OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WNDRv4 fit for openwrt - english

The content of this topic has been archived between 8 Feb 2018 and 2 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Diffie wrote:
braveguywallce wrote:
Diffie wrote:

Hi all, just FYI; i have suspended sharing of my image builds due to few bugs that cropped up lately.

Seeking anyone with serial console access to debug this one https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/17609

I will keep you updated. Cheerios! stay tuned!

HI Diffle, thanks a lot for your great work! I am now using build of r41522 by AdamK for both WNDR3700v4 & WNDR4300, it works so well. And I also want to try your build, could you please answer a few questions for me as I am new to Openwrt.

1. If I upgrade from Luci by your sysupgrade.rar , can I get the full overlay size? or I have to flash your new build by tfpt to get it?

2. My router is running openwrt now, suppose I flash by tftp mode, the command line should be tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT <sysupgrade.rar>, is it right?

3. Is there any Chinese language package for Luci available to your build?

Thank you!

braveguywallce,

1. yes sysupgrade will give you larger partition ( i would use tftp though because i can't remember if 3700v4 on AdamK's image was upgradeable i think after 418xx for sure it was)

2. don't use windows so not sure (i think you might need to install the service from control panel to get tftp) or get a free client from web (sf.net) has a few

3. I have enabled Chinese translation in my recent builds (Polish language is enabled as well) should be selectable from LuCI system submenu

Hi Diffie, it's great you have put the Chinese language package to your build! I will introduce it to my friends! As the Linux kernel in your build is 3.10.53, very update, May I ask if the ipk packages under download.openwrt.org/...../barrier_breaker/14.07-rc3/ar71xx/nand/packages/ works well with your build?

Thank you!

braveguywallce,

yes the packages from official download site will work minus the kernel ipk's since i am using a newer kernel (you can also fetch specific package from my site at the link where the image is posted). Just update the list from within the LuCI software page to fetch available ipk files.

Thanks @Diffie, I have already recommend your build to my Chinese friends! They will love your work!

Cheers!

Diffie wrote:

braveguywallce,

yes the packages from official download site will work minus the kernel ipk's since i am using a newer kernel (you can also fetch specific package from my site at the link where the image is posted). Just update the list from within the LuCI software page to fetch available ipk files.

Hi diffie, someone here had tried to upgrade AdamK's r41522 to yours, and he used the Luci interface for the upgrade and was informed as "The uploaded image file does not contain a supported format. Make sure that you choose the generic image format for your platform". As per your suggestion, I advised him to use tftp instead of Luci, then , which file we should use in tftp, the factory.img or sysupgrade.tar ?

thank you!

Hello everyone,
I have a router (WNDR3700 v4). Some time ago, openwrt firmware installed. Version Barrier Breaker (14.07) RC3. Now when I want to restore to the official original firmware, according to Wikipedia's method can not be complete. Use tftp also failed. Can only be installed openwrt.
1, with the original firmware when installing openwrt compiled from the Internet. 2, after compiling a firmware own, properly used. 3, when installing openwrt again failed. tftp only restore openwrt firmware.
May I ask, what method to recover back to the original firmware?

mo55ji wrote:

Hello everyone,
I have a router (WNDR3700 v4). Some time ago, openwrt firmware installed. Version Barrier Breaker (14.07) RC3. Now when I want to restore to the official original firmware, according to Wikipedia's method can not be complete. Use tftp also failed. Can only be installed openwrt.
1, with the original firmware when installing openwrt compiled from the Internet. 2, after compiling a firmware own, properly used. 3, when installing openwrt again failed. tftp only restore openwrt firmware.

Hi, I am now using AdamK's r41522, it works perfectly, and it is no problem for me to restore it to original factory img by tftp. I haven't tried the offical Barrier Breacker 14.07 RC3, however AdamK's r41522 is no problem to restore.

Just hold the reset key and power on the router, then the orange LED will flash, try ping 192.168.1.1 to get response from router, then tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT <firmware.img>, that's it.

I plan to upgrade to Diffie's build soon because it may release more flash.

(Last edited by braveguywallce on 31 Aug 2014, 15:52)

Diffie wrote:

braveguywallce,

Hi Diffie, I have already flashed your firmware, so far , it works great! everything is well, thanks for your good job!

Wanted to thank all of you involved in the development. I Just switched from dd-wrt to official OpenWrt BB 14.07 RC3 (on WNDR3700v4) and I'm very pleased with it so far. Problems I face are the tagged/untagged vlans bug (hopefully this patch will soon be released) and I also cannot get overlay extroot to work at all. I'll stay tuned.

