OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Linksys Cisco E3000 v1 / WRT-610N v2 / Asus RT-N16 hardware on trunk

The content of this topic has been archived between 30 Apr 2013 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Thank you for your answer! So than, i'll tray with the squashfs image. Wish me luck!
I suppose I can not use the router's webinterface for flashing, can I? It was possible to install DD-WRT with this method and it is now installed, but I can not find any information whether or not this is possible with OpenWRT as well. Should I try using the TFTP method? I never got that working on my WRT-610N v2.

(Last edited by gunwald on 14 Nov 2012, 10:35)

I am looking to install OpenWRT on my Linksys e3000. Is this known to be working:

http://openwrt.razvi.ro/attitude_adjust … uashfs.bin

?

Thanks.

EDIT: I currently have a tomato build on it if that makes any difference.

(Last edited by rjwill on 17 Nov 2012, 14:47)

Do razvi's builds for Barier Braker work with rt-n16? I can't access the router at 192.168.1.1 after reflash.

(Last edited by dvb15 on 5 Dec 2012, 09:55)

It should work just fine with RT-N16. I will install the version below on my RT-N16 asap.

This is how I install it.

1. open LuCI, go to System > Backup and click on Generate archive
2. install Asus rt-n16 utilities http://usa.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN16/#download
3. connect your computer to one of the LAN ports of the router. Manually set your computer IP address to 192.168.1.2
4. plug in the router while holding the reset button on the back of the router. Keep the reset button pressed until Power LED starts blinking slowly. This puts the router in recovery mode, which is necessary to flash using the Asus Firmware Restoration utility. If you try using the restoration utility and the router is not in recovery mode or is not connected it will say, "No wireless device in recovery mode is found"
5. run Firmware Restoration Utility which you installed in step 2. In Firmware Restoration browse for the firmware image and click Upload
6. telnet to the router with putty and set root password with "passwd"
7. open LuCI, go to System > Backup and restore the backup you created at step 1
This works very well with jffs, but should also work with squashfs.

http://openwrt.razvi.ro/barrier_braker_asus_rt-n16_svn_r34381/
http://git.razvi.ro/?p=openwrt.git& … 75ca85c19b

(Last edited by VeNoM on 4 Dec 2012, 08:57)

I use linux and tftp to flash. The r33446 works quite well, but r34253 and r34303 don't respond after flash. I didn't try r34384 yet, though.

Edit: r34384 doesn't work too. I can't access the router. If it makes any difference, the AA build makes PWR LED off shortly after power-on and makes it on after 1-2 minutes, when the router finishes its boot process. But it doesn't happen with any of BB builds - the PWR LED stays lit after power-on infinetely. I assume it hangs at boot.

(Last edited by dvb15 on 4 Dec 2012, 12:51)

Yes, thank you! It works!

Got Build r34498 by razvi installed on my RT-N16. Most of the setup has gone through without a hitch however I have come across a small issue. While I was creating an interface to setup a second DHCP pool, after reboot I loose access to the GUI and cannot ping the router either.

Also, I was wondering if it is possible to setup a secondary Virtual Wireless similar to a guest network.

Also, has anyone come across the gui module for OpenVPN. I was not able to find it under the packages on the repo.

Thanks in advanced.

Riddlah wrote:

While I was creating an interface to setup a second DHCP pool, after reboot I loose access to the GUI and cannot ping the router either.

What pools are you setting? Maybe the second pool is out of router's subnet and your client gets address exactly from that pool? Try 192.168.1.2/24 static address in case of 192.168.1.1/24 at the router.

(Last edited by dvb15 on 11 Dec 2012, 13:47)

dvb15 wrote:
Riddlah wrote:

While I was creating an interface to setup a second DHCP pool, after reboot I loose access to the GUI and cannot ping the router either.

What pools are you setting? Maybe the second pool is out of router's subnet and your client gets address exactly from that pool? Try 192.168.1.2/24 static address in case of 192.168.1.1/24 at the router.

