OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Quallcomm qca9558/TP-Link WDR7500 support

The content of this topic has been archived between 1 May 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Thank you qca9558 for the quick reply.

I meant to say flashing the openwrt build of Archer C7 firmware onto the TL-WDR7500 worked fine.

Does it mean everything is perfect and there is no error of WAN port being "shifted" to LAN4 port? Because in Post No.38 you mentioned "The same issue I was seeing before where the wan port is on the 4th lan port instead of the lan port.".

And your tip of changing /etc/config/network, was it applied in the Archer C7 firmware or the openwrt trunk?

So sorry to trouble you so much, I was given a WDR7500 but I cannot use it at all without an English interface...

Thank you very much.

qca9558 wrote:
Lennong wrote:

I got me one WDR7500 today but I seem to have gotten a faulty unit. When using serial and booting into uboot I cannot get any functional network communication. I have tried all of them but cannot ping or upload new firmware. The leds are blinking when sending ping but no success otherwise. What LAN port is default in uboot and is there any configuration to be done?

I could tftp using any of the yellow ports I think. Make sure you set hostip and serverip before tftping e.g.

set ipaddr 192.168.1.100 
set serverip 192.168.1.101; 
tftp <imagefile>

Make sure serverip corresponds to the computer you're running tftp on.

Yup, did that but no success. Tried all ports and different combinations but no go... What tftp server software do you use?

(Last edited by Lennong on 2 Jul 2013, 07:39)

oneuser wrote:

Thank you qca9558 for the quick reply.

I meant to say flashing the openwrt build of Archer C7 firmware onto the TL-WDR7500 worked fine.

Does it mean everything is perfect and there is no error of WAN port being "shifted" to LAN4 port? Because in Post No.38 you mentioned "The same issue I was seeing before where the wan port is on the 4th lan port instead of the lan port.".

And your tip of changing /etc/config/network, was it applied in the Archer C7 firmware or the openwrt trunk?

So sorry to trouble you so much, I was given a WDR7500 but I cannot use it at all without an English interface...

Thank you very much.

No worries smile The wan port being shifted shappens if you flash the archer c7 firmware. I haven't opened it as a bug because I don't know if it's a bug on the Archer C7 (I think it is but I can't test it for obvious reasons tongue) Just telnet into the device after flashing it over tftp and change the network config to be the same as mine and you'll be fine.

Lennong wrote:

Yup, did that but no success. Tried all ports and different combinations but no go... What tftp server software do you use?

Here's the script that I made because I was too lazy to keep typing the same thing in all the time:

set ipaddr 192.168.1.101; set serverip 192.168.1.100
tftp 0x80060000 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr7500-v1-squashfs-factory.bin
erase 0x9f020000 +0x7c0000
cp.b 0x80060000 0x9f020000 0x7c0000
boot.m 0x9f020000

I used opentftp http://sourceforge.net/projects/tftp-server/ and set my ethernet ipaddress to be 192.168.1.100 using ifconfig eth0:test 192.168.1.100

What's the exact issue you're getting? Post your u-boot output.

qca9558 wrote:

Here's the script that I made because I was too lazy to keep typing the same thing in all the time:

set ipaddr 192.168.1.101; set serverip 192.168.1.100
tftp 0x80060000 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr7500-v1-squashfs-factory.bin
erase 0x9f020000 +0x7c0000
cp.b 0x80060000 0x9f020000 0x7c0000
boot.m 0x9f020000

You are still using a serial cable, right? Or how else do you get into uboot?

Cheers,
jayrock

(Last edited by jayrock on 4 Jul 2013, 22:48)

jayrock wrote:
qca9558 wrote:

Here's the script that I made because I was too lazy to keep typing the same thing in all the time:

set ipaddr 192.168.1.101; set serverip 192.168.1.100
tftp 0x80060000 openwrt-ar71xx-generic-tl-wdr7500-v1-squashfs-factory.bin
erase 0x9f020000 +0x7c0000
cp.b 0x80060000 0x9f020000 0x7c0000
boot.m 0x9f020000

You are still using a serial cable, right? Or how else do you get into uboot?

Cheers,
jayrock

Yes that's using my serial cable. Just type tpl before it starts the kernel and it'll drop into its uboot environment.

OK, thanks. I'm reluctant to connnect to the serial port since I've never done this before. I'm wondering if flashing OpenWrt via the TP-Link GUI is on your "roadmap"?

Cheers,

jayrock

jayrock wrote:

OK, thanks. I'm reluctant to connnect to the serial port since I've never done this before. I'm wondering if flashing OpenWrt via the TP-Link GUI is on your "roadmap"?

Cheers,

jayrock

Nope I don't know how the GUI flashes the image and I can't take the risk of overwriting u-boot. If you want to try flashing openwrt through the gui you're welcome to try but you might want to have a serial cable and jtag as backup.