Meaulnes wrote:

Wanted to thank all of you involved in the development. I Just switched from dd-wrt to official OpenWrt BB 14.07 RC3 (on WNDR3700v4) and I'm very pleased with it so far. Problems I face are the tagged/untagged vlans bug (hopefully this patch will soon be released) and I also cannot get overlay extroot to work at all. I'll stay tuned.

Hi Meaulnes - what kind of tagged/untagged VLAN issue are you having? I tried the patch you mentioned but it actually broke my working 3700v4 VLAN setup with both tagged/untagged ports...

To be more specific, I have 3 vlans like this:

vlan 1: "0t 1 2 3t 4"
vlan 2: "0t 5t"
vlan 3: "3t 5t"

so vlan 3 is for my IPTV which is connected to another router connected to 3700v4's port 3...

This setup works fine with AdamK/Diffie's builds as well as the official builds, with only one exception: all LAN ports will randomly stop receiving DHCP/ARP broadcasts every several days. That's why I tried the patch mentioned. And with the patch my 3700v4 just seems to be booting into the exact issue directly big_smile

Is there any reason why the official images do not support the whole flash?
And any chance to upstrem the required patches in time for 14.07 final?

Hi rlei,

Patch is to allow following (example) config:

VLAN 1:
  vid: 1
  ports: 0t 1 2 3 4

VLAN 2:
  vid: 2
  ports: 5 6

VLAN 100:
  vid: 100
  ports: 0t 1t 2t 3 4

where a port can be untagged in one VLAN and, at the same time, tagged in one or several VLAN. Impossible to do this on my WNDR3700v4 OpenWrt 14.07 RC3, be it by command line or through Luci.

(Last edited by Meaulnes on 5 Sep 2014, 21:32)

NOTICE: Due to overwhelming and time constraints on my part i have to discontinue sharing of the custom builds. In the next seven days there will be no more images posted at my site, please update your links accordingly.

It's been a ride and fun sharing with you all but as they say all good things must come to end!

Many of you have downloaded my configs and patches and i do hope one brave soul will carry the baton i received from AdamK and continue...

so long folks
<me waves good bye!>

Diffie wrote:

NOTICE: Due to overwhelming and time constraints on my part i have to discontinue sharing of the custom builds. In the next seven days there will be no more images posted at my site, please update your links accordingly.

It's been a ride and fun sharing with you all but as they say all good things must come to end!

Many of you have downloaded my configs and patches and i do hope one brave soul will carry the baton i received from AdamK and continue...

so long folks
<me waves good bye!>

Hi Diffie, your build is really so great! we hope to see you and your works soon!

I have successfully installed Barrier Breaker (14.07) RC3 on a WNDRv4 and I'm very happy with it. Now I bought a second device for friend and installed it in the same way:

- go to the native Netgear GUI
- firmware upgrade
- uploaded the img

It looked like everything was successful. I uploaded the backup I made from my device to the new one. After rebooting the device went into failsave mode. I flashed the img again using TFTP. Successful ... after rebooting again in the failsave mode.

I then put the original netgear firmware onto the device ... all perfect. Then I tried to 'upgrade' to openwrt again in the GUI. After the reboot again in the failsave mode.

Any ideas?

Thx!

I have installed Barrier Breaker 14.07 final release (r42625) on my WNDR3700v4 using openwrt-ar71xx-nand-wndr3700v4-ubi-factory.img . rootfs has 14MB, how can I extend it to use all available storage or which image should I use?

I read that the partition is only resized using tftp, but I'm not sure if it refered the official builds or the forum users builds. I first upload the firmware using netgear admin web and then I tried using TFTP with the same firmware image.

The available images are these:
openwrt-ar71xx-nand-wndr3700v4-ubi-factory.img
openwrt-ar71xx-nand-wndr3700v4-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar

Why the is no squashfs-factory? Can I upgrade an installation of ubi-factory using squashfs-sysupgrade? Can I install squashfs-sysupgrade using tft?

What's the difference between nand and generic images?

