OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: PS3, Pseudobridge (relayd) and uPnP (dlna)

The content of this topic has been archived on 31 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

I'm at my wits end and have been searching for an answer everywhere. Hopefully someone can help me.

I have a router running openwrt which is bridged to my main network using relayd. I can see devices from either side of the bridge and everything is working.

I have a media server on the main network and a ps3 on the openwrt side both connected via ethernet to their respective devices.  The ps3 cannot see the media server at all without the help of igmpproxy. Using igmpproxy i can see the media server if it starts after igmpproxy starts or after an amount of time (maybe 20 mins?) when the media server must to a discovery or something.

If I manually try to search for media servers on the ps3 it says no servers found and all the servers that were shown disappear.

Using tcpdump i see that the ps3 is sending out 3 or 4 udp packets to 239.255.255.250 on port 1900 but they do not get relayed to the main network.

i've tried every setting in igmpproxy, as well as trying udp-broadcast-relay, miniupnpd, snat and dnat but nothing seems to be working.

miniupnpd might be what i need but the website is not really helpful in explaing what it actually does. picked up the SSDP packets and gave me a wall of text and some chain errors but it didnt do anything either. I'm getting confused between upnp - the media side and upnp - the port forwarding side. i understand the differences but not how people refer to one another.

bump

bump....

kinda same problem here... can't see the server over the network... tried different server clients like serviio, windows media player, plex etc .... none work. Guess the connection doesn't work because the client is on wifi and the server is wired.

hawkeye1103 wrote:

kinda same problem here... can't see the server over the network... tried different server clients like serviio, windows media player, plex etc .... none work. Guess the connection doesn't work because the client is on wifi and the server is wired.

I can get them to come up using igmpproxy but they will show up only if they have been started after igmpproxy has started. If you try to manually search for servers, any server found will dissappear.

I used this as a guide: https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 85&p=2

Is this an error that is due to be fixed in the future versions?

Because I am considering at the moment switching back to the original firmware as it is.

hawkeye1103 wrote:

Is this an error that is due to be fixed in the future versions?

Because I am considering at the moment switching back to the original firmware as it is.

I'm not sure. That's why I wrote on the forum. I'm trying to find a work around. I read that if you set up some virtual interfaces it can help but I can't get it to work yet.

Bump

relayd is working fine for me here using the latest source code, i.e. r35770 from trunk.
I can access SMB and uPNP service on both side of the network.
Took me a while to learn how to configure it properly though..

I am using a Openwrt router acting as WIFI client to allow computers to connect to this Openwrt router via ethernet.

A few lessons I learned these few days trying to setup my network here using relayd
1) you must create a new interface specifically for relayd, otherwise, it won't work.
2) LAN must be on its own interface
3) WIFI (WWAN) must be on its own interface
4) don't bridge the interfaces together because relayd will be doing that for you

Hope this works for you...

ericwongcm wrote:

relayd is working fine for me here using the latest source code, i.e. r35770 from trunk.
I can access SMB and uPNP service on both side of the network.
Took me a while to learn how to configure it properly though..

are you using igmpproxy or any other packages other than relayd? and if so how did you set it up?

I used the luci relayd package so i was able to set up relayd through the web interface but i couldnt get any upnp working until i set up igmpproxy

(Last edited by omggo on 27 Feb 2013, 10:53)

i just tried using relayd with the snapshot version above and it is exactly the same. relayd does not forward multicast traffic so i still cant see my media server even using windows media player from the wireless side.

omggo wrote:
ericwongcm wrote:

relayd is working fine for me here using the latest source code, i.e. r35770 from trunk.
I can access SMB and uPNP service on both side of the network.
Took me a while to learn how to configure it properly though..

are you using igmpproxy or any other packages other than relayd? and if so how did you set it up?

I used the luci relayd package so i was able to set up relayd through the web interface but i couldnt get any upnp working until i set up igmpproxy

Sorry, I thought uPNP is passing through correctly because SMB manage to get through, I can use Windows remote desktop assistance and I can ping devices across the relayd Openwrt router. I didn't get around to actually use uPNP yet... I tried it just now and it seems like uPNP broadcast is not getting through..