Hi qca9558, sincerely appreciate your help and guidance! Your instructions definitely boosted my confidence of "DIY" the English interface using the Archer C7 v1 firmware~

Just a few technical details that require your confirmation (well, since I'm not so "technical" wink)


Just telnet into the device after flashing it over tftp and change the network config to be the same as mine and you'll be fine.

so is this the correct sequence of getting it done:
(1) Flash the Archer C7 v1 firmware. (downloaded from http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=Archer+C7&version=V1)

(2) telnet into the device;

(3) change the network configuration per your instruction.




Q1.To flash the Archer C7 firmware, can I use the WDR7500 GUI or must I use tftp?

Q2: Is the telnet service on in the Archer C7 firmware, or do I have to do some configurations?

Q3: The modification of /etc/config/network file, was it done after the flash & by telnet into the router? If this is the case, can I just use PuTTy to edit the file?


Thank you for the help, really appreciated.. Have a wonderful day~

Cheers

(Last edited by oneuser on 5 Jul 2013, 06:27)

oneuser wrote:

Q1.To flash the Archer C7 firmware, can I use the WDR7500 GUI or must I use tftp?

You will have to use tftp and flash through u-boot to flash the archer c7 firmware. The wdr7500 gui will not let you flash a different model firmware to it.

oneuser wrote:

Q2: Is the telnet service on in the Archer C7 firmware, or do I have to do some configurations?

I don't know anything about the official Archer C7 firmware I've never run it I'm only supporting openwrt.

oneuser wrote:

Q3: The modification of /etc/config/network file, was it done after the flash & by telnet into the router? If this is the case, can I just use PuTTy to edit the file?

If you're talking about openwrt you can telnet into the router and change it. I.P. address will be 192.168.1.1

Thanks qca9558 for the reply.

Is my understanding correct:

1. Archer C7 can be flashed to WDR7500, but the WAN/LAN ports are shifted.

2. If using your OpenWRT build, we can fix this problem following your tip in Post No.38.

3. However, this tip for correction has not be tried if the Archer C7 firmware is flashed.

(If my understanding correct, there's still a risk of flashing Archer C7 firmware will end up with a shifted WAN/LAN port.... BTW, is it still possible to flash back to the original WDR7500 firmware after flashing to Archer C7 or OpenWRT? I was told some TP-Link models are quite difficult to flash back to original if a 3rd party firmware is installed.)

Thank you.

(Last edited by oneuser on 7 Jul 2013, 03:43)

qca9558 wrote:

An easy fix by changing /etc/config/network to:

config switch_vlan
      option device 'switch0'
      option vlan '1'
      option ports '0 2 3 4 5'

config switch_vlan
      option device 'switch0'
      option vlan '2'
      option ports '1 6'

I want to get my wdr7500 a second wan in order to use mwan3 to load-balance two FTTBs.But only one can dial pppoe successful with my vlan config.

config interface 'loopback'
    option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
    option ula_prefix 'fd79:4f48:6e23::/48'

config interface 'lan'
    option ifname 'eth1'
    option type 'bridge'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'
    option ip6assign '60'

config interface 'wan'
    option _orig_ifname 'eth0'
    option _orig_bridge 'false'
    option proto 'pppoe'
    USERNAME HIDDEN
    PASSWORD HIDDEN
    option ifname 'eth0.2'

config interface 'wan6'
    option ifname '@wan'
    option proto 'dhcpv6'

config switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '1'
    option ports '0 3 4 5'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '2'
    option ports '1 6t'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '3'
    option ports '2 6t'

config interface 'wan2'
    option proto 'pppoe'
    option ifname 'eth0.3'
    USERNAME HIDDEN
    PASSWORD HIDDEN

Qca9558,Could you help me get both two wans work?

(Last edited by ranfish on 8 Jul 2013, 07:26)

According to these pictures,Archer C7's port sequence is the same as wdr7500.
http://www.hkepc.com/9324

Any idea on getting anther "wan" on wdr7500?

This was easy:

* I downloaded the latest trunk http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … actory.bin
* I flashed this .bin file via the GUI of the default TP Link firmware.
* the router now had ip address 192.168.1.1. I used telnet to login (no password needed).
* edited the /etc/config/network file - see post #61
* rebooted openwrt
* connected an internet connection to the WAN port, got an ip address (ifconfig)
* run command "opkg update", then "opkg install luci"
* run command "/etc/init.d/uhttp enable", then "/etc/init.d/uhttp start"
* now you can connect to luci on "http://192.168.1.1"

tested for now, wifi 2.4Ghz works fine

Kris.Boeckx wrote:

This was easy:

* I downloaded the latest trunk http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ … actory.bin
* I flashed this .bin file via the GUI of the default TP Link firmware.
* the router now had ip address 192.168.1.1. I used telnet to login (no password needed).
* edited the /etc/config/network file - see post #61
* rebooted openwrt
* connected an internet connection to the WAN port, got an ip address (ifconfig)
* run command "opkg update", then "opkg install luci"
* run command "/etc/init.d/uhttp enable", then "/etc/init.d/uhttp start"
* now you can connect to luci on "http://192.168.1.1"

tested for now, wifi 2.4Ghz works fine

Thanks Kris.Boeckx, this works nicely.