Thanks

(Last edited by scc on 6 Oct 2014, 14:08)

mo55ji wrote:

Hello everyone,

Hello mo55ji, I just gone through the experience with Barrier Breaker 14.07 / LuCI Trunk (0.12+svn-r10530) on my WNDR3700 v3.
I posted the results and how I was able to flush back the original netgear firmware.
Also I would like to advise you that (if you have not tried that yet) use hardware reset button on the bottom of the router. That means:
1. get your computer ready by setting a static IP address to 192.168.1.2
2. start the TFTP client and point it to 192.168.1.1
3. in terminal window start the continues ping of 192.168.1.1
4. unplug the power cable, press and hold the reset button.
5. watch the LED for the switch (port 1 -4) once the all blink green and turn off, immediately after that you should see router responding to the pings in the terminal window and that's your trigger to start TFTP session sending the original firmware from netgear in to the router. Release the reset button.
6. Let it complete the transfer, this process takes between 5 - 20 minutes.
7. once transfer is done, DO NOT unplug the router and let it sit for another 10 min, after that it sould reboot on it's own and respond on 192.168.1.1

Good luck. 

Please see my post here: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 87#p249687

(Last edited by SoCal_sky on 9 Oct 2014, 07:22)

wndr3700 v3 and v4 are very different hardware. i wouldn't assume what works on v3 will work on v4.

scc wrote:

I have installed Barrier Breaker 14.07 final release (r42625) on my WNDR3700v4 using openwrt-ar71xx-nand-wndr3700v4-ubi-factory.img . rootfs has 14MB, how can I extend it to use all available storage or which image should I use?

I read that the partition is only resized using tftp, but I'm not sure if it refered the official builds or the forum users builds. I first upload the firmware using netgear admin web and then I tried using TFTP with the same firmware image.

The available images are these:
openwrt-ar71xx-nand-wndr3700v4-ubi-factory.img
openwrt-ar71xx-nand-wndr3700v4-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar

Why the is no squashfs-factory? Can I upgrade an installation of ubi-factory using squashfs-sysupgrade? Can I install squashfs-sysupgrade using tft?

What's the difference between nand and generic images?

Thanks

I tried to apply *-squashfs-sysupgrade.tar using luci but router restarts and nothing is changed.
How can we extend 14MB storage now, when Diffie's images are not available for download?

(Last edited by theboo on 14 Oct 2014, 20:22)

Hi Diffie,

Can you share your config again? I want build the 14.07 version base on your config! Thanks!

Diffie wrote:

so long folks
<me waves good bye!>

I have a wndr3700v4 (see [1]).
Specs in [1] say it has 128MiB NAND flash, but when I install the firmware on the router, the real partition size is a quarter. I'm trying to compile firmware, this is the layout configured for these router, the same as wndr4300:

wndr4300_mtdlayout=mtdparts=ar934x-nfc:256k(u-boot)ro, 256k(u-boot-env)ro, 256k(caldata),512k(pot),2048k(language), 512k(config), 3072k(traffic_meter), 2048k(kernel), 23552k(ubi), 25600k@0x6c0000(firmware), 256k(caldata_backup),-(reserved)

What's is ubi? and firmware?

wndr3700v1, with 8MiB flash, has this layout:
wndr3700_mtdlayout=mtdparts=spi0.0:320k(u-boot)ro, 128k(u-boot-env)ro, 7680k(firmware), 64k(art)ro

Why can't it use all the nand flash space?

EDIT: I found this:
https://github.com/openwrt-mirror/openw … ac7fdd1cbb
Do you think it's correct?

Thanks

[1] http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700

(Last edited by scc on 18 Dec 2014, 13:57)

somebody should probably update the wiki page for the WNDR3700v4/4300 now that it's properly supported. Needs install instructions and link to the firmware image.

Hi there

I am a bit confused about the firmware myself.

I flash with ubi.factory.bin but what do I do with squashfs-sysupgrade.tar?

Am I correct to assume once I manage to incorporate the tar file the NAND capacity will be upped to 128MB?

drawz wrote:

somebody should probably update the wiki page for the WNDR3700v4/4300 now that it's properly supported. Needs install instructions and link to the firmware image.

you should only need the factory file for initial flash. Sysupgrade is used when upgrading. Not sure if there's something unique about this in relation to the NAND flash.

Hi,

a few month ago I tried an old image from AdamK on my WNDR3700v4. But in the past I dont worked with this.
Now, I need this router, but sadly the webinterface is broken. I cant connect to that.

I only can connect via telnet and I can upload an Image via ftp to /root. I did this with openwrt-ar71xx-nand-wndr3700v4-ubi-factory.img

How can I flash this Image now?

Thank you

Use the sysupgrade command

tadeus wrote:

Hi,

a few month ago I tried an old image from AdamK on my WNDR3700v4. But in the past I dont worked with this.
Now, I need this router, but sadly the webinterface is broken. I cant connect to that.

I only can connect via telnet and I can upload an Image via ftp to /root. I did this with openwrt-ar71xx-nand-wndr3700v4-ubi-factory.img

How can I flash this Image now?

Thank you