OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Developing Support for TPLINK WDR4900

The content of this topic has been archived between 4 Oct 2014 and 4 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Just a data point: I bought a WDR4900(EU) v1.3 today. It is labeled as a TP-Link N900 on the casing and on the box. So if you see one called N900, it could be this one.

I've only done a very basic setup, but it seems to run okay on trunk of today.

(Last edited by kerpal on 5 Jan 2014, 03:04)

Is there somewhere to see what software works with the current trunk version?
Now I see a list in openwrt only is it not to open.

Is there anything known when the wdr4900 a beta / stable going / coming.

Since I am going to love to use upcoming opportunities .......

Dylantje wrote:

Is there somewhere to see what software works with the current trunk version?
Now I see a list in openwrt only is it not to open.

Is there anything known when the wdr4900 a beta / stable going / coming.

Since I am going to love to use upcoming opportunities .......

It's hard to say. Trunk is where all the development happens. So the code can be quite different from day to day, and on some days there may be bugs.

I don't know when a new stable version of OpenWRT will be started. But I have good results with the version from trunk.  Right now, it seems to be working well as a basic IPv4/IPv6 router with some packages, but I haven't done super complex things yet. Have had no crashes or anything, the default install worked in one go.

The WDR4900 looks like a great device for OpenWRT now. It's cheap, I can route 500Mbit/s with it, and it has 97MB free RAM and 10MB free flash.

(Last edited by kerpal on 6 Jan 2014, 22:23)

I get crashes on heavy RAM usage like NAS file transfer or Pyload downloads. I started from scratch with LuCI Trunk (svn-r9948) and OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r39203 and added some additional packages.

I am using overlay on the same USB stick where the SWAP partition lies with „block“ and tried different trunks the last days but the problem is still reproduceable.

The device don't reboots but the applications which are running shut down.

The logfile looks like the device trys to use the SWAP with a Kernel warning and then fails with this Kernel errors:

[1095.889440] m25p80 spi0.0: error -12 reading SR
[ 1095.894091] end_request: I/O error, dev mtdblock3, sector 12490
[ 1095.900263] SQUASHFS error: squashfs_read_data failed to read block 0x6197f6
[ 1095.907451] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read data cache entry [6197f6]
[ 1095.913813] SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 6197f6, size 16364

Anybody else with this kind of problems under heavy use?

Is SWAP and overlay on a USB stick working?

Yes, I have the same problem (crashes and freezes with same log entries) while rsyncing big iphoto library. Not sure, but looks like device runs out of memory, at least after purging the memory rsync task sometimes succeeds. Enabling swap on USB disk did not help at all.

Been reading a while but I cannot figure out what is the status on this... hope somebody can put some light for me here.

My router was running an old version (can't remember the number), 2 days ago I updated to Barrier Breaker r39161. From what I understood in the thread, the patches were accepted in the trunk version, so I thought it should work properly. Apparently it is not: after some hours (say >10) of very very light traffic, the router gets frozen and the link speed decreases dramatically.

So, which is the best option for now? I am an experienced Linux user, but I can not spend time on compiling sources and applying patches for this, sorry sad
Could anybody having a stable version share it for all of us? In case I missed a link, could you please re-post it?

Thank you very much in advance folks smile

Current version from trunk should be stable. All the patches for gianfar driver are in trunk already for a quiet long time, no need for custom builds anymore. Moreover, the problem mentioned a couple posts above should be fixed too by today changeset r39247.

eximido wrote:

Current version from trunk should be stable.

Can't confirm that. I can't even enable my second Wifi (5 GHz).

r39276

@ Anon...

I have 2x wifi 5 GHz ..
1 for y home
And 1 gast..

anon9876 wrote:

Can't confirm that. I can't even enable my second Wifi (5 GHz).

r39276

I've recently upgraded from some older build (compiled in oct2013) to newer r39247.
Still no issues, both 2.4GHz & 5GHz wireless are enabled and working fine.

Check your config, you could try to delete /etc/config/wireless file and reboot the device to get it automatically re-generated.

eximido wrote:

Check your config, you could try to delete /etc/config/wireless file and reboot the device to get it automatically re-generated.

That seemingly only works temporarily, i.e. after changing some settings (like transmitting power and/or encryption) via LuCI, I can't enable it anymore.
Interestingly, the 2.4 GHz wifi works fine.
(As I said, latest build - 14-Jan-2014 04:02, r39276)

Edit: Must be LuCI's fault. Manually editing the config and manually enabling works without any further problems.

(Last edited by anon9876 on 15 Jan 2014, 10:02)

I have a WDR4900  v1 and this device is quite the performer. I have an ipsec tunnel using strongswan and aes128/sha1 encryption and the throughput is ~8 MB/s (megabyte) through the encrypted tunnel. Although the performance has been indicated by the openssl benchmark on http://wiki.openwrt.org/inbox/benchmark.openssl, I'm really surprised to see that the actual throughput is this good.

