OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WR841N v8.0

The content of this topic has been archived between 26 Jul 2014 and 6 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Buy another, reliable USB-UART adapter (for example, based on CP2102) and solder a header pins for good connection.

The CA-42 likely works , give yourself a "sanity" check by shorting the TX/RX together and typing in the console window.
If it's working you should see your text.

I think it's much easier to solder pins and use connectors .... but soldering straight to the board works.

try to swap tx with rx (blu and green)..

OpenWrt Firmware r39210 for TP-Link TL-WR841N/ND v8.x

Features:
    • Optimized for TL-WR841N/ND v8.x's hardware
    • LuCI
    • UPnP support through MiniUPnP
    • IPv6 support

Release Notes:
    • Uses default kernel build options
    • Nothing has been stripped
    • All manually selected packages are built-in (luci, luci-app-upnp, miniupnp and their dependencies)
    • 6in4/6rd/6to4/ds-lite/luci-proto-ipv6 are not included and must be installed separately
    • Updated miniupnp to the latest 1.8 snapshot (miniupnpd-1.8.20131216)
    • I forgot to strip the paths inside the sh256sum. You'll have to edit sha256sum and remove the paths to properly verify the images

Patches:
    add_74kc_optimizations.patch
    miniupnpd-1.8.20131216.patch

Quick-and-dirty build script used to generate the firmware images:
    http://paste.debian.net/hidden/af082f43/

Unable to connect to router after flashing firmware?:

    Hold the reset button on the back of the router for about 15 seconds or until all the LEDs flash at once

Download:
    Removed. Please see this post for an updated build: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 72#p180072

(Last edited by Aegisu on 9 Jan 2014, 14:16)

Aegisu wrote:

OpenWrt Firmware r39210 for TP-Link TL-WR841N/ND v8.x

Features:
    • Optimized for TL-WR841N/ND v8.x's hardware
    • LuCI
    • UPnP support through MiniUPnP
    • IPv6 support

Release Notes:
    • Uses default kernel build options
    • Nothing has been stripped
    • All manually selected packages are built-in (luci, luci-app-upnp, miniupnp and their dependencies)
    • 6in4/6rd/6to4/ds-lite/luci-proto-ipv6 are not included and must be installed separately
    • Updated miniupnp to the latest 1.8 snapshot (miniupnpd-1.8.20131216)
    • I forgot to strip the paths inside the sh256sum. You'll have to edit sha256sum and remove the paths to properly verify the images

Patches:
    add_74kc_optimizations.patch
    miniupnpd-1.8.20131216.patch

Quick-and-dirty build script used to generate the firmware images:
    http://paste.debian.net/hidden/af082f43/

Unable to connect to router after flashing firmware?:

    Hold the reset button on the back of the router for about 15 seconds or until all the LEDs flash at once

Download:
    openwrt-tl-wr841n-v8-squashfs[aegisu-r39210].zip

Nice work! IPv6 still not works for me, maybe my ISP not support it.

I edited your build script a little bit.
http://pastebin.com/HEdXELCn

(Last edited by balika011 on 8 Jan 2014, 19:39)

balika011 wrote:

Nice work! IPv6 still not works for me, maybe my ISP not support it.

I edited your build script a little bit.
http://pastebin.com/HEdXELCn

I wasn't able to test the IPv6 support since my ISP still doesn't support it, but BB should come with IPv6 support by default.
You can check the wiki for more information about OpenWrt's IPv6 support: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network … .and.later

As for the patches and scripts, I just tossed those together. They get the job done, but they're very crudely written.

----------------------------

Uploaded a new build
I've uploaded a new build which fixes an issue that was present in the last build; you can download it here: openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v8-squashfs-1f17399.zip

Changelog:
    • Fixed: Unable to install packages
          This issue was caused due to me accidentally enabling CONFIG_CLEAN_IPKG=y in the .config file for the public build
    • Regenerated the .config file. This removed an unneeded package
    • Cleaned up the optimizations patch
    • Renamed the optimizations patch to ar9341_optimizations.patch since I only know what the AR9341 chip supports.
    • Cleaned up the build script a bit. Crude and simple > elegant and complicated
        • Made everything into functions so you can easily comment out parts of the build. This is useful for debugging purposes
        • Using the more reliable GitHub mirror
        • Automatically detect number of CPU cores for make jobs
        • Fixed: Prevent path from being written to the generated sha256sum
        • Rename sha256sum file to sha256sums to match the automatically generated md5sums file
        • The generated zip archive now contains the short git commit hash of your git clone repo's HEAD in its name

I'm looking into optimizing/cleaning/minifiying/compressing LuCI's JS, CSS and HTML files through Closure, YUI Compressor and htmlcompressor. This will likely only save a few bytes and slightly improve LuCI's responsiveness, so don't expect miracles. If I don't get around to doing it, this will probably be the final build unless there's an issue with it.

