OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-MR3020 Support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Jun 2013 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hello,

I have bought recently a mr3020 v1.9 and updated to latest tplink firmware than flashed official openwrt for it. Now the wps led is on always and I can't connect to it over wifi.

Hello, i m noob, I've changed LAN connect to PPoE protocol so now i can't open User Interface in browser with ip 192.168.1.1. What should i do now?

Wingman2k wrote:

@somplak sure here you go, no problem. Same packages as last time.

make image PROFILE=TLMR3020 PACKAGES="block-mount kmod-fs-ext4 kmod-usb-storage"

openwrt-15.05.1-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
openwrt-15.05.1-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory.bin

btw the switch script with symlink to /etc/config/, does work again in 15.05.1 so you can use that one if you prefer.

Thank you for these!

I have tried both builds, minidlna is not working for me, has anyone got this to work? Here is my minidlna.log

[2016/10/26 12:59:36] minidlna.c:1026: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.1.4.
[2016/10/26 12:59:36] minidlna.c:355: warn: Creating new database at /tmp/run/minidlna/files.db
[2016/10/26 12:59:36] minidlna.c:1065: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200
[2016/10/26 12:59:36] getifaddr.c:109: error: Network interface wlan0 not found
[2016/10/26 12:59:36] scanner.c:726: warn: Scanning /mnt
[2016/10/26 12:59:38] getifaddr.c:109: error: Network interface wlan0 not found
[2016/10/26 12:59:38] getifaddr.c:109: error: Network interface wlan0 not found
[2016/10/26 12:59:41] getifaddr.c:109: error: Network interface wlan0 not found
[2016/10/26 13:10:01] getifaddr.c:109: error: Network interface wlan0 not found
[2016/10/26 20:11:20] minidlna.c:154: warn: received signal 15, good-bye
[2016/10/26 20:11:38] minidlna.c:1026: warn: Starting MiniDLNA version 1.1.4.
[2016/10/26 20:11:38] minidlna.c:355: warn: Creating new database at /tmp/run/minidlna/files.db
[2016/10/26 20:11:38] scanner.c:726: warn: Scanning /mnt
[2016/10/26 20:11:38] minidlna.c:1065: warn: HTTP listening on port 8200

I have only one video in /mnt directory and interface wlan0  is named correctly and up an running.

Anyone know what is going on?

(Last edited by Cantenna on 26 Oct 2016, 21:15)

Wingman2k wrote:

15.05 is out, here is the image with block-mount kmod-fs-ext4  kmod-usb-storage included.
openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory.bin?dl=0]openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory.bin
openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin?dl=0]openwrt-15.05-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin

@samri.nasser did you lost your radio or art? because you are asking for the dump?

I'm using your flash image, no luci web gateway, waste my time tried to find a way to create a new image for my router, no gateway & no opkg, how can I do it?

Hello,
is it possible to assign wifi ON/OFF action on WPS button

Hi Guys,

I just have bought an MR3020. Mine has rev1.2 written on the board. I tried to get serial console up, but I just couldn't succeed.

What I have done is, basicly, what's written on product wiki page. I couldn't get anything out of my serial connection setup, I have checked everything several times, although whole thing seems quite simple.

One difference with the version on wiki page and my device is that mine has board rev1.2.

Does anyone know any serial related difference on this board compared to rev1.1?

I have tried with and without 10k pullup resistor, no luck

Any suggestions at all apart from what's written on wiki?

any help will be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

Cihan Esen

Hi papates

firstly I'm not experienced, For me I'v encountered some problems with mr3020 usb port, I'v installed alfa driver on this router, it connect just for a few minutes and then it dropped senseless, there is S.O told me that I should use a powered usb hub, I did what I was told, but without any result

I think the openwrt version is not compatible, or maybe from the router hardware...

If you had bricking your router, I have a fix to this problem

medmar000 wrote:

Hi papates

firstly I'm not experienced, For me I'v encountered some problems with mr3020 usb port, I'v installed alfa driver on this router, it connect just for a few minutes and then it dropped senseless, there is S.O told me that I should use a powered usb hub, I did what I was told, but without any result

I think the openwrt version is not compatible, or maybe from the router hardware...

