OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Links WRT54G

The content of this topic has been archived on 23 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Is there any way to determine the external computer MAC address on a particular Linksys WRT54G port (similar to IOS show CAM) and the set/negotiated speed/duplex (ie. mii-tool, ethtool)?

Thank you,

Frank
frank.pikelner@blue-dot.ca

What do you mean by external IP address ? If you are looking for the "WAN" port MAC addressm it is usualy the same, unless you specify one in wan_hwaddr

Consider I have 3 switch ports in use by computers. Since the Linksys is a switch it must store MAC addresses in a lookup table to forward packets to the approriate computers (layer 2, not looking to get IP address) once received in its buffers.

I'm not sure how the tables are implemented but would be the equivalent of an ARP cache on a computer though I do not think they are the same.

I want to be able to learn the MAC addresses of the computers the switch learns about and which Linksys port the   MAC addresses are connected to. We've ported an agent to the Linksys platform and this information would be useful.

The discussion might have continued from here.