Build script: http://paste.debian.net/hidden/b58202f9/
Updated optimization patch: ar9341_optimizations.patch

(Last edited by Aegisu on 9 Jan 2014, 15:00)

Aegisu wrote:
balika011 wrote:

Nice work! IPv6 still not works for me, maybe my ISP not support it.

I edited your build script a little bit.
http://pastebin.com/HEdXELCn

I wasn't able to test the IPv6 support since my ISP still doesn't support it, but BB should come with IPv6 support by default.
You can check the wiki for more information about OpenWrt's IPv6 support: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/network … .and.later

As for the patches and scripts, I just tossed those together. They get the job done, but they're very crudely written.

----------------------------

Uploaded a new build
I've uploaded a new build which fixes an issue that was present in the last build; you can download it here: openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v8-squashfs-1f17399.zip

Changelog:
    • Fixed: Unable to install packages
          This issue was caused due to me accidentally enabling CONFIG_CLEAN_IPKG=y in the .config file for the public build
    • Regenerated the .config file. This removed an unneeded package
    • Cleaned up the optimizations patch
    • Renamed the optimizations patch to ar9341_optimizations.patch since I only know what the AR9341 chip supports.
    • Cleaned up the build script a bit. Crude and simple > elegant and complicated
        • Made everything into functions so you can easily comment out parts of the build. This is useful for debugging purposes
        • Using the more reliable GitHub mirror
        • Automatically detect number of CPU cores for make jobs
        • Fixed: Prevent path from being written to the generated sha256sum
        • Rename sha256sum file to sha256sums to match the automatically generated md5sums file
        • The generated zip archive now contains the short git commit hash of your git clone repo's HEAD in its name

I'm looking into optimizing/cleaning/minifiying/compressing LuCI's JS, CSS and HTML files through Closure, YUI Compressor and htmlcompressor. This will likely only save a few bytes and slightly improve LuCI's responsiveness, so don't expect miracles. If I don't get around to doing it, this will probably be the final build unless there's an issue with it.

Build script: http://paste.debian.net/hidden/b58202f9/
Updated optimization patch: ar9341_optimizations.patch

I have problem with WiFi on this soft. Cant connect to wifi anymore

wojtekka wrote:

I have problem with WiFi on this soft. Cant connect to wifi anymore

Wi-Fi works for me. Please make sure that you've set up a new wireless network after installing OpenWrt and that it's enabled.

I always remove settings when doing sysupgrade (openwrt --> openwrt), so I'm not sure if the wireless networks are kept.

(Last edited by Aegisu on 10 Jan 2014, 08:01)

Aegisu wrote:

Updated optimization patch: ar9341_optimizations.patch

What does your patch optimize? Is the wifi faster?

Nope that one is for the cpu to use 74kc rather than the 34kc default.

Ok, thanks, that's all what I've seen, but the purpose of changing 34kc to 74kc is what?

(Last edited by nozombian on 10 Jan 2014, 09:06)

OpenWrt Firmware r39218 for TP-Link TL-WR841N/ND v8.x

Features:
    • Optimized for TL-WR841N/ND v8.x's hardware
    • LuCI
    • UPnP support through MiniUPnP
    • IPv6 support

Release Notes:
    • Uses default kernel build options
    • Nothing has been stripped
    • All manually selected packages are built-in (luci, luci-app-upnp, miniupnpd and their dependencies)
    • 6in4/6rd/6to4/ds-lite/luci-proto-ipv6 are not included and must be installed separately
    • Updated miniupnpd to the latest 1.8 snapshot (miniupnpd-1.8.20131216)
    • Updated the toolchain to Linaro binutils 2.24-2013.12 and Linaro GCC 4.8-2013.12

Changes Since Last Release:
    • Updated to OpenWrt r39218
    • Built using Linaro binutils 2.24-2013.12 and Linaro GCC 4.8-2013.12
    • Minified LuCI's CSS and optimized its JS (YUI Compressor and Closure Compiler)
    • Renamed the optimizations patch again. I confirmed that all 74K chips support DSP Rev 2

Patches:
    74kc_compiler_optimizations.patch
    miniupnpd-1.8.20131216.patch

Quick-and-dirty build script used to generate the firmware images:
    http://paste.debian.net/hidden/908d1028/

Unable to connect to router after flashing firmware?:
    Hold the WPS/RESET button on the back of the router (more than 5 seconds) until the SYS LED becomes quick-flash from slow-flash.
    Then release the button and wait for the router to reboot to its factory default settings.