If you had bricking your router, I have a fix to this problem

Hi Medmar,

There is no problem with the router functionality, I have updated the original fw from web UI, with a openwrt fw, and it's working just fine.

I want to access to serial console. Mine, doesnt had serial pins on it, so I have soldered them. Also put a 10k pullup resistor between TX and Vcc. But no luck yet sad

I have the same problem, no matter what I do I only get random characters in the console window, output in a "rhythm" that looks like it might be actual debug data being sent, but garbled. I'm using a CH340 USB-to-tty-serial that is working with another device that also uses 115200 8n1, so I'm pretty sure it's not my cable or soldering. I have double and triple checked everything I could think of.

Some people online have said that some serial ports use inverted levels. Is there any chance the MR-3020 v1.9 is one of those?

gygeswillyouplease wrote:

I have the same problem, no matter what I do I only get random characters in the console window, output in a "rhythm" that looks like it might be actual debug data being sent, but garbled. I'm using a CH340 USB-to-tty-serial that is working with another device that also uses 115200 8n1, so I'm pretty sure it's not my cable or soldering. I have double and triple checked everything I could think of.

Some people online have said that some serial ports use inverted levels. Is there any chance the MR-3020 v1.9 is one of those?

I managed to solve my problem of getting serial console. My mistake was basically with soldering and cabling, quite dumm sad.

My board, which says REV 1.2 on it, didn't have serial pins. I didn't solder the ones in the middle good enough at first, so I corrected that.

Then I noticed another dumm mistake with my cable. I had connected RX to RX and TX to TX between MR3020 and FTDI PCB, which should have been TX to RX on both pins smile

Also, I noticed on a blog, that it could cause problem to connect Vcc pin between two boards, so I took that cable out.

I did all these three changes at once, then tried, and boom!. So I'm not sure which one(s) helped, but I now have serial output.

(Last edited by papates on 2 Jan 2017, 10:12)

Do you know any points for measuring the continuity of the soldered pins? The soldering looks good, and I've measured 0ohm with a multimeter from the ground and vcc pins to obvious gnd and power points, but I don't know where Tx and Rx is going.

gygeswillyouplease wrote:

Do you know any points for measuring the continuity of the soldered pins? The soldering looks good, and I've measured 0ohm with a multimeter from the ground and vcc pins to obvious gnd and power points, but I don't know where Tx and Rx is going.

Well I'm no expert on soldering, but this one didn't seem hard. Just make sure all the pins you solder gets actually connected on the board, and not touch each other.

Also, have you put a 10k pullup resistor between tx and vcc?

Make sure of these two, and don't connect vcc to anything else. Everything should be ok then.

A guy has posted detailed explanations on his blog, but I can't add any links to this message. Just search for "3020 serial pin vcc" in google. One of the results should be a blog page from 9 june 2013. Domain is ediy dot com dot my.

Just tried to flash a TL-MR3020 v1.9 via the origial TP_link "Flash Upgrade" web UI … and when clicking the "Upgrade" button it always complained:

"Please choose a file to upgrade"

Turns out that the latest 15.05.1 image … has a name which is too long.
So renaming

openwrt-15.05.1-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory.bin

into

openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory.bin

and then trying the upgrade with that renamed file resolved the issue.

So there actually seems to be a file name length limit in the TP-Link web UI code.
Maybe this information is helpful to others as well.

Hi, I have installed *bin file:

#md5 ./openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory.bin
MD5 (./openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory.bin) = 846fa85443359f1df815ec8bab346157

after installation web is not working, only ssh.

