OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Trying to support D-Link DIR-615 Ix

The content of this topic has been archived between 6 Feb 2018 and 21 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Karl.z wrote:

Great work!

I hope I saw your post 2 months ago so that I would not spend much time on this.
Actually I've already compiled the firmware on openwrt 14.07, but after I flashed it, the router kept rebooting.
My firmware is only 3735578 bytes, not 3801088 bytes, there must be some error when composing the image.
I saw the mtd layout has 192k(lang), can it be used as part of openwrt's firmware space ?
can I use just dd command under linux prompt to upgrade the firmware, like this:

dd if=firmware-sysupgrade.bin of=/dev/mtd4 bs=64k 

I answer my question:

1. The 192k(lang) space can be released and used by openwrt firmware, need to modify mtd_layout definition in target/linux/ar71xx/image/Makefile

#cameo_ap123_mtdlayout_4M=mtdparts=spi0.0:64k(u-boot)ro,64k(nvram)ro,3712k(firmware),192k(lang)ro,64k(art)ro
cameo_ap123_mtdlayout_4M=mtdparts=spi0.0:64k(u-boot)ro,64k(nvram)ro,3904k(firmware),64k(art)ro

2. dd doesn't work here since flash need to be erased before writing.
So openwrt provides a tool "mtd" for this purpose.
But it is not in DLINK's official firmware. I've compiled one and tested OK for dir615i1.
It is static linked and should work on all ar71xx CPU.
If anyone interest, it can be download here

(Last edited by Karl.z on 26 Feb 2015, 11:11)

Try this patch for BB. I still need refresh my patch to sync latest trunk commit(s).

Karl.z wrote:

Your BB firmware works, but the firmware compiled from source with your patch would cause kernel panic, error message "MIPS: no machine found for id 'DIR-615-I1' ..."

The cause is your patch file.
Please apply below patch on your 1.diff file:

--- 1.diff.orig 2015-02-25 12:09:55.819201809 +0800
+++ 1.diff      2015-02-25 12:12:27.559203068 +0800
@@ -388,6 +388,15 @@
   config ATH79_ROUTERBOOT
        def_bool n

+@@ -1397,6 +1408,7 @@
+ +obj-$(CONFIG_ATH79_MACH_DIR_505_A1)   += mach-dir-505-a1.o
+ +obj-$(CONFIG_ATH79_MACH_DIR_600_A1)   += mach-dir-600-a1.o
+ +obj-$(CONFIG_ATH79_MACH_DIR_615_C1)   += mach-dir-615-c1.o
+++obj-$(CONFIG_ATH79_MACH_DIR_615_I1)   += mach-dir-615-i1.o
+ +obj-$(CONFIG_ATH79_MACH_DIR_825_B1)   += mach-dir-825-b1.o
+ +obj-$(CONFIG_ATH79_MACH_DIR_825_C1)   += mach-dir-825-c1.o
+ +obj-$(CONFIG_ATH79_MACH_DRAGINO2)     += mach-dragino2.o
+
 diff --git a/target/linux/ar71xx/patches-3.14/902-unaligned_access_hacks.patch b/target/linux/ar71xx/patches-3.14/902-unaligned_access_hacks.patch
 index b00a629..c4d0005 100644
 --- a/target/linux/ar71xx/patches-3.14/902-unaligned_access_hacks.patch

Also need to modify

target/linux/ar71xx/Makefile

to set

KERNEL_PATCHVER:=3.14

Regarding In client mode if the signal quality  is 30% or below it works for a couple of web pages then the access point disappears.

I ran logread and dmesg after it stop working.

under logread
Mon Mar  2 19:46:43 2015 daemon.notice netifd: Network device 'wlan0' link is down
Mon Mar  2 19:46:43 2015 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wwan' has link connectivity loss
Mon Mar  2 19:46:44 2015 daemon.notice netifd: wwan (1071): Sending renew...
Mon Mar  2 19:46:44 2015 daemon.notice netifd: wwan (1071): udhcpc: bind(UDP): Cannot assign requested address
Mon Mar  2 19:46:44 2015 daemon.notice netifd: wwan (1071): Received SIGTERM

The access point is open network (no security) and all I did was select client mode and change the mac address for WWAN

Thanks

zzcodi wrote:

Regarding In client mode if the signal quality  is 30% or below it works for a couple of web pages then the access point disappears.

