OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Wi-Fi Router Running Torrent on Flash Memory to USB connected HDD

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello all,
i'm looking for a Router that can have a torrent installed on it's flash memory in order to allow downloading and storage to a HDD attached to it via usb in the back.

Any hints??

I have a Linksys WRT350n v2 running backfire 10.03. This device has 8MB flash memory (4MB remains after the openwrt install) and 32MB RAM.
For torrents I installed transmission wich downloads to a 250GB external HDD attached to the USB2 port. To manage the downloads I use the webUI (also available in the repo's) and transdroid for my android phone.
The only problem I had was a shortage of RAM memory when downloading large files (larger than 2-4GB). Creating a swap file on the external HDD solved this.

So, basically any router with 8MB or more flash memory and a USB2 port would do the job.
You can choose one from here: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start#suppo … outer.type

Personally I would recommend the netgear WNDR3700v2 or WNDR3800 -> 16MB flash and 64-128MB RAM (probably no swap file needed).

The discussion might have continued from here.