192.168.1.1
but nothing.

please how can I restore it.
I wait your answer
Thank

(Last edited by fmnotes on 12 Jul 2012, 14:57)

Hi, s7mx1, first , please forgive my poor english.

I download your nas code and compile it , it works fine. Then I use a 8M flash to replace the 4M flash. To support the 8M flash,I modify the source code in two files,they are mktplinkfw.c and mach-tl-wr703n.c .

mach-tl-wr703n.c :
static struct mtd_partition tl_wr703n_parts[] = {
    {
        .name        = "u-boot",
        .offset        = 0,
        .size        = 0x020000,
        .mask_flags    = MTD_WRITEABLE,
    }, {
        .name        = "kernel",
        .offset        = 0x020000,
        .size        = 0x100000,
    }, {
        .name        = "rootfs",
        .offset        = 0x120000, 
        .size        = 0x6d0000,  //0x2d0000
    }, {
        .name        = "art",
        .offset        = 0x7f0000,  //0x3f0000
        .size        = 0x010000,
        .mask_flags    = MTD_WRITEABLE,
    }, {
        .name        = "firmware",
        .offset        = 0x020000,
        .size        = 0x7d0000,  //0x3d0000
    }
};

mktplinkfw.c :

.id        = "TL-WR703Nv1",
        .hw_id        = HWID_TL_WR703N_V1,
        .hw_rev        = 1,
        .fw_max_len    = 0x7c0000,  //0x3c0000
        .kernel_la    = 0x80060000,
        .kernel_ep    = 0x80060000,
        .rootfs_ofs    = 0x100000,

I flash the new firmware to my 8M flash, but it can't identify the 8M flash, the partition is same as the 4M, like this:

Creating 5 MTD partitions on "spi0.0":
0x000000000000-0x000000020000 : "u-boot"
0x000000020000-0x000000120000 : "kernel"
0x000000120000-0x0000003f0000 : "rootfs"
mtd: partition "rootfs" set to be root filesystem
mtd: partition "rootfs_data" created automatically, ofs=399000, len=57000
0x000000399000-0x0000003f0000 : "rootfs_data"
0x0000003f0000-0x000000400000 : "art"
0x000000020000-0x0000003f0000 : "firmware"

how can I make the firmware support the 8M flash? thanks

black_shadow wrote:

Hi, s7mx1, first , please forgive my poor english [...]

Just for your information, note that s7mx1 hasn't posted since February 2012.

mim wrote:
black_shadow wrote:

Hi, s7mx1, first , please forgive my poor english [...]

Just for your information, note that s7mx1 hasn't posted since February 2012.

thanks for your remind