OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: OpenWrt SDk documentation.

The content of this topic has been archived on 14 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

First of all sorry for my bad english.:-( I'm trying to develop a new OpenWrt package but some points in the How To example are not very clear for me and moreover it's not complete. Can you suggest me a good documentation? Thanks for your help.

There is no better documentation for OpenWrt's SDK. Remember, the SDK was never documented until I wrote this HOWTO.

If you don't like it the way I've done this it's up to you or everyone else to make it better!

Feel free to change it smile

(Last edited by olli_04 on 11 Dec 2005, 11:46)

Sorry, I really didn't want to offend you for your work. What I meant is that it is "only" an How To and not a complete manual. It's without doubt a good work, but not enough for my poor knowledges (this is the real point):(.
Thanks for your answer.

(Last edited by poluka on 11 Dec 2005, 11:51)

You could give us a hint on what you feel is missing, then maybe one of us will look into it and document that aspect of it.

Full documentation is more of a luxury good. Cliché programmers don't like documentation (I don't either wink and its almost as much work as it is to write the code. 
But reaching the goal of having a fully documented SDK would be a great thing, it would just require more people that are willing to work on it.

What's missing is any explanation of the config files. There is a section heading that says 'Creating the Required Files', but it never actually says which are required. It says they "can" be created. Are they optional? Which are created automatically by the SDK (if any) ?  Where did the files come from? What parts do I need to customize to my package? Which parts are reusable? What is the syntax of the customization?

I've read some places that make it sound as if all I need to do is put my package source in a sub directory of SDK/package and then 'make' from the package directory and the SDK does the rest. But the Howto implies that would not do anything until I first modify my package's Makefile and add a Config.in and so forth. So if I need to add files, I would love some information saying that is so and what to put in them. Or where could I look to figure out how. Which environment variables do I define arbitrarily, which do I need to look up, which are defined by the SDK?

I would be happy to write up this info into documentation if someone else can help answer my questions until I can make sense of it.

It would be a shame for the SDK software to get less use than it could if it were more publicly accessible by virtue of documentation. Thanks for any assistance.

The discussion might have continued from here.