OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WDR4310 v1.0 First Steps

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 Oct 2014 and 4 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Safe

"Fortunately the amazing OpenWRT exists so we can make this nifty little machine work really hard for us doing a wide array of things. Here's how you get OpenWRT onto this router:

Pre-Installation

Check the model version underneath the router (You really want v1.6 - the others work but this is the best one)
Download the version of OpenWRT relevant to your model version from the TP-Link TL-WDR4300 page. At the time of writing this was http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … ctory.bin.
Wait for the download to finish...
Now plug your ethernet cable into the WDR4300
Install the Firmware

Select System Tools then Firmware Upgrade
Press Browse and select the firmware you just downloaded
Press Upgrade then OK.
You will then see the firmware upgrade in progress.
After a couple of minutes this should switch to Software Upgraded Successfully! and commence restarting.
Post Flashing

The network range will have changed to 192.168.1.0, so you will need to obtain a lease on this range by restarting your network services or disconnecting / reconnecting your network cable
The new OpenWRT firmware is on 192.168.1.1 so point your browser in that direction
Youll be greeted with a warning that there is no password set for this device, click the link to set one.
Enter in your new password and confirmation, then scroll down press Save & Apply
That's it if for basic installation. You've now got a powerful little router running OpenWRT and the possibilities abound."

Yes, it's just that easy. Make sure that you download the FACTORY image, not the sysupgrade one.

thank you , will try that today , and report here for you guys

thank you guys ..... uhuuuu it did work 0.o

ps: any advice what i should do first ? , so i can learn something ? , noip , torrent anything at all 0.o

(Last edited by porcomaster on 26 Aug 2014, 20:52)

people , i want to put a hd drive on the wireless , but i canot find " kmod-usb-storage " on the packages

edit : i found the solution go to system->software->configuration , highlight the link and put this instead http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … ges/base/, worked for me at least have some more packages , storage the last one

edi2: didnt work 0.o

(Last edited by porcomaster on 28 Aug 2014, 00:33)

Hi guys... I just buy TL-WDR4310 and for the first time using OpenWRT...
is awesome really... connection stable as rock...
today I just realize my 5ghz wifi showing 0% signal from the router...
try rebooting with no luck... hopefully somebody can shed some light to my problem...

Before I realize I just add adblock.sh from https://gist.github.com/teffalump/72277 … adblock-sh
and using wshaper from http://www.techrapid.co.uk/openwrt/traf … r-on-luci/
is that the reason my wifi drop the signal?
the 2.4Ghz is normal btw... Thanks guys for your time

ok.. excuse me for the stupid question.. do you have clients connected on 5 ghz?

can you post a screenshot?

nebbia88 wrote:

ok.. excuse me for the stupid question.. do you have clients connected on 5 ghz?

can you post a screenshot?

Looks like I'm the stupid one here... lol
I now change the SSID for 5Ghz to different name...
after I changed, I search the signal from my phone but there's none..
I try to remember if I ever tinker something yesterday... and it just struck me
I disable IPv6... so I enabled IPv6 again... check status screen again.. still 0%
then after a while I read your post... then I check my phone again...
and voila... the SSID now shown on my phone... and then I connect to it...
after that the 2.4Ghz shown 0%...

Don't know is the IPv6 disable is the cause of that... but now I realize after you pointed out
if no device connected to it, it will be 0%... (I hide the SSID btw)
I'm just afraid I fry the chip... lol... thanks a lot nebbia88... sorry for the silly problem

Just got a v1.7 and it has 3.14.1 build (141113).
Wiki page for this router suggests "update to stock firmware 3.13.33(130617) before installation".
Should I rollback to 3.13.33 or just flash it with 3.14.1.

No, you can flash safely.

It is recommended to UPDATE from OLD versions to get the tftp recover feature in uboot..

Hi everyone,
if someone with < 1.7 version of the WDR4300 with Chaos Calmer can update the wiki version support, that would be nice.
Cheers,
Charles

Hi, got the WDR4300 1.6 version, and it seems the 5ghz radio - Atheros AR9580 802.11an - on Chaos Calmer isn't doing much.  Can't see it on the list of networks and can't seem to get it 'up'.  Worked well with Barrier Breaker.  Anyone else had this?  Upgraded using the sysupgrade option from Barrier Breaker.  Nothing obvious in dmesg to suggest there is an issue.

Just to follow up - downgrading to BB 14.07 fixed the issue.  As far as I can see there where no config changes.  Maybe something in the driver is bust?  Happy to help debug.