The main network is using the range 192.168.1.x and the router is set to use a static ip address of 192.168.1.170. The second pool I am trying to setup is in the range of 192.168.2.x. It is also using a static ip address of 192.168.2.170.

I did come across an outline on setting up a secondary network for use with my guest wireless network. I will be giving it a try and see how it works.

**Edit**

Got it working using the following link: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/guest-wlan

(Last edited by Riddlah on 12 Dec 2012, 03:46)

I just successfully installed openwrt-brcm4716-squashfs.trx on one of my RT-N16s, switching from my own builds of Toastman's TomatoUSB.

Seemed to go very smoothly, PPPoE and WPA2 wifi are working. Wasn't expecting to see the Luci web interface installed which was nice. Thank you!

Now I need to get my Internode IPv6 working, and solve why the DNS values from the PPPoE connection aren't getting set within dnsmaaq - /tmp/resolve.conf.auto is empty. But I doubt that's an RT-N16 specific problem...
Edit: Looks like a known bug that was fixed 2(!) revisions after your build:
https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/11501

Oh, and I'm yet to test WDS with WPA but I need to flash my other RT-N16 router as well before I can do that.

Paul

(Last edited by paulmd on 12 Dec 2012, 05:03)

George released today an update to the patches. I will update soon and use them on another build.

(Last edited by VeNoM on 12 Dec 2012, 13:41)

Yes, it works, thanks!

does this new build have support for kernel 3.6? Or is it possible to update the kernel to 3.3.8.1? some packages require the newer kernel to install.

Thanks,

---
Riddlah

(Last edited by Riddlah on 12 Dec 2012, 16:40)

First off great work on these releases.

However I have been coming across an issue. My Wireless connection keeps dropping connections. It will connect for a few minutes and then it will drop all clients and the speeds will stay idle at 300mbps. I have gone through all the settings but couldn't get it to be stable.

Has anyone come across any issues or have any suggestions.

Thanks in advanced.

Well, after a few days of running r34498 on my RT-N16s I've gone back to TomatoUSB for now. I just couldn't get WDS working with any form of encryption. I tried everything I could find on the net related to WDS, WPA, Openwrt and Broadcom. But most of it is written for the older 2.4 and 2.6 kernel binary drivers. I believe these builds are built from newer released Broadcom source for the wl driver?

Ironically though, going back to Tomato I couldn't get WDS working *at all*, despite successfully running WDS with both WPA and WPA2 for months previously. I couldn't get it to connect at all, even without encryption. Full nvram clears and 30/30/30 resets did't solve the problem, so in frustration I ended up buying a pair of Netcomm Homeplug AV devices for the link between routers. It's currently running even slower than the WDS link though, at about 16Mbit/s. But hopefully it won't drop out every couple of weeks.

Anyway, I may well return to Openwrt now that WDS isn't a factor, particularly if you guys get a 3.6 kernel build working - I'd like to try the codel bufferbloat/QoS package.

Thanks for all your work on this.

Paul

I'd also like to see 3.6.10, but for now I decided to use aa_r33446 with http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09-rc1/brcm47xx/generic/packages as a source of packages.

Edit: Had to use http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09-beta/brcm47xx/generic/packages as a source of packages, because AA RC1 kernel modules conflict with our custom kernel (the router does not respond after some packages install and reboot)

(Last edited by dvb15 on 18 Dec 2012, 12:19)

I tried to compile the latest trunk with George's latest patches for the RT-N16 but it fails - I get this error message:
Hunk #4 FAILED at 604.
1 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- rejects in file include/linux/ssb/ssb_driver_chipcommon.h
Does anybody know up to which trunk revision the compilation succeeds?

(Last edited by sam0815 on 17 Dec 2012, 18:36)

@sam0815:
2012-12-08T15-25 is the latest patch set from George. This should apply cleanly against r34577. You can also check the header of the 000 patch in the series. AFAIK, George has always included the changeset in this file.