OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Attitude Adjustment (12.09-beta)

The content of this topic has been archived between 19 Apr 2018 and 29 Apr 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hello, I'd like to compile this release on my own, because automatic builds do not respect user's regdomain settings (why?) hence making channels 12,13 unuseable even when correct country is set. How can I compile AA rc1 on my own?

I used
svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/branches/attitude_adjustment

But what I got was r351xx instead of r34185 rc1. Thank you.

nozombian wrote:

But what I got was r351xx instead of r34185 rc1. Thank you.

Yep, you got additional bug fixes made since rc1 was published. Something wrong with that?
https://dev.openwrt.org/log/branches

I was not exactly sure how this works, no problem then, thanks. I take it, it contains only fixes. I have been using trunk builds since the beginning and some of them have been perfect, some of them been buggy.

So I took your word, compiled my own AA r35363 for my wr1043nd, rather did firstboot, channels 12,13 are now working, but when I try to install something, I get kernel version mismatch? roll

root@wr1043nd:~# opkg update
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09-rc1/ar71xx/generic/packages/Packages.gz.
Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/attitude_adjustment.
root@wr1043nd:~# opkg install kmod-usb-storage
Installing kmod-usb-storage (3.3.8-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09-rc1/ar71xx/generic/packages/kmod-usb-storage_3.3.8-1_ar71xx.ipk.
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for kmod-usb-storage:
 *      kernel (= 3.3.8-1-5440da3a2c45184a32da6bba25b8dd2a) *   kernel (= 3.3.8-1-5440da3a2c45184a32da6bba25b8dd2a) *
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package kmod-usb-storage.

I thought that AA will have fixes only, no more upgrades. Is there something wrong, or am I doing it wrong? With older aa r34185 rc1 everything worked including opkg, excluding channels 12,13 (which is normal for autobuilds).

Is there a solution, or should I downgrade to autobuild of rc1 and just use jow's patch to enable channels 12,13? I'd like to be able compile my own AA anyway...

(Last edited by nozombian on 29 Jan 2013, 08:35)

nozombian wrote:

...compiled my own AA r35363 for my wr1043nd, rather did firstboot, channels 12,13 are now working, but when I try to install something, I get kernel version mismatch?

It has nothing to do with "fixes" or "upgrades". There are strict kernel option checksums. In practice, if you do your own firmware builds, you can only install the modules compiled at the same compilation time.

You should use menuconfigto select the modules and compile all needed modules at the same time, and preferably also include them in the firmware image (that saves flash space due to compression).

Ps. that goes also for the "official" trunk snapshots etc. The checksum verification is really strict. If you install a snapshot today, you are most likely unable to install add-ons a few days later.

(Last edited by hnyman on 29 Jan 2013, 08:49)

Ic, thank you for reply again. If I undrestad it correctly, official repo is for nothing, when I compile on my own? It's kind of inconvenient, when I find a missing package, doing menuconfig, selecting it and compiling the whole thing again sad Strange, that I have never run into this error when using trunk builds, maybe because I have never used kmod-*

And thanks for the tip of including into the image, I ever used [M], but I wasn't aware of the size disadvantage.

(Last edited by nozombian on 29 Jan 2013, 09:25)

nozombian wrote:

Ic, thank you for reply again. If I undrestad it correctly, official repo is for nothing, when I compile on my own? It's kind of inconvenient, when I find a missing package, doing menuconfig, selecting it and compiling the whole thing again sad Strange, that I have never run into this error when using trunk builds, maybe because I have never used kmod-*

And thanks for the tip of including into the image, I ever used [M], but I wasn't aware of the size disadvantage.

"Official repo is for nothing" for kmod- stuff when using own builds, but you can actually override the dependency check from opkg command line if you want. Dangerous, but possible... http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/techref/opkg#options

Regarding size: modules included in the read-only squashfs firmware are compressed, but packages later installed to read-write jffs2 are not (and will take more space).  The best way is to tailor the included packages to your needs and then compile the whole firmware with the right packages.

(Last edited by hnyman on 29 Jan 2013, 10:12)

Thank you for perfect explanation.

Sorry to be off topic in here, but one problem again. I have compiled also the needed packages, edited the opkg.conf

src/gz attitude_adjustment http://mywebserver/openwrt/attitude_adjustment/bin/ar7xx/packages

after okpg update I receive:
Package base-files version 117-r35400 has no valid architecture, ignoring.
Package blkid version 2.21.2-1 has no valid architecture, ignoring.
Package block-mount version 0.2.0-9 has no valid architecture, ignoring.
and so on

Could you please advice, or point me somewhere, how can I use my compiled packages?

Hello family!

I am new to OpenWRT Firmware, and a happy user of a Router D-Link DSL-2740B revision C2

I have encountered that with this Attitude Adjustment version of OpenWRT I can flash it direclty to the router via the standrad flash recovery solution wich this router has simply holding the reset button for 8 seconds at the same time you power on the router.

The other versions didn't let me flash and work after that.

