OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: B5 wishlist & todos

The content of this topic has been archived on 11 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Post here what you'd like to see for b5.  Wishlists, known bugs in b4, and todos (in case you're a developer).

These issues has been addressed in the CVS version:

Support for static IP and /etc/resolv.conf (wan_dns).
Inability to bring up the 802.11g interface on 1.x box (wl0_macaddr issue).

Note: If you need the aforementioned fixes, delete sources/dl/root.tar.gz and recompile the firmware - It should download the updated root from the CVS during the recompile.

These issues needs to be addressed before b5 is released:

Support for pppoe (pppoecd.mk and few files in the romfs)

I don't know if this is the tread for this request, but is there going to be an  ipkg for the web interface?

- startup scripts, e.g. /etc/init.d/ the scripts can then take options as start, stop, restart etc.

I haven't given it too much thought yet, but here's the tentative list of things which will be changed in b5:

- /etc/rcS will be broken down into a SysV style init with /etc/rc/<script> [start|stop]
- build environment able to build ipkgs

possibly:
... Block Based Compression Framework for JFFS2
... web administration package (anyone want to write one?)
... migrate settings from nvram to a parsable file on jffs2 on first boot
... tinylogin providing telnet password "security"

It would be nice to have a text configuration file, but it will make make it harder to have a frontend to the configuration. I'm still not sure that I want to include tinylogin as it's really a false sense of security.

Does tftpd run by default on OpenWRT ?

I want to be able to use the normal Linksys TFTP.exe windows program to switch between the official and other three third-party firmware distributions easily (so I can test my BigPond Heartbeat fixes on all distributions).

Unfortunately, I need to be running Windows on the client to do the testing, so I don't want to have to reboot between Windows and Linux to compare heartbeat operation on the four different firmware releases.

I know that Linksys, Wifi-Box and Sveasoft all have tftpd running by default.  Does OpenWRT have it running by default ?

Yes I know I could load up OpenWRT b4 and have a look, but I'm nowhere near that box at the moment, so I was hoping that someone here knows.

Alternatively, is there a tftp.exe for Windows which works during boot_wait ?

If tftpd is not running by default, please consider this as a wishlist request for b5, at least for the failsafe mode.

Thanks,
-- Rod

Does tftpd run by default on OpenWRT ?

No, however you can upload a new firmware in trx format and write it directly to flash with some simple commands:

mtd write linux.trx linux
reboot

The code.bin file is really just the .trx with a small header including version number appended. I see no need to add a tftp daemon.

Thanks - that should do the trick.

I also realised that the tftpd executable does not have corresponding source code in the Linksys distribution, so maybe the source code is not available for it anyway (in which case I presume it would not be suitable for inclusion in OpenWRT as it isn't "open").

-- Rod

- /etc/rcS will be broken down into a SysV style init with /etc/rc/<script> [start|stop]

if anything like "/etc/init.d/iptables save" would be possible it would be great (maybe only rudimentary  support first). On a debian you have these options:

# /etc/init.d/iptables
/etc/init.d/iptables options:
  start|restart|reload|force-reload
     load the "active" ruleset
  save <ruleset>
     save the current ruleset
  load <ruleset>
     load a ruleset
  stop
     load the "inactive" ruleset
  clear
     remove all rules and user-defined chains, set default policy to ACCEPT
  halt
     remove all rules and user-defined chains, set default policy to DROP

Saved rulesets:

... web administration package (anyone want to write one?)

IMHO that should be last thing to be added. The basic stuff (e.g. SysV style init scripts) should come first. And in the end a web interface is just a thing of convenience. All the things you can do with it can also be done on the command line. So if there is a more complex issue, one could also write a small HOWTO about which commands one needs to run to get it working, no need for a web interface.

[So if there is a more complex issue, one could also write a small HOWTO about which commands one needs to run to get it working, no need for a web interface.

That sounds good to me. So long as there is good documentation for dummies, I'll be happy. A great start would be one explaining all the vlan stuff and how to get the ports to function individually. I've read all the posts, and just can't seem to wrap my brain around the whole vlan setup in this router.

It would be really good if OpenWRT could converge towards the Linux Base Standards (http://www.linuxbase.org), including the Linux FileSystem Hierarchy Standard (http://www.pathname.com/fhs).  All of the major linux distributions follow this standard, and it should make it easier to port packages from mainstream linux distributions into OpenWRT.

-- Rod

all the major distributions do not feet in 4Mo of space disk ...

all the major distributions do not feet in 4Mo of space disk ...

That's very true.

Sorry if my post gave the impression that I wanted OpenWRT to *comply* with the Linux Base Standard (which requires a whole lot of libraries and executables).

What I meant was that when we do add new stuff, we should take note of how that stuff is organised in other Linux distributions, rather than re-inventing the wheel.  It will make it easier to port new stuff in the long run.

The size of the distribution not at all related to where you put the stuff that you've got.  Where you put stuff is definitely related to how easy it is to port an exising package which has been written to work with a standard distribution.

-- Rod

I am presently working on a basic web interface that could be suitable for b5.  My intention for the first version will be mostly informational until SysV-style or a similar init scripts system is implemented.

- Justin

I am presently working on a basic web interface that could be suitable for b5. My intention for the first version will be mostly informational until SysV-style or a similar init scripts system is implemented.

I'm also working with a modified version of Linksys httpd server ... you can ask me for a snap shot. My httpd server is very smaller, does not make strick checkings and is very easy to modify web pages. There are some pages to show stats informations and some basics web forms for easy configuration of nvram variables. This product is not complet but allready usable.

I really would like to see a ntpdate utility for sychronising time.

In this context a syslog-ng daemon, for having an external logserver would also be nice, but maybe to large. If yu have a complex Firewall, and log sometimes, something, it gets big really fast. wink

The ddclient for dyndns.org could be a nice extension.

I really see, there is no space for the man pages to specific tools, but it would be nice to have some documentation, e.g. udhcpd.conf, maybe on a web site.

nslookup is deprecated, dig is the new replacement. Any plans for changing this?

Also, pppoe support would be real great.

---
OT: Great work so far. I was surprised seeing things like vi, df, ipcalc, dmesg, the fully configured kernel and so on. Lets say, this is a great project. I am not longer bound to the limitations the webinterface had.

--
puck

P.S.: I know this is most likly not possible, but perl would be a great enhancement. You could easiyl script many things, including system configuration.

I really would like to see a ntpdate utility for sychronising time.

Point your ipkg.conf at http://wrt54g.free.fr/openwrt/b4/ipkg and then
ipkg update
ipkg list
ipkg install ntpclient

The ddclient for dyndns.org could be a nice extension.

Yes, this should be fairly simple.

There's already an rdate built into busybox, no need for ntpdate.

after paying aroud a lot i got the wrt working with 3 interfaces and without bridge.

Just an idea to make the openwrt more usefull:

set runlevel like in linuxap

for example:
runlevel 2 -> automatic configuration with bridge and default networking.sh
runlevel 3 -> networking configuration just by a file like in debian

networking3.sh:
ifconfig eth2 x.x.x.x netmask....hw ether xx.x.x.....
ifconfig vlan1 ...........
ifconfig vlan2 .............

brctl .........

The discussion might have continued from here.