OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Quallcomm qca9558/TP-Link WDR7500 support

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 May 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I have this same problem. 5ghz as working just fine until I foolishly decided to upgrade my trunk build from ~2.5 weeks or so ago. Now I am getting the same error as you. I'm in the process of building 40698 from source at the moment. I've learned my lesson: if it's not broken then don't try to fix it, especially when it comes to this firmware

Edit: Successfully built r40698 and included a number of packages (including kmod-ath10k) that are not normally included in the snapshot. It was my first time doing this and it was a very pleasant process. kmod-ath10k works once again for me, using r40698. I think from now on in the future I'm going to build my own. I chose r40698 because in the bug report, a user stated that the wireless driver worked properly for him with that build but it's possible that there could be even later ones where it still works.

WonderWoofy wrote:

I got an archer c7 v2 yesterday and flashed barrier breaker onto it.  The ath10k-pci module from the kmod-ath10k package doesn't seem to work with it.  The package itself is dated from 2014-05-19 and it is on BB r40804.

dmesg gives me:

root@OpenWrt:/# dmesg  | grep ath10k
[  210.560000] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0x12000000-0x121fffff 64bit]
[  210.870000] ath10k: pci irq legacy irq_mode 0 reset_mode 0
[  210.960000] ath10k: otp calibration failed: 2
[  210.960000] ath10k: failed to run otp: -22
[  210.970000] ath10k: could not init core (-22)
[  211.230000] ath10k: could not probe fw (-22)
[  211.230000] ath10k: failed to register driver core: -22
[  211.230000] ath10k_pci: probe of 0000:01:00.0 failed with error -22

I also found this bug report as well, which seems to be what I am experiencing.

Has anyone else run into this issue?  I was thinking that maybe I should clone the git sources and build from about a week ago or so.  From all that I have read, the v2 should work with the 5GHz band of this router...

(Last edited by pbpeod on 3 Jun 2014, 01:08)

pbpeod wrote:

I have this same problem. 5ghz as working just fine until I foolishly decided to upgrade my trunk build from ~2.5 weeks or so ago. Now I am getting the same error as you. I'm in the process of building 40698 from source at the moment. I've learned my lesson: if it's not broken then don't try to fix it, especially when it comes to this firmware

Edit: Successfully built r40698 and included a number of packages (including kmod-ath10k) that are not normally included in the snapshot. It was my first time doing this and it was a very pleasant process. kmod-ath10k works once again for me, using r40698. I think from now on in the future I'm going to build my own. I chose r40698 because in the bug report, a user stated that the wireless driver worked properly for him with that build but it's possible that there could be even later ones where it still works.

On reddit's /r/openwrt I posted this problem as well.  It seems is came from r40800, which was a big-ass merge of Linux 3.14's wireless changes into OpenWrt's 3.10 kernel.  So I successfully got 5GHz working from r40799, but on that build the 2.4GHz didn't seem to function quite right.

I have since added trunk revisions to my RSS feeds and have been watching to see when this gets fixed.  Apparently it is an issue with otp (not entirely sure what that is).  I also don't actually know if I would even recognize a fix from the commit titles.

OTP is essentially EEPROM with calibration data, regulatory domain etc. Earlier versions of ath10k didn't check whether reading OTP succeeded, so v2 units worked, but uncalibrated. Now the check is made, and ath10k throws an error, since reading OTP failed. Ath10k developers are aware of the issue, but no solution yet.

snk wrote:

OTP is essentially EEPROM with calibration data, regulatory domain etc. Earlier versions of ath10k didn't check whether reading OTP succeeded, so v2 units worked, but uncalibrated. Now the check is made, and ath10k throws an error, since reading OTP failed. Ath10k developers are aware of the issue, but no solution yet.

This is great info.  Thanks!

Does this also explain why users were experiencing less than ideal performange from the 5GHz band (since it was running uncalibrated)?

