OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: WGT634U + Kamikaze?

The content of this topic has been archived on 18 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

OK, I give up! Searched for a hour or so thru www.openwrt.org and dev.openwrt.org/wiki for brcm 2.6 binaries. The old locations downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/brcm-2.6/ and downloads.openwrt.org/people/wbx/ are empty. Why are the binaries moved around so much?

tmc12 wrote:

OK, I give up! Searched for a hour or so thru www.openwrt.org and dev.openwrt.org/wiki for brcm 2.6 binaries. The old locations downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/brcm-2.6/ and downloads.openwrt.org/people/wbx/ are empty. Why are the binaries moved around so much?

So much? I do not build any wgt extra builds anymore. And at the moment I am searching for a snapshot build machine.
It needs 40-50 GB free space, unlimited traffic and 2-3 Ghz. Any idea?

tmc12 wrote:

The build process is really simple. How hard is it to svn the source down, run a menuconfig, run a make, and come back in 45 minutes? There's a lot more flexibility making your own images anyway, and you're sure to be current.

It's great if you have a build environment, but what if you are just
gettin into OpenWRT on the 634U, and don't want to add to the confusion.

Are there any stable images out there with default networking configured?

ie; one you could load with the Netgear web interface, reflash, then ssh/telnet
and start using?

Bill

... well I have been trying to get a full build from the last 2 weeks and I'm still unable to get it... there is always some thing missing or incomplete. i just grabed a snap like a hrs ago and the the 2.6 kernel seem to have dissapires from the make menudonfig DEVELEPER=1.

I know this is in developement and that i'm no guru when it comes to C codding but i would shure liek to get a full build that I cant start testing and setup my router with... my wife has been asking for the last 3 week to "connect the printer" :cP

Christian

Alrighty then. After posting the 1st question about location of binaries, I googled around for subversion and apt-getted to my webserver, a slow K6-II machine with little free HD space. I'd rather not be compiling on it, but other choices are worse, cygwin on Toshiba Libretto 233mhz. I'm on vacation and normal debian PC is shutdown 1200miles away. I brought wgt634u and Libretto with me to monkey with. So, with ssh and a K6 500 I see if I can churn thru all the build dependencies and come up with a bin. So where did the openwrt-wgt634u-2.6 bins go? I've searched, but no luck.

tmc12 wrote:

So where did the openwrt-wgt634u-2.6 bins go? I've searched, but no luck.

if you look in ./bin there should be a list of all the bin/trx and a packages folder with all the ipk.

Christian

boboXx wrote:
tmc12 wrote:

So where did the openwrt-wgt634u-2.6 bins go? I've searched, but no luck.

if you look in ./bin there should be a list of all the bin/trx and a packages folder with all the ipk.

Christian

Could you tell me if those images have basic networking configured, like the 54G binaries do,
or rather read the nvram variables.  I've read the WGT images read all network settings from
/etc, which is fine, as long as it comes up (without needing a serial console... :-)

savoy wrote:

Could you tell me if those images have basic networking configured, like the 54G binaries do,
or rather read the nvram variables.

Dont know i'm always using a serial cable... :c)

Christian

boboXx wrote:
savoy wrote:

or rather read the nvram variables.

Dont know i'm always using a serial cable... :c)

Christian

With an ASUS WL500-G deluxe the 2.6 image shows up with networking up at 192.168.1.1 and you can then log in and change everything manually. This is working very nicely!

However, on a Linksys WRT54G V1.0 the 2.6 firmware does not seem to work properly. I only have a serial console for the ASUS and not for the Linksys. So, I cannot see what is going on. Does anybody know where the problem could be?
Should the 2.6 kernel work with the WRT54G?

Btw., after reflashing with whiterussian RC4 the WRT54G works fine again.

Ralph

I'll volunteer my PC.

It's a AMD Sempron 3300+ (1.8Ghz), a converted ex-Windows machine. The ext3 root fs is only ~20GB, but it's enough to compile OpenWrt WhiteRussian and Kamikaze.

http://flyashi.dyndns.org:81/ has links to Kamikaze builds and packages, and WR builds and packages.

I'll soon have it auto-updating the binaries from svn every few hours.

I'm on IRC if you guys need it.

- Flyashi

The discussion might have continued from here.