I have tried to install luci via CLI:

opkg update
opkg install luci

but after installation web shows:

when I try to install offline i get not space left:

root@OpenWrt:/tmp# wget downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/packages/base/lua_5.1.5-1_ar71xx.ipk
Downloading 'downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/generic/packages/base/lua_5.1.5-1_ar71xx.ipk'
Connecting to 78.24.191.177:80
Writing to 'lua_5.1.5-1_ar71xx.ipk'
lua_5.1.5-1_ar71xx.i 100% |*******************************|  5138   0:00:00 ETA

root@OpenWrt:/tmp# opkg install ./lua_5.1.5-1_ar71xx.ipk
Installing lua (5.1.5-1) to root...
Collected errors:
* wfopen: //usr/lib/opkg/info/lua.control: No space left on device.
* wfopen: //usr/lib/opkg/info/lua.postinst: No space left on device.
* wfopen: //usr/lib/opkg/info/lua.prerm: No space left on device.
* wfopen: /usr/bin/lua: No space left on device.
* set_flags_from_control: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/lua.control: No such file or directory.
* pkg_write_filelist: Failed to open //usr/lib/opkg/info/lua.list: No space left on device.
* opkg_install_pkg: Failed to extract data files for lua. Package debris may remain!
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package lua.
* opkg_conf_write_status_files: Can't open status file //usr/lib/opkg/status: No space left on device.

can anyone provide solution?

thannks

if someone has same issue here is solution:

cd /tmp
  wget xxxxx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory.bin
  mtd write openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory.bin firmware
  reboot

BR smile

I need help getting iPhone USB tethering to work.

1.I installed the openwrt-CC-USB_tethering_v5.1-tl-mr3020-v1-squashfs-factory.bin firmware (overwriting current config) from hxxps://github.com/LeJeko/OpenWRT-USB-Tethering/releases/tag/v5.1
2. rebooted
3. connected ethernet to my computer, got assigned an IP address
4. turned off tethering, connected phone to USB on router, trusted computer, turned on tethering (USB only) and blue bar turned on iPhone showing a connection
5. I logged into router and saw both TX and RX traffic to phone and ethernet

My issue:
When I ping say cnn.com, and the IP address gets resolved but I requests time out and I get a 100% packet lost.  I can't browse any sites on my computer (even if I override DNS to 8.8.8.8)
I get the same behavior if I SSH and try the ping from the router.
Any ideas?

Hi there,

Does anyone know when and if there is going to be any support for version 3.0?

Thanks.

Hi.
Does anyone know how to install OpenWRT on TL-MR3020 V3?

Thank you for the answer.

So no support is envisaged in the future for the v3?
I just bought an MR-3020 specifically for the task of a print server which could be done by installing OpenWrt and afterwards the p910nd. Unfortunately I did not paid attention to the version number and if there is no support expected in the future I'll have to sell it.

By the way, I read somewhere that probably the original firmware is based on a fork of OpenWRT? Can anyone confirm that?
If that is so than would it be possible to have the p910nd installed on the original firmware?

Thanks.

Hello I modify interface wifi and ethernet for use dhcp wireless and my TL_MR3020 not start only on light of power not begin blinking light of wps, I try reset, 3,4,5 times, many seconds press, and nothing I have a square brick white, have some idea, ? thanks

Just have a few question coz I am looking to buy this router considering few requirements?

As my ISP(PPPoe) provide fast internet only at night time, I have few questions?
1. Can I keep the router on whole time without any failure or heating issue?
2. Does it have enough Flash size to install Transmission?
3. Can I use a pendrive or hardisk to download files directly in it?

xecuter1205 wrote:

Just have a few question coz I am looking to buy this router

Honestly, don't. As much as I love the ones I already have, there's really no point in buying this router anymore. It has never been particularly powerful, even when it came out more than half a decade ago, and by today's standards it is only barely usable. For anything beyond basic OpenWrt router performance you'll (figuratively) have to bend over backwards, and even then it won't run great (i.e., forget about transmission). Do yourself a favor and pretty much for the same amount of money get something more capable, especially with more flash memory and more RAM, a better CPU and Wifi radio, and maybe a few more ports while you're at it.

(Last edited by metai on 27 Feb 2018, 18:12)

The discussion might have continued from here.