I ran logread and dmesg after it stop working.

under logread
Mon Mar  2 19:46:43 2015 daemon.notice netifd: Network device 'wlan0' link is down
Mon Mar  2 19:46:43 2015 daemon.notice netifd: Interface 'wwan' has link connectivity loss
Mon Mar  2 19:46:44 2015 daemon.notice netifd: wwan (1071): Sending renew...
Mon Mar  2 19:46:44 2015 daemon.notice netifd: wwan (1071): udhcpc: bind(UDP): Cannot assign requested address
Mon Mar  2 19:46:44 2015 daemon.notice netifd: wwan (1071): Received SIGTERM

The access point is open network (no security) and all I did was select client mode and change the mac address for WWAN

Thanks

Try new firmware I've just updated at first post. I don't have any issues with client mode(with WPA2-PSK-CCMP encrypted access point) until now.

teslamint wrote:
  • sometimes failed to update from stock firmware upgrade page(upload on firmware recovery mode is fine)

How exactly did you do the upload in firmware recovery mode? Specifically what browser, OS? Because I've tried firefox-37.0.2 and curl-7.42.0 with the options

curl -0vF files=@$HOME/downloads/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-dir-615-i1-squashfs-factory.bin http://192.168.0.1/cgi/index

and it didn't work. It just prints

*   Trying 192.168.0.1...
* Connected to 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) port 80 (#0)
> POST /cgi/index HTTP/1.0
> Host: 192.168.0.1
> User-Agent: curl/7.42.0
> Accept: */*
> Content-Length: 3801335
> Content-Type: multipart/form-data; boundary=------------------------9d8c570e111a638c
>

and pauses forever.

I can upload firmware on firmware recovery mode with latest version of Safari on Mac OS X 10.10.

ewtoombs wrote:
teslamint wrote:
  • sometimes failed to update from stock firmware upgrade page(upload on firmware recovery mode is fine)

How exactly did you do the upload in firmware recovery mode? Specifically what browser, OS? Because I've tried firefox-37.0.2 and curl-7.42.0 with the options

curl -0vF files=@$HOME/downloads/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-dir-615-i1-squashfs-factory.bin http://192.168.0.1/cgi/index

and it didn't work. It just prints

*   Trying 192.168.0.1...
* Connected to 192.168.0.1 (192.168.0.1) port 80 (#0)
> POST /cgi/index HTTP/1.0
> Host: 192.168.0.1
> User-Agent: curl/7.42.0
> Accept: */*
> Content-Length: 3801335
> Content-Type: multipart/form-data; boundary=------------------------9d8c570e111a638c
>

and pauses forever.

I did eventually figure it out. The curl method described here http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-615 doesn't work from linux any more, but the old firefox from windows XP did work. (BTW if anybody could figure out how to get the curl method from linux working again, that'd be awesome. I hate having to reboot every time I want to flash.

Now, my problem is that this openwrt doesn't boot successfully. I can't access the web interface, and dhcp doesn't work either (both from ethernet). I see a pattern of lights that is definitely different from the default firmware, though. The power button flashes quickly, then slowly, then stops. That didn't happen with the default firmware. So I am pretty sure there is at least something in openwrt that is working. I downloaded the version you posted on dropbox. My hardware is an I1.

ewtoombs wrote:

I did eventually figure it out. The curl method described here http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/d-link/dir-615 doesn't work from linux any more, but the old firefox from windows XP did work. (BTW if anybody could figure out how to get the curl method from linux working again, that'd be awesome. I hate having to reboot every time I want to flash.

Now, my problem is that this openwrt doesn't boot successfully. I can't access the web interface, and dhcp doesn't work either (both from ethernet). I see a pattern of lights that is definitely different from the default firmware, though. The power button flashes quickly, then slowly, then stops. That didn't happen with the default firmware. So I am pretty sure there is at least something in openwrt that is working. I downloaded the version you posted on dropbox. My hardware is an I1.

Sounds like you installed a trunk build of OpenWrt, which doesn't include a web interface. You can install one from the command line. Try connecting via telnet or SSH and follow the wiki instructions to install a web GUI. Or consider flashing to a stable build of OpenWrt (14.07).