Download:
    openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v8-squashfs-b0b22d0.zip

Detailed notes and ramblings:

htmlcompressor broke LuCI themes
Linaro binutils is just a snapshot of upstream binutils
OpenWrt uses Linaro GCC 4.6 as the default compiler for ar71xx, so I'm assuming its ARM optimizations don't affect other targets
GCC 4.8 generates better DSP code for MIPS 74k cores
The build script is an unsafe mess, but its simple, easy to hack at and you can enable/disable things by simply commenting out one line
^ I have no motivation or time to rewrite the script (which it kinda needs) since this is my last release.
The bash code used to minify/optimize LuCI was copy/pasted from: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 95#p183795
Pastebin converts all line endings to CR/LF
This is (probably) my final public release

(Last edited by Aegisu on 11 Jan 2014, 14:02)

While trying to revert my TL-WR841N v8.2 to stock (from bassman barrier breaker) I have got the "missing web interface" problem mentioned on the main WR841 page.
Using a serial connection to minicom on a raspberry pi at 115,200/8N1 I have console access but I never see the "Autobooting in 1 seconds" message, what happens on boot is a few lines of garbled characters and then I see perfect text with no garbage (at the end of it I can log in as root with the password 5up and interact), it is just the first few seconds which are garbled, presumably where I need to type 'TPL'. I thought maybe the Uboot needs different com settings but I have tried 9600 and 38400 but with these settings I can't see anything.
Anybody have any idea why I can't see the Uboot output if this indeed what the problem is?
Or alternatively can I do anything with the root access as I can log in fine.
Should I post my console output?
Should I start another thread?
All advice welcome smile
Chris
EDITED to say that the interfaces are configured and working and I can ping a out from inside the router's console - I just don't know how or even if it's possible to flash a new image from this point - tftpboot is mentioned in most howtos but these are based on the uboot console. tftp on its own seems to do something so maybe I can get a new file copied over but then how to write it?

(Last edited by eXc3ption on 18 Jan 2014, 14:22)

forgive me if this is a stupid question.. are you sure gui it's not working? tried different devices, browsers, cleaned cache and so on? you still get an ip correctly with dhcp and ping works while gui does not?

Aegisu wrote:

This is (probably) my final public release

Can I ask you to build even one version? to support L2TP, tried to install via winscp, I tried to install all the necessary packages via winscp but failed (error popped lists dependencies) = /

(Last edited by Ae000 on 18 Jan 2014, 19:27)

nebbia88 wrote:

forgive me if this is a stupid question.. are you sure gui it's not working? tried different devices, browsers, cleaned cache and so on? you still get an ip correctly with dhcp and ping works while gui does not?

that is correct, it is just the web interface which is missing. if I watch the console output when I try and reach the router via the web interface the terminal screen fills up with squashfs errors.

To those with this router, can I revert back to the stock firmware via LuCI or do I have to use the command line interface?

alecpozner wrote:

To those with this router, can I revert back to the stock firmware via LuCI or do I have to use the command line interface?

Yes, you can safely flash the OFW through LuCI's interface. Please be sure you flash the correct image. Certain OFW images/images for a different version will brick your router.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- … l.firmware

It's quite simple to connect to the router though SSH. You can use PuTTY on Windows or openssh on LInux.

Aegisu wrote:
alecpozner wrote:

To those with this router, can I revert back to the stock firmware via LuCI or do I have to use the command line interface?

Yes, you can safely flash the OFW through LuCI's interface. Please be sure you flash the correct image. Certain OFW images/images for a different version will brick your router.

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- … l.firmware

It's quite simple to connect to the router though SSH. You can use PuTTY on Windows or openssh on LInux.

Do I even need to do all that or can I just use LuCI's built in firmware update tool?