I do have an issue with port forwarding. I added the following code to /etc/config/firewall

config redirect
        option 'name' 'port 8888->8889'
        option 'src' 'wan'
        option 'proto' 'tcpudp'
        option 'src_dport' '8888'
        option 'dest_port' '8889'
        option 'dest_ip' '192.168.0.106'

config redirect
        option 'name' 'port 5006'
        option 'src' 'wan'
        option 'proto' 'tcpudp'
        option 'src_dport' '5006'
        option 'dest_port' '5006'
        option 'dest_ip' '192.168.0.104' 

config redirect
        option 'name' 'port 32400'
        option 'src' 'wan'
        option 'proto' 'tcpudp'
        option 'src_dport' '32400'
        option 'dest_port' '32400'
        option 'dest_ip' '192.168.0.102' 

The port forward for port 5006 works, but the other two don't. Do you use port forwarding and can you confirm that it does work?

Cheers,

jayrock

EDIT: My mistake, sorry. The said clients still had the old router IP set as default gateway. Fixed that. Now working fine.

(Last edited by jayrock on 16 Jul 2013, 00:51)

I'm about to install the C7 (v1) version of this router on my network, and I'll be using the method in post 63. Just wanted to confirm a couple things. Since I'm already using the C7 hardware, i shouldnt need to remap the ports, right?

should I use the main trunk or the one posted in this thread?

I used the trunk when I installed, by that time it was OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r37268 / LuCI Trunk (svn-r9868).

With this build, remapping was still required.

When I try to use the method in post 63 to flash my tl-wdr7500 I get the error code 18005 "Upload file version does not match with the models." Is there any way around this?

jayrock wrote:

I used the trunk when I installed, by that time it was OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r37268 / LuCI Trunk (svn-r9868).

With this build, remapping was still required.

The remapping was required on the WDR7500 you have right? I'm planning on loading this onto my Archer C7 which is what the firmware was originally designed for afaik. I shouldn't need to re-map with the C7 hardware correct?

ok update:

Installed trunk to the Archer C7, booted up perfectly with no issues, even grabbed WAN off the proper port.

Also in your instructions in post 63 there was an error. It's supposed to be /etc/init.d/uhttpd

(Last edited by pyr0ball on 24 Jul 2013, 03:40)

awrite, got the Archer C7 completely flashed with the newest Barrier Breaker r37514, loaded using the TP-Link firmware update via web interface. Super easy.

everything is all configured and working perfectly!

Now the trick will be getting Ath10k so I can have the WifiAC radio back

qca9558 wrote:

I've opened a ticket to get them supported at https://dev.openwrt.org/ticket/13704

Refering to the comments on this ticket: I'm not really familiar with OpenWrt's patch policy. What exactly needs to happen now for OpenWrt to support 5GHz on the Archer C7?

Cheers,
jayrock

- wait till ath10k is stable to get enabled in openwrt build / Kernel 3.11 is released
(ath10k mailing list encourages testing on their git instead of mainline; source

btw - is there a way to know the hardware revision of the 5GHz card from normal bootlog?

ath10k will not support hw1.0
see upstream announce: http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/ath10k/2013-July/000021.html

Thanks zloop.

ath10k will not support hw1.0

Are you referring to the 5 GHz PCIe card or to the Archer C7 product? The announcement talks about the chipset revision (I assume). I'm not certain wich version of the QCA9558 I have. The sticker on my Archer C7 says HW1.0 and I assume that this is this is the overall HW revision of the router product rather than the revision of the 5 GHz module only.

lspci gives this:

root@OpenWrt:~# lspci -v
01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Device 003c
        Subsystem: Atheros Communications Inc. Device 3223
        Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 41
        Memory at 12000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=2M]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at 12200000 [disabled] [size=64K]
        Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
        Capabilities: [50] MSI: Enable- Count=1/16 Maskable+ 64bit-
        Capabilities: [70] Express Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [140] Virtual Channel
        Capabilities: [160] Device Serial Number 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

Can you clarify? If there's no hope for 5 GHz to ever be supported with OpenWrt I might as well go back to the stock firmware.

Cheers,
jayrock

jayrock wrote:

Are you referring to the 5 GHz PCIe card or to the Archer C7 product? The announcement talks about the chipset revision (I assume). I'm not certain wich version of the QCA9558 I have. The sticker on my Archer C7 says HW1.0 and I assume that this is this is the overall HW revision of the router product rather than the revision of the 5 GHz module only.

lspci gives this:

root@OpenWrt:~# lspci -v
01:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Device 003c

You are correct. I was referring to the revision of the 5GHz PCIe card.

According to your lspci those cards should be supported by ath10k. 003c is found in source code.

#define QCA988X_1_0_DEVICE_ID (0xabcd)
#define QCA988X_2_0_DEVICE_ID (0x003c)

in: https://github.com/kvalo/ath/blob/master/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath10k/pci.c

(Last edited by zloop on 25 Jul 2013, 16:55)

Hmm? I thought the mailing list said 1.0 will not be supported?
By 1.0 shouldn't it be refering to this?
#define QCA988X_1_0_DEVICE_ID (0xabcd)