Hi,

jlove wrote:

Hi, got the WDR4300 1.6 version, and it seems the 5ghz radio - Atheros AR9580 802.11an - on Chaos Calmer isn't doing much.

I confirm it works with WDR4300 1.7 but the Wifi transceiver is different:

~# iw dev wlan1 scan
freq: 5180
SSID: Bbox-DxxxxxxF3-5GHz

~# dmesg
[    0.000000] SoC: Atheros AR9344 rev 2
[   11.420000] ieee80211 phy0: Atheros AR9340 Rev:2 mem=0xb8100000, irq=47  <-- 2.4GHz
[   11.450000] ieee80211 phy1: Atheros AR9300 Rev:4 mem=0xb0000000, irq=40  <-- 5.0GHz

I did a quick check on the internet and it seems AR9580 and AR9300 are handled by the same driver, which is ath9k.

(Last edited by cgo on 12 Oct 2015, 09:35)

Odd.  On barrier breaker I get (this is still WDR4300 rev 1.6)  :

[    0.000000] SoC: Atheros AR9344 rev 2
[   10.290000] ieee80211 phy0: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel_ht'
[   10.370000] ieee80211 phy0: Atheros AR9340 Rev:0 mem=0xb8100000, irq=47
[   10.400000] ieee80211 phy1: Selected rate control algorithm 'minstrel_ht'
[   10.400000] ieee80211 phy1: Atheros AR9300 Rev:4 mem=0xb0000000, irq=40

That seems to think it has the same chipset as yours, maybe the driver is mis-identifying the chipset on chaos calmer?

Any ideas as to where the driver decides what chip its working with?

D

(Last edited by jlove on 1 Nov 2015, 06:26)

jlove wrote:

Odd.  On barrier breaker I get (this is still WDR4300 rev 1.6)  :

[    0.000000] SoC: Atheros AR9344 rev 2
[   10.370000] ieee80211 phy0: Atheros AR9340 Rev:0 mem=0xb8100000, irq=47
[   10.400000] ieee80211 phy1: Atheros AR9300 Rev:4 mem=0xb0000000, irq=40

That seems to think it has the same chipset as yours, maybe the driver is mis-identifying the chipset on chaos calmer?

Hi,
indeed this sounds weird the same Soc release produces different results.

I diffed the BB and CC ath9k kernel driver, but I could not spot anything obvious from the changes (but I suck at this so check for yourself). I don't know what part of the kernel is responsible for hardware probing.

Cheers,
Charles

cgo wrote:

if someone with < 1.7 version of the WDR4300 with Chaos Calmer can update the wiki version support, that would be nice.

I have a bunch of 1.3 routers that are working great with CC. Would you like me to add that to the table so people can see BB and CC work or just replace the BB entry with CC?

- George

Hi,

I have a bunch of 1.3 routers that are working great with CC. Would you like me to add that to the table so people can see BB and CC work or just replace the BB entry with CC?

I guess the latest-and-greatest version is enough. I personally find keeping lots of notes about older releases make for a confusing documentation. You might not agree, though smile.

Charles

cgo wrote:

I personally find keeping lots of notes about older releases make for a confusing documentation. You might not agree, though

No, I agree. Chaos Calmer is a good upgrade so there's no reason to run an earlier version.

- George

Updated to 15.05 a few hours ago with my v1.1 device. So far so good.

I've a wdr3600 v1.4 and i've trouble too with the 5ghz.
It only works on the 36 to 48 channel in legacy mode.
If I activate the N mode it stay disable and I've to reboot in order to get it on again.

I've upgraded from BB via the Luci.

(Last edited by moimadmax on 25 Nov 2015, 10:35)

I have a wdr4300 v1 flash with BB. How to I upgrade to CC via Luci.
Also , if I have upgraded , how to I enable IPV6 .
A quick help is appreciated.

Sorry, I omited the 2, It is version 1.2
WDR4300 V1.2
How do I upgrade to CC via Luci.
Just goto system ---> Backup/Flashfirmware--->
and chose the CC file I downloaded ?

I also have trouble with the 5ghz wifi on WDR4310. I'm using 15.05.1 now. Before I used AA. In AA it was working fine.

In CC 15.05.1 I sometimes have it working after a reboot in legacy with channel on Auto but if I disable another network (my 2.4ghz guest network, with: "uci set wireless.@wifi-iface[2].disabled=0; wifi") I loose the connection to the 5ghz network and I have to reboot the router to get it back.

I would like to support to solve the issue if somebody would tell me how.

Try to avoid "Auto" and DFS channels (specifically, try channel 36, if allowed in your regdom), at least for testing