I've got a copy I'll leave up for a few days:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwV4Qz … sp=sharing

# cat /proc/mtd
dev:    size   erasesize  name
mtd0: 00020000 00010000 "u-boot"
mtd1: 0010abd4 00010000 "kernel"
mtd2: 00ec542c 00010000 "rootfs"
mtd3: 00cf0000 00010000 "rootfs_data"
mtd4: 00010000 00010000 "art"
mtd5: 00fd0000 00010000 "firmware"

# dd if=/dev/mtdblock4 of=/tmp/dump.mtdblock bs=8192 count=8
8+0 records in
8+0 records out

# dmesg | grep ath10k
[   10.260000] ath10k_pci 0000:01:00.0: BAR 0: assigned [mem 0x12000000-0x121fffff 64bit]
[   10.580000] ath10k: pci irq legacy
[   11.890000] ath10k: qca988x hw2.0 (0x4100016c) fw 10.1.467.2-1 api 2 htt 2.1

To be honest - my english ist not the very best. My 3600 died today and i buy an C7 (should be here on Tuesday).
Is it "safe" with open wrt or is it experimental? My Wd3600 works great (till he dies today) but i wont brick the new one on the first day.

Regards

I flashed a new c7 yesterday and then discovered previously working 5GHz was broken again.  Things are working fine as a whole on the router but it's definitely not a full kit.  From what I've seen overnight the radio bandwidth seems impaired for the 2.4GHz too.  The stock firmware was fully lit and I was getting much better connection bandwidth on every thing it offers.  I'm thinking of flashing back to stock and ride this out for a little which is a shame because I was looking forward to setting up openwrt shop on it.

They're digging for calibration data right now.  It could be a month or a day.  It's hard to tell.  pbpeod built is own.  I might go that route if it's not time intensive.  I haven't built openwrt so I'm thinking it could be a time sink. .. meh.

You won't brick it but it won't be fully loaded either.

Guess im out. I read on Amazon that V1 have massive problems with the 5Ghz Modul - it should be solved in V2 but Amazon sending only V1.*.

I'm not sure if I was lucky, but the unit I got from Amazon UK on Friday was a V2.

Oddly mines a replacement for a WDR4900 which has also just died :-(

I have a Archer C7 V2 bought from Newegg.com, flashed to OpenWRT.

The wired network works very unstable, sometimes speed may reduced to 0 several seconds while I am testing the network speed between two PCs. 
The problem disappeared after I flash it to factory firmware.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

WonderWoofy wrote:
pbpeod wrote:

On reddit's /r/openwrt I posted this problem as well.  It seems is came from r40800, which was a big-ass merge of Linux 3.14's wireless changes into OpenWrt's 3.10 kernel.  So I successfully got 5GHz working from r40799, but on that build the 2.4GHz didn't seem to function quite right.

I have since added trunk revisions to my RSS feeds and have been watching to see when this gets fixed.  Apparently it is an issue with otp (not entirely sure what that is).  I also don't actually know if I would even recognize a fix from the commit titles.

Bro,have you fixed the 2.4g issue?

What's the status of Archer C7 V2 now? 2.4GHz/5GHz functional at full speed? Is there any AC router that rocks with OpenWRT at the moment?

Iamstuck wrote:

I rigged up my USB-TTL cable and got an output OK but I cannot transmit anything back to the board. Using putty when I press on the keyboard no transmit is shown on screen. I have re soldered the transmit cable 5x and still I get nothing back. This prevents me from typing the tpl command to break in. It just autoboots the on board FW all the time.

Sometimes the Rx line is cut by a missing resistor in TP-Link boards, look near the serial header.

can't you flash from gui without serial anyway?

imho you should flash from uboot, not from a openwrt ram image.

(Last edited by nebbia88 on 17 Jun 2014, 19:25)

nebbia88 wrote:

imho you should flash from uboot, not from a openwrt ram image.

I will try that first tomorrow after researching the commands. I am very beginner at this.

@Iamstuck

looks like you have damaged capacitors on board - C555 & C557

Just to confirm

I managed to flash openwrt archer c7v1 from the 16th to the wdr7500 v3. I preformed the flash from uboot serial console.

