OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: recent state of Raspberry PI support

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi,

as I can see by search engine there are already some patches available and published at openwrt-devel@lists.openwrt.org for BCM2835 resp. Raspberry PI support.
Even a script to build a SD card image.
But still not published yet on latest trunk but planed !? When ?

Does anyone have some more informations ?

Cheers,
irimi

FYI:
In the meanwhile I was able to
- install the patch V3 provided by Ian Ridge
- execute "make world" without errors
- get an image

With qemu-system-arm (I'm still waiting for my ordered RPI) I could not start the kernel created by openwrt toolchain
BUT YES( !!!) with a precompiled foreign kernel zImage for RPI

THAT OPENWRT IMAGE FOR RPI IS BOOTABLE !!!

Can you tell me where is possible to download the opewrt image for raspberry?
Or where are the patches?

Thank you

As I can see now after "svn update", all required Makefile are now available in trunk version of openwrt:
enter make menuconfig and select Target System BCM2708/BCM2835, after that target profile will be "RaspberryPi"
After that with "make world"  an image is built.

Details howto create an image see openwrt wiiki / buildroot

bump!

is there any progress? Has anyone made tests so far.

I've got mine this week and will try to build & make a test on a sd-card

Just for Proof of Concept. and a little bit more Distro hopping smile

(Last edited by cave on 3 Aug 2012, 10:03)

I have a build of trunk (via Github) running on a RPi as of a week ago ~15th Aug . It works. I could put some binaries and packages online if anyone is interested.

2012-08-22 I also managed to boot a RPi build of CeroWRT too.

(Last edited by markc on 22 Aug 2012, 18:52)

I am interrested.

is it possible to share a sd-car image?

or some how to to create myself the image with openWRT Buildroot. ...

@cave: Have you tried building a minimal image from trunk or master?

My builds keep failing when I try to add too many packages but a simple default build should work, enough to boot up and get a shell. I could put an img file somewhere public but it's a bit messy while I try to get a fully working non-gui server to work (with lighttpd and php/sqlite). Make sure you have a gcc build env set up with git and subversion, change directory to where you have 3 or 4 gigs of free space and...

git clone https://github.com/mirrors/openwrt.git
cd openwrt
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
echo "CONFIG_TARGET_brcm2708_RaspberryPi=y" > .config
echo 'CONFIG_TARGET_OPTIMIZATION="-pipe -march=armv6 -mtune=arm1176jzf-s -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard -marm"' >> .config
make defconfig
make V=1

Hello,

I just ordered a RTC Shield for my rPI (DS1338).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110973460011

(How) can I build OpenWrt to use the RTC ?

(I want to use the rPI as an Router with NTP server. As the PI is not connected to the Internet all the time, it is necessary to preserve an approximate time for my project)

thanks

(Last edited by d1dd1 on 14 Nov 2012, 12:12)

I am wildy guessing that if you "grep -i rtc .config" and take note of any results then edit .config and change them all to WHATEVER_RTC=y and then do another "make oldconfig" after the edit, then make, that it might "just work".

Thanks, I will give it a try as soon as the RTC arrives.

I wanted a raspberry pi running openwrt for production environment and couldn't wait so I made a small hack.. Files are not available at the moment, but here's a site how to brew your own if you are in a hurry: https://sites.google.com/site/openwrtraspi/

---

I have just added image to downloads section where one can download a 84mb file.
There's also a builder so any one can now create own Raspberry Pi distributions easily.

(Last edited by jake1981 on 1 Dec 2012, 02:10)

jake1981 wrote:

I wanted a raspberry pi running openwrt for production environment and couldn't wait so I made a small hack.. Files are not available at the moment, but here's a site how to brew your own if you are in a hurry: https://sites.google.com/site/openwrtraspi/

---

I have just added image to downloads section where one can download a 84mb file.
There's also a builder so any one can now create own Raspberry Pi distributions easily.

Do you have any updates on this? is the PI functioning properly with the OS?

C007dudz wrote:
jake1981 wrote:

I wanted a raspberry pi running openwrt for production environment and couldn't wait so I made a small hack.. Files are not available at the moment, but here's a site how to brew your own if you are in a hurry: https://sites.google.com/site/openwrtraspi/

---

I have just added image to downloads section where one can download a 84mb file.
There's also a builder so any one can now create own Raspberry Pi distributions easily.

Do you have any updates on this? is the PI functioning properly with the OS?

Everything works in my image - expect, you shouldn't update/upgrade/install add-on drivers, as kernel and modules being used are from raspbian. Although, I included everything available that moment - so there shouldn't be any need to install additional kernel modules.

I haven't added any updates. It works perfectly. No problems with SD cards - no problems with keyboard. Haven't tested with multiple different keyboards, since I only had this one keyboard..

Unfortunately recent Raspberry Pi Makefile only supports softfloat:

CFLAGS:=-pipe -march=armv6 -mtune=arm1176jzf-s -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=softfp -marm

When it is changed to hardfloat ?
In general this is possible , and RPI becomes much faster!
I have changed the settings to hardfloat and swicthed to latest 3.6.11 RPI kernel provided by popcornmix.

The result resp. an image (with kernel packages) is available at Sourceforge

Cheers, irimi

Hello,
Is the B+ model Supported too?

yes, It is supported but as stated in wiki http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/raspberry_pi
Raspberry Pi B+: Current Barrier Breaker image does not support Ethernet and USB due to outdated boot files contained in the image: Please fetch latest boot files "bootcode.bin", "kernel.img" & "start.elf" from Raspberry project and replace the current ones.
or use trunk image

And what is the state of support for the newest Raspberry Pi 2?
Any directions on getting OpenWrt running on that?

(Last edited by plamen on 6 Mar 2015, 00:04)

Hi,
I'm trying to build OpenWRT trunk for Rpi + R8188EU (wifi usb dongle).
It bootstrap, but:
- no default /etc/config/wireless
- /sbin/wireless > /etc/config/wireless  does nothing
- LuCI interface scan does not work and lot of empty options.

Any advice ?

Thank you.

PS: I would like to use cheap RPI with 2-4 USB wifi dongles to play with mesh networks.

Fabio

fabio70mi wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to build OpenWRT trunk for Rpi + R8188EU (wifi usb dongle).
It bootstrap, but:
- no default /etc/config/wireless
- /sbin/wireless > /etc/config/wireless  does nothing
- LuCI interface scan does not work and lot of empty options.

Any advice ?

Thank you.

PS: I would like to use cheap RPI with 2-4 USB wifi dongles to play with mesh networks.

Fabio

I'm in a similar boat trying to get my Pi 2 working.

wifi detect > /etc/config/wireless

Got WiFi up & running, but there doesn't appear to be a hostapd package for me to install for the current version (15.05-rc3)

Fallon wrote:
fabio70mi wrote:

Hi,
I'm trying to build OpenWRT trunk for Rpi + R8188EU (wifi usb dongle).
It bootstrap, but:
- no default /etc/config/wireless
- /sbin/wireless > /etc/config/wireless  does nothing
- LuCI interface scan does not work and lot of empty options.

Any advice ?

Thank you.

PS: I would like to use cheap RPI with 2-4 USB wifi dongles to play with mesh networks.

Fabio

I'm in a similar boat trying to get my Pi 2 working.

wifi detect > /etc/config/wireless

Got WiFi up & running, but there doesn't appear to be a hostapd package for me to install for the current version (15.05-rc3)

I'm quite late....but i'm trying to use LEDE the new iteration of OpenWrt and i cant seem to make my wifi dongle work.
Can you please tell me what did you do to make it work?

The discussion might have continued from here.