(Last edited by saltafisken on 16 Jan 2014, 09:35)

Have you tried with an ethernet cable? You can change the WIFI key after.

anon9876 wrote:

@nebbia88: Yes and yes, but I can't connect to the router via Wifi since no key seems to match.
I tried the reset button, the LED was blinking faster for about three seconds, but I still wasn't able to telnet 192.168.[0|1].1, even after manually assigning my IP/netmask).

irinelturturea wrote:

Have you tried with an ethernet cable? You can change the WIFI key after.

I ended up using TFTP and screen, successfully.
-> https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=220450#p220450

(The problem was, that even when I did connect with an ethernet cable plus static IP, nothing worked, since the SquashFS partition had many faulty blocks, hence it couldn't even boot properly)

(Last edited by anon9876 on 17 Jan 2014, 17:09)

Okay, I'm a bit puzzled now.
Got the router today, flashed OpenWRT successfully, installed LuCI over my local LAN, setup both WLANs and the LAN successfully.

I've got access to the router without any issues - however,  I didn't manage to get the router connected to the internet.

While I'm used to using Linux, I never set up any virtual LANs or PPPoE before, so I might have some issues here.

I tried a lot, removed some of the devices and the switch configuration, but I couldn't get it to work.
All I can see in the System Log is that it starts pppoe... no other information.

I'm a bit confused here, probably mainly about the switch setup.

Here is the hardware connections on my router:

Ethernet Ports: Normal PCs
DSL-Port: direct DSL Connection (Telekom business account).

The DSL Cable was previously connected to a FRITZ! Wlan3170 and works fine (I hope the router doesn't have a different pinout...)

So, how do I setup the network/switch/VLAN configuration successfully to use the DSL Port for a pppoE connection?

Thanks a lot for your help smile

I don't think that TP-Link WDR4900 has a DSL port at all.

it's not a dsl router. just plain ethernet, like every tp-link wdr*** or wr***.

There's still something clearly broken for the wdr4900 on trunk. Something happened between r38458 and r39076, causing instability during heavy load. I still see the same problem with r39365.

I'm have a 4G modem connected to the wrd4900, and can download at roughly 40Mbit/s. With r38458, I have no stability problems at all -- I can download at full speed all day and night, without any problems. With r39076 and r39365, large HTTP downloads (or other heavy traffic) frequently freezes for a moment (for up-to 15 secs), during which no other traffic will go through the router either (e.g. pings).

These tests have been mainly from a pc connected directly with to a 1GE port on the router.

In case you are wondering why I have tested these specific trunk versions, they simply correspond to the versions used by the Rooter project in their releases.

- What about strange log messages ? Are there any?
- test the versions of OpenWrt when they had a kernel update (38506,38652, 38972,39059 )

I dont have a wdr4900/4G modem so I cannot test, sry

I am unfortunately unable to test specific trunk versions. I use the Rooter firmware's, and am thus limited to the builds that they have produced. The build with r38458 works perfectly fine, but the next one with r39076 and any subsequent newer ones do not.

I do not recall any specific error messages, but at the same time I can't say I would have carefully looked for any.

@jamu: I believe I see the same on ROOter as you do - and agree that there is little logged of apparent relevance. On one occasion (I started seeding 8 or so torrents with upnp enabled) it killed the 2.4 GHz AP point, or so it seemed. On that point, I want to ask you if you have seen 2.4 GHz instabilities, typically after a long uptime - 1 to 2 weeks?

In case folk don't know, aside of various LTE "directIP" enabling scripts, ROOter essentially is OpenWrt.....

@ryts: Yes, I do believe I saw some wireless instability while I was running the r39076 -based build for several weeks. I remember I had to reboot the router at least once to regain internet connectivity for my PS3, which is connected with wireless. At the same time the wired connection was working fine. This was after at least a week of uptime, if not more.

I don't recall seeing any similar wireless problems with the earlier r38458 -based build, which is what I am running now as well. I've had this build running for close to two months in total, with virtually no problems. If it weren't for advancements in the Rooter -project itself, I would not have any immediate need to upgrade.

Hi,
I am quite new to openWRT - but i have also seen some issus, atleast 2 times now, where the WIFI connection drops out.
This nite at 3, it was dropped out and not revovered, i had do disable and enable the wireless link in the router.
I have a server and a camera running in the nights else everythin closed down - only the cam on the WIFI.
I did not check the revision, but quite new, installed it somehow a week ago.
I have nothing connected to the USB.
I will keep trackin this...

EDIT: Version BARRIER BREAKER (Bleeding Edge, r39369)

/Kasper

(Last edited by rapzak on 3 Feb 2014, 09:55)

Running r39340, I no longer have any stability issues.

For the last 15 hours, I have been doing the following:
-Downloading torrents through rTorrent onto a USB drive connected to the router
-Backing up my computer via Time Machine to a volume on the router

Occasionally, I've also streamed video files from the USB drive.

The average load has been between 2.0-4.0.

It hasn't even broken a sweat. Finally(!)