The v3 only has 8mb flash

Just got my Archer C7 V2 from newegg today with 77 bucks.
Before I was about to flash OpenWRT on it , I spent an hour to read through this thread.
And looks like I have better not to flash it big_smile

Right now with the stock rom , I could get my MBP 2013 retina working great both on 5ghz AC mode ( about 300 mbps) and on 2.4g N mode(100mbps). These are REAL speed , that I get when copying files from my macbook to my wired HTPC.

So , did you guys get better performance than mine?

Those speeds are actually pretty bad if what you're saying is correct.

You should typically between 65% and 70% of the link speed for TCP connections under good conditions.

However, the 2013 Macbook Pro doesn't support 802.11ac according to Apple, so you should really be getting ~150Mbps or so on 2.4Ghz and ~300Mbps on 5Ghz.

If it does somehow support AC despite Apple denying it, then 100Mbps is near the maximum of what you can expect at 2.4Ghz but your 5Ghz AC performance should be much higher, it should really be in the 500-600Mbps range.

(Last edited by qasdfdsaq on 24 Jun 2014, 12:50)

qasdfdsaq wrote:

Those speeds are actually pretty bad if what you're saying is correct.

You should typically between 65% and 70% of the link speed for TCP connections under good conditions.

However, the 2013 Macbook Pro doesn't support 802.11ac according to Apple, so you should really be getting ~150Mbps or so on 2.4Ghz and ~300Mbps on 5Ghz.

If it does somehow support AC despite Apple denying it, then 100Mbps is near the maximum of what you can expect at 2.4Ghz but your 5Ghz AC performance should be much higher, it should really be in the 500-600Mbps range.

Oh really?
then what do you think of this test? tongue
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/images/stories/wireless/tplink_archerc7/tplink_archerc7_5ghz_dn_compare.jpg

Actually , apple didn't deny it , you could see that in this page.
http://support.apple.com/kb/SP691

Ahem...

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP690

Wireless

Wi-Fi
    802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;3 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible

So they seem to say the 13" has it and the 15" does not... Dubious.

As for that test - I've said many times before Smallnetbuilder has and has always had abnormally low wireless results and this has been the case for many years. And in the past they've had horrendously bad testing practices (taking a 3-stream 450Mbps wireless card and leaving one antenna unplugged, then complaining it's not faster than a 2-stream 300Mbps card... I mean seriously. WTF.)

Take a look at http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/re … eviewed/3/ for more sensible results (which seem to suggest the 15" does have AC too, despite Apple's website and Apple's support staff saying it doesn't)
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2013-15-rMBP-2.011.png
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2013-15-rMBP-2.010.png

(Last edited by qasdfdsaq on 25 Jun 2014, 17:50)

qasdfdsaq wrote:

Ahem...

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP690

Wireless

Wi-Fi
    802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;3 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible

So they seem to say the 13" has it and the 15" does not... Dubious.

As for that test - I've said many times before Smallnetbuilder has and has always had abnormally low wireless results and this has been the case for many years. And in the past they've had horrendously bad testing practices (taking a 3-stream 450Mbps wireless card and leaving one antenna unplugged, then complaining it's not faster than a 2-stream 300Mbps card... I mean seriously. WTF.)

Take a look at http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/re … eviewed/3/ for more sensible results (which seem to suggest the 15" does have AC too, despite Apple's website and Apple's support staff saying it doesn't)
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2013-15-rMBP-2.011.png
http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2013-15-rMBP-2.010.png

well said , but actually I just want to ask, after flashing openwrt , would you get faster speed?
because , that works on my old router ( a trendnet crap).
on my old router , after flashing openwrt , the speed is increased at least 3 times! (from 2.x MB/s to 7.x MB/s)

You could once we get a stable, reliable driver. I wouldn't rely on it though, 802.11n has been around for ten years and we still don't have reliable open-source Linux drivers!