DHCP doesn't work, though, and I'm pretty sure telnet doesn't either. What address do I have to set my client to? Where can I get more information about the default settings for the trunk builds?

ewtoombs wrote:

DHCP doesn't work, though, and I'm pretty sure telnet doesn't either. What address do I have to set my client to? Where can I get more information about the default settings for the trunk builds?

trunk has the same defaults as the other builds. 192.168.1.1 should be the router IP and you need osmething in the 192.168.1.x range to get to it. Telnet in if the router hasn't been configured before (under openwrt).

can you link to the file you used?

Ohhhhh, I was trying 192.168.0.1 this /whole time/! Is there a site with info like that on it?

ewtoombs wrote:

Ohhhhh, I was trying 192.168.0.1 this /whole time/! Is there a site with info like that on it?

Yes, the OpenWrt wiki.

Did that fix it?

btw this is the link I used: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/um79jc8vus9y … qyzKa?dl=0
I chose the I1 factory one.

I just found the page I was looking for: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firstlogin

It says dhcp is /on/ by default, and dhcp totally didn't work for me all the times I tried it. I tried manually setting my address to 192.168.1.2/24 and telnetted the thing, and that didn't work either. Something else is wrong.

(Last edited by ewtoombs on 2 May 2015, 05:47)

It's hard to troubleshoot a random build. No idea if that has a GUI, default password, etc. installed. It's possible to even configure the defaults of that custom build to not have DHCP on by default, but I doubt it. If DHCP is not working, that's a bad sign. Try failsafe mode or possibly D-Link's recovery mode to reflash.

I assume you're connecting over ethernet and not wireless?

Yeah, over ethernet. What's failsafe mode? Oh yeah, also wireless doesn't work.

(Last edited by ewtoombs on 2 May 2015, 05:49)

Hi everyone,

I've been using dd-wrt on my DIR-615 I1, but since it has unsolved bugs with the wireless, as well as a much older version of dnsmasq, I'm thinking of trying out OpenWRT; I noticed that the link in the first message points to versions updated about 2 weeks ago (as of this writing) - I want to confirm that this means that it's still in active development (or hacking, since it's not "officially" supported yet it seems)?

Any major issues running on an I1?

ewtoombs wrote:

It's irrelevant now, since I just bricked my router with the ddwrt beta build here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/04-09-2 … rmware.bin

So yeah, don't use that one. My router is too bricked for even the recovery mode to work, which surprised me. So thanks for nothing, ddwrt. I'm filing a bug report as we speak.

I also made a forum post on their forum here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … 586#964586

Looks like your router's ART partition is broken.

sboisvert wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been using dd-wrt on my DIR-615 I1, but since it has unsolved bugs with the wireless, as well as a much older version of dnsmasq, I'm thinking of trying out OpenWRT; I noticed that the link in the first message points to versions updated about 2 weeks ago (as of this writing) - I want to confirm that this means that it's still in active development (or hacking, since it's not "officially" supported yet it seems)?

Any major issues running on an I1?

In my opinion, the most and major problem is high CPU clock.

teslamint wrote:

In my opinion, the most and major problem is high CPU clock.

Do you mean it runs with high CPU usage?

No, the CPU clock is too high, and the chip is not cooled right, causing restarts due to overheating.

How did you hook up the serial cable to it, teslamint?

(Last edited by ewtoombs on 16 Aug 2015, 01:24)

teslamint wrote:
ewtoombs wrote:

It's irrelevant now, since I just bricked my router with the ddwrt beta build here: ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/betas/2015/04-09-2 … rmware.bin

So yeah, don't use that one. My router is too bricked for even the recovery mode to work, which surprised me. So thanks for nothing, ddwrt. I'm filing a bug report as we speak.

I also made a forum post on their forum here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic. … 586#964586

Looks like your router's ART partition is broken.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

ewtoombs wrote:

How did you hook up the serial cable to it, teslamint?

Look J8, and pinout is +3.3V(near the J8), RX, TX, GND

Thanks, teslamint. Oh, also, what speed is it? I'm guessing 115200. And have you ever successfully connected to the Atheros SoC's JTAG interface? Because I think that's what it's going to take to debrick this thing.