The main question is, my Router is WIFI N, but the driver of wifi is: Generic 802.11bg Wireless Controller (radio0)

Why it's not WIFI bgn ??

Can I download WIFI N drivers for this router? or maybe let the software choose any other drivers?

Also, I can't update the packages list to download anyone, but the router got internet from other Router, working via RJ45 Port, and WIFI working too bridged to LAN.

Thank you very muchhh!!!

Thanks for keeping OpenWRT moving ahead as well as balancing security and stability. RC1 is running smoothly on my WNDR3700 (v1) with BIND slaved to my master DNS servers.

I do have a couple questions that I didn't see answered elsewhere about

blogic wrote:

For most devices using brcm47xx images is fine, but older models with only 16 MiB RAM or slower CPUs (200 Mhz) will not run properly with it. So for those devices, sticking with backfire is recommended.

I have experienced first-hand that a WRT54G (v4/L) is basically unusable with AA. Since I've got quite a collection of them, what are the plans for providing security patches to the OS and kernel in the Backfire branch?

I also note that the packages for Backfire refer to older versions of the third-party sources in many cases. I'd like to keep up with security and functionality patches on the packages as well. Is there any reason not to use the AA package tree for compilation with Backfire?

Side note -- It also might be helpful to have the warning about minimum RAM and CPU requirements on the main OpenWRT.org page somewhere, as it indicates "Latest release: 12.09-rc1; Documentation; Download" which will take you to binaries without any warnings.

(Last edited by jeffster on 8 Mar 2013, 18:35)

Hello again. Can anybody help me with that? I'll really apreciate that.

Maybe I can download the MIMO dirvers to make the router working in BGN modes, but i can't use the update packages option. Always returning this:

Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … ckages.gz.
wget: bad address 'downloads.openwrt.org'
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … ckages.gz, wget returned 1.

Thank you very much!

PaPer_DJ wrote:

Hello family!

I am new to OpenWRT Firmware, and a happy user of a Router D-Link DSL-2740B revision C2

I have encountered that with this Attitude Adjustment version of OpenWRT I can flash it direclty to the router via the standrad flash recovery solution wich this router has simply holding the reset button for 8 seconds at the same time you power on the router.

The main question is, my Router is WIFI N, but the driver of wifi is: Generic 802.11bg Wireless Controller (radio0)

Why it's not WIFI bgn ??

Can I download WIFI N drivers for this router? or maybe let the software choose any other drivers?

Also, I can't update the packages list to download anyone, but the router got internet from other Router, working via RJ45 Port, and WIFI working too bridged to LAN.

Thank you very muchhh!!!

Hello Again. I Asnwer myself, in case any other question the same as me.

I can update the package list conecting the wifi to my oher router via "WIFI client mode"
Im sure there is a way to specify the internet is comming from a RJ45 port but I don't find it.

Anyway... there is a way to use the N drivers insthead of B/G drivers? "Generic 802.11bg Wireless Controller (radio0)"

I need the 802.11bgn drivers for this router, wich seems to have this WIFI Chip: Broadcom BCM4321 802.11bgn

Thank you again!

PaPer_DJ wrote:

Hello again. Can anybody help me with that? I'll really apreciate that.

Maybe I can download the MIMO dirvers to make the router working in BGN modes, but i can't use the update packages option. Always returning this:

Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … ckages.gz.
wget: bad address 'downloads.openwrt.org'
Collected errors:
* opkg_download: Failed to download http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_a … ckages.gz, wget returned 1.

Thank you very much!

PaPer_DJ wrote:

Hello family!

Why it's not WIFI bgn ??

Thank you very muchhh!!!

PaPer_DJ wrote:

Why it's not WIFI bgn ??

You're messing in generic thread, which is about AA release, not D-Link DSL-2740B. Create thread asking for that issue and you can expect some answer then.

Guys and gals, this is a generic thread about AA 12.09 -beta.
Nobody is going to answer unless they are bored (like me). Of those, very few will have answers to what you want.
How about:
1. search the wiki
2. search the forums
3. if all else fails, create a new topic, with a nice descriptive header, and lots of info (like dmesg output, opkg installed etc)

Panic mode here. System ran for 2 days. Something was changed and now it doesn't respond anymore. How can i do a factory reset? Pressing the reset button may work but i don't know the IP. The router doesn't answer on 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. What's the standard IP? How can i get access back?

ethernet, not Wifi!

Telnet->firstboot worked.
I think i used the wrong port (not WAN) when i tried it the first time or something similar.

Thanks... smile

1) Is there no hardware button combo or something like this doing the same?

2) There is no 'shutdown' function in the UI so i guess just pulling power cord is ok? No unmount necessary for graceful shutdown?

(Last edited by HectoPascal on 15 Mar 2013, 17:15)

Please, is TP-LINK TL-MR3220 supported?

Hi,

I noticed that AA image for MR3420 v2 MR3220 v2 are not present,  is it possible to know why ?

The discussion might have continued from here.