No, I am not running igmpproxy...
Can you do all the three things I mentioned above with your configurations except uPNP?

ericwongcm wrote:

relayd is working fine for me here using the latest
Can you do all the three things I mentioned above with your configurations except uPNP?

yes, I can do everything except find uPNP media servers (either by ps3 or windows media player) because it uses multicast and thats where im having trouble.

(Last edited by omggo on 27 Feb 2013, 14:44)

Actually, what is the problem in using igmpproxy?

I found a thread on this topic and using igmpproxy seems to be the only solution to pass multicast..
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=30185

Btw, do you know howto install luci-app-igmpproxy?
opkg install luci-app-igmpproxy
doesn't work..

And I can't find it when I compile the ROM from source either...
I am compiling from the latest trunk, r35770

I can see someone have added the patch to add the luci interface for igmpproxy but how do I install or use it?
http://luci.subsignal.org/trac/attachme … roxy.patch

ericwongcm wrote:

Actually, what is the problem in using igmpproxy?

I found a thread on this topic and using igmpproxy seems to be the only solution to pass multicast..
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=30185


if i use igmpproxy. i cant get igmp queries to work properly. so when a device searches for upnp servers it wont show any but then they randomly appear.

i dont know how to install igmp in luci. i used ssh to configure igmp through uci.

I've had 100% success using arp-nat with gargoyle firmware. it has a speed drop from 8-9MB/s to 6-7MB/s, but that is good enough for what i need.

atm I'm trying to compile openwrt with the gargoyle arp-nat patch but so far its not working.

im using this as a guide:
http://projectgus.com/2010/03/wireless- … h-openwrt/

omggo wrote:
ericwongcm wrote:

Actually, what is the problem in using igmpproxy?

I found a thread on this topic and using igmpproxy seems to be the only solution to pass multicast..
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=30185

if i use igmpproxy. i cant get igmp queries to work properly. so when a device searches for upnp servers it wont show any but then they randomly appear.

Well, igmpproxy is working well for me here though..
Make sure you disable your computer's firewall when testing uPNP.. I spend a long time yesterday trying to figure out why it is not working correctly and in the end, it was my zonealarm firewall causing it.

I use this config for igmpproxy (/etc/config/igmpproxy)

config igmpproxy
    option quickleave 1

config phyint
    option network wwan
    option direction upstream
    list altnet 192.168.15.0/24

config phyint
    option network wwan
    option direction downstream
    list altnet 192.168.15.0/24
    
config phyint
    option network lan
    option direction downstream
    list altnet 192.168.15.0/24

config phyint
    option network lan
    option direction upstream
    list altnet 192.168.15.0/24
omggo wrote:

i dont know how to install igmp in luci. i used ssh to configure igmp through uci.

Same here...
Post here if you somehow figured out how to use igmp in luci....

omggo wrote:

I've had 100% success using arp-nat with gargoyle firmware. it has a speed drop from 8-9MB/s to 6-7MB/s, but that is good enough for what i need.

Disable BWMON on gargoyle would improve your speed to the same as Openwrt.
The bandwidth monitoring takes CPU time and thus, the slow down..
Also make sure your QoS is off...
I guess you don't need to run QoS nor bandwidth monitoring, right?

I use gargoyle firmware myself too for bandwidth monitoring and quota management wink

ericwongcm wrote:

Actually, what is the problem in using igmpproxy?

I use this config for igmpproxy (/etc/config/igmpproxy)


Thanks for the config. i've copied it exactly but i still have the same problems.

the problem is that the media servers don't come up when you refresh the library list.

try this:
1-turn off router
2-start media server on other side of bridge
3-start router
4-look in windows media player. do you see the media server in the list? i dont.
5-restart media server - media server shows up in windows media player list


ive tried disabling all firewalls but this problem still remains.

my issue is solved.. the solution was to use openwrt w/ arpnat patches from gargoyle

The discussion might have continued from here.