OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Mysql for IPKG? Please!

The content of this topic has been archived on 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi there, here is an request for an Ikpg Package:
Could someone please make an Mysql 4.1.13 Package?
I would really apreciate it!
I mean, yeah, you will think now: This is far too big for an router,
yes but not for an WGT634U with an external usb with 128 mb, from which it does boot!
^.^'
So my plans to have an mysql database for having my phpbb forum running on my "router",
cause it doesn't need that much power and is real silent.
i build an real silent eisfair server a while ago (amd k6 400 mhz 3,3v @ 250mhz 1,5 passiv / supply passiv also with microdrive)
but this thing is, as you can imagin, real big in comp. with an wgt634u unit, and it drains more power than that (I think).

So, please could someone do this`?
Thanks

DeusExMachina

(Last edited by DeusExMachina on 8 Jan 2006, 15:24)

Um,
there is a "client" upgrade.
I mean the server,
or is by this ticket meant the mysql 4.1 server?
Thanks
DeusExMachina

The server will probably really big, but as soon as we get the working packages for the client, we can probably package the server too.

Ah thank you,
Greetings
DeusExMachina

By the way, is there a "skeleton package", makin it easer to make a package in this format?

MySQL server will probably never be included in the buildroot for the following reasons :
- it's too big,
- it doesn't make sense to run a database server on a router
- database files shouldn't be stored on flash (and won't be persistent)
- if you want persistent data, you should use a file server - why not run a database server on it too

Can you tell us why you would need a mysql server for?

Yep,
I need this thing for hosting my phpbb forum on my router here at home.
I already got an eisfair Server standing here,
but as I said, its kinda big (19' 4HE thingy, got no other case atm) and drains more energy.
And in fact, it does have more ram than mine router, but after all, it isn't using even if it has.
This forum I'm speaking of is really small. It got 17965 posts atm, but there are daily only 2 or 3 users posting.
Maximum in almost 2 years were 16 ppl online at the same time.
So no kind of "big power" needed for this.
And so it does make sense, because router has some advantages as you see.

And for the problem of having not enough space on the flash,
there are two solutions:
1) Go and get ya self solderd an 12V Backup System, and use the ram as drive (if you're router got some bigger ram ^^) -> Bad idea,
but an idea at least ^^
2) Be glad about havin' a WGT634U with Installed OpenWGT, booting from the (on the usb port) applied 128 MB Usbstick, the 1 GB Microdrive or the 160 GB HDD. So I think, one of these 3 memory systems would have enough space for a roughly 40 mb Mysql 4.1 Server ^^'

So theres in my eyes no kind of a problem, so....
Besides, would be nice to see what an WGT634U actually can endure... speaking of using it as an webserver with php and mysql! ^^

(Actually, I plan to use thttpd-php as webserver, only about 1,4 MB big, and havin' php 4.3.7 inside. Installed it already and it is running GREAT!)

Are these arguments good enough?
^^

DeusExMachina, alias Nico Maas ^^

Any one is willing to help me....
Please?!
I really awfully need this package!
I would do it myself but it seems i#m too dumb!
I would really appreciate that....

DeusExMachina

Hello,

I am using WRT-54G with 512Mb hard drive attached. I would love to run Joomla on my router. :-) So can I get my MySQL? ;-)

I am using WRT-54G with 512Mb hard drive attached. I would love to run Joomla on my router. :-) So can I get my MySQL? ;-)

Agreed

Routers are getting more powerful now

I would like to install LAMP on the Routerstation Pro

Thanks

Routers usually only have some MB of flash built in. I guess a LAMP really is a bit too heavy here, speaking in terms of flash memory needed for installation, but also RAM usage and CPU load. Not to forget the flash writing cycles stressing your flash chip. But mounting some NAS or even webspace would solve that. Another major problem is ensuring database integrity, since routers are usually switched off rather than rebooted. MySQL won't tolerate that.

The idea itself is just great. I'm already thinking about a embedded MediaWiki solution for my Speedport W500V (which is currently running Bitswitcher Linux) ...

Has anyone tried a lightweight solution, something like lhttpd with php and sqlite ?

I'm currently working on an lighttpd / php5 / sqlite 2 system for an embeded service.
Sadly, sqlite2 does not work as of an error.
I can build it with the BuildEnv as trunk or 10.03, but I just can't get sqlite2 to work...
Mh...

The discussion might have continued from here.