Aegisu wrote:

OpenWrt Firmware r39218 for TP-Link TL-WR841N/ND v8.x

Features:
    • Optimized for TL-WR841N/ND v8.x's hardware
    • LuCI
    • UPnP support through MiniUPnP
    • IPv6 support

Release Notes:
    • Uses default kernel build options
    • Nothing has been stripped
    • All manually selected packages are built-in (luci, luci-app-upnp, miniupnpd and their dependencies)
    • 6in4/6rd/6to4/ds-lite/luci-proto-ipv6 are not included and must be installed separately
    • Updated miniupnpd to the latest 1.8 snapshot (miniupnpd-1.8.20131216)
    • Updated the toolchain to Linaro binutils 2.24-2013.12 and Linaro GCC 4.8-2013.12

Changes Since Last Release:
    • Updated to OpenWrt r39218
    • Built using Linaro binutils 2.24-2013.12 and Linaro GCC 4.8-2013.12
    • Minified LuCI's CSS and optimized its JS (YUI Compressor and Closure Compiler)
    • Renamed the optimizations patch again. I confirmed that all 74K chips support DSP Rev 2

Patches:
    74kc_compiler_optimizations.patch
    miniupnpd-1.8.20131216.patch

Quick-and-dirty build script used to generate the firmware images:
    http://paste.debian.net/hidden/908d1028/

Unable to connect to router after flashing firmware?:
    Hold the WPS/RESET button on the back of the router (more than 5 seconds) until the SYS LED becomes quick-flash from slow-flash.
    Then release the button and wait for the router to reboot to its factory default settings.

Download:
    openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wr841n-v8-squashfs-b0b22d0.zip

Detailed notes and ramblings:

htmlcompressor broke LuCI themes
Linaro binutils is just a snapshot of upstream binutils
OpenWrt uses Linaro GCC 4.6 as the default compiler for ar71xx, so I'm assuming its ARM optimizations don't affect other targets
GCC 4.8 generates better DSP code for MIPS 74k cores
The build script is an unsafe mess, but its simple, easy to hack at and you can enable/disable things by simply commenting out one line
^ I have no motivation or time to rewrite the script (which it kinda needs) since this is my last release.
The bash code used to minify/optimize LuCI was copy/pasted from: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 95#p183795
Pastebin converts all line endings to CR/LF
This is (probably) my final public release

Sorry if this sounds noob-ish but can I directly upgrade to this firmware from LuCI's firmware upgrade tool? I am currently running the 8.x firmware given in the wiki (http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl- … 841nd.v8.x)


This is for hardware rev 8.4.


Also, is anything not included in this firmware revision that is included in the wiki firmware? r36088 I believe

Thanks!

(Last edited by alecpozner on 21 Jan 2014, 23:09)

you can.

Ok I installed the new firmware and it seems to work so far. Although WiFi seems much slower on mobile apps, though. YouTube, Snapchat, and Facebook apps take very long to load, among others. It's weird, only the actual apps are an issue. Pretty noticeable. Although the speed test app on my phone says otherwise. So clearly only certain apps are affected, not sure why.  Didn't have these issues on r36088. Anything I can do to fix it?


Also, How do I install those patches? Or are they already built into the firmware?



If nobody has a solution to the slow mobile apps on WiFi, can I directly revert back to the old firmware using LuCI? I don't want to because now Chromecast is working on ethernet computers but I can't get past the extremely slow apps while connected to WiFi.


All help is greatly appreciated!

(Last edited by alecpozner on 22 Jan 2014, 06:57)

hey,
I am a complete noob to open wrt

I am in search of
1-"Can i put my 841n router mode in monitor mode ? AND Can it be used with Aircrack-ng (which requires the wireless to be in monitor mode)?"

I known that the wireless usb adapter can be put to monitor mode using Aircrack-ng ! but i dont have any usb wireless adapter!
so i was wondering if i could use my home router as a wireless adapter that too in "monitor mode "!

If YES then How can i accomplish/do it ?
please help me smile
thanks in advance

Hello
I bought a router for the home, there is a desire - to configure openvpn on it.
Installed firmware for further instructions tried to install openvpn. Not enough space (800KB available). As I understand it - there are no graphical interface firmware, and hence more space for custom packages. Where can I download the firmware without a gui?
(I'm sorry for my bad english)

Can someone please post the stock WR841N V8 firmware with boot stripped? Or explain to me how to strip boot from the firmware?


Thanks