OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Netgear R6300?

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Unfortunately it's too expensive for me to buy it and Netgear refused to send me a sample for adding support for it in Linux.

Another problem is that for writing wireless driver I would need PCIe card (like PCE-AC66) which is quite expensive too...

P.S.
If you find a serial console on your device, you can try booting ELF image (without overwriting current firmware) and we will know how well bcma&friends support this device. Maybe nothing more is needed at all?

(Last edited by Zajec on 11 Mar 2013, 08:21)

Wow!
Calm down! tongue
I'm a noob, and I've just "entered" openwrt's world.
Don't know how to find a serial console, nor booting ELF image tongue
I think I'm not capable of doing that.
And yeah... this router is VERY expensive (at least here, in Brazil, where it would cost something like US$ 600... damned taxes).

digital wrote:

Wow!
Calm down! tongue
I'm a noob, and I've just "entered" openwrt's world.
Don't know how to find a serial console, nor booting ELF image tongue
I think I'm not capable of doing that.
And yeah... this router is VERY expensive (at least here, in Brazil, where it would cost something like US$ 600... damned taxes).

And does your government actually do anything with all those tariffs? Likely lining their pockets.

I would like to start seeing openwrt on the new .ac routers, especially with USB 3.0 support.

tului wrote:
digital wrote:

Wow!
Calm down! tongue
I'm a noob, and I've just "entered" openwrt's world.
Don't know how to find a serial console, nor booting ELF image tongue
I think I'm not capable of doing that.
And yeah... this router is VERY expensive (at least here, in Brazil, where it would cost something like US$ 600... damned taxes).

And does your government actually do anything with all those tariffs? Likely lining their pockets.

I would like to start seeing openwrt on the new .ac routers, especially with USB 3.0 support.

Pockets, underwear, something like that...

Yesterday I was reading about donating hardware to openwrt.org... I was thinking about donating one R6300 to openwrt.org big_smile (US$200 at Amazon, is a lot of money yet)... will see

digital wrote:

Wow!
Calm down! tongue
I'm a noob, and I've just "entered" openwrt's world.
Don't know how to find a serial console, nor booting ELF image tongue
I think I'm not capable of doing that.
And yeah... this router is VERY expensive (at least here, in Brazil, where it would cost something like US$ 600... damned taxes).

Look like China is one of the markets where sell this type cheapest (Newegg china sell it with 699RMB=US$120) , when Amazon US is 180$

I can't believe it costs $600 in Brazil , crazy price!

Yep.
Let's say I want to buy it on Amazon US, for US$ 180 + shipping. And international shipping is something like US$ 50
When it arrives here, I would have to pay 60% over that price (WITH shipping), so it would be a total of US$ 360 + some other tax that I don't understand... in the end, that's US$ 400. And let's hope the router has no problem at all tongue

Since it's been few months since you've posted this, was curious if you managed to get openwrt working on the r6300 v1.
Do let me know please!

digital wrote:

Man!
(Sorry for my bad english)

I've just looked at Netgear R6300 specs, 128 MB flash, 128 MB ram???
(http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wi … 0.aspx#two)

I've just got one of these, any chances to have a openwrt version for it???

No sad
I don't have the necessary knowledge (nor guts tongue) to try it.

Like you, I'm also new to hardware hacking but I think this can be done.
For one thing, the chip inside bcm4706 does work with openwrt for other routers.

I really don't understand what keeps it being officially supported, but I might be willing to donate one R6300 to zajec if necessary (that is, if I don't manage to do it myself) big_smile

I really, really, really want a writeable linux filesystem on my router, not a bad idea at all. The necessary knowledge comes by reading a lot I guess, so let's see if I'm patient enough..

digital wrote:

Yep.
Let's say I want to buy it on Amazon US, for US$ 180 + shipping. And international shipping is something like US$ 50
When it arrives here, I would have to pay 60% over that price (WITH shipping), so it would be a total of US$ 360 + some other tax that I don't understand... in the end, that's US$ 400. And let's hope the router has no problem at all tongue

I have some friends who live in some Latin American countries. They subscribe (with a monthly fee) to some US shipping company services located in US, i.e. Miami, FL, Houston, TX, etc. When they purchase the products from China (with free S/H to US) or Amazon, they use the US address provided by such a US shipping company service. When the package arrives, the US shipping company service will ship the product to their address in their country for a much less expensive fee + custom fee.

The discussion might have continued from here.