OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: TP-Link TL-WR841N v8.4 Bricked

The content of this topic has been archived on 2 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hi
I bought a WR841 and flashed it with OpenWRT SquashFS. I then decided I would rather stick with the original firmware, so downloaded it from the DD-WRT forums (it was the first place I could find it).

I performed this operation using WinSCP and telnet but I think I may have either used an incorrect image or power cycled the device too early.

Currently the router will power on like this:
Power LED On -> All LEDs On -> All but Power LED Off
So it ends up with only the power LED on. Is it possible to recover the router from this state? I attempted resetting it by connecting to the WAN socket and rapidly pressing the reset button, but this didn't do much.

Is it possible to restore the device using serial? I know there are guides but I don't want to spend any more money buying serial cables if it won't work anyway.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Access via serial port is the only guaranteed method to bring your router back to life

You will need a RS232 or USB to TTL adapter

Full doc here http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr841nd)

(Last edited by electrician on 1 Aug 2013, 01:33)

Just got back from holiday and my DKU-5 cable has arrived. Just cut it and only found 3 wires - yellow, white, and green. I don't have a multimeter so I am unable to check voltages. Is there a known layout for this set of 3 wires?

Ok, well through trial and error I found green was GND, yellow is connected to router's Tx and white is router's Rx. Got connected through PuTTY and received expected messages. Now onto recovering firmware!

Well I was unable to setup the TFTP server properly. Could someone guide me through how to do this? Which ethernet port should I use on the router? How should I set the network adapter settings in Windows?

Thanks.

Bump, still got a bricked router sitting here and can't figure out the correct setup for a TFTP server (which ethernet port to use, Windows network setting etc.)

HI Guys,

I just got here from Google trying to figure out how to unbrick my wr841n v8.4 TP link router.
I wanted to try openwrt and was uninstalling dd-wrt. Thing is, I tried to first get back to original stockfirmware from dd-wrt. After rebooting the router, I was still able to see dd-wrt on the router. Much to no success, I decided to follow a guide to uninstall dd-wrt through winscp but got the MTD error and boom! Bricked my router sad

Anyway, I have this wire lying with me http://www.ebay.in/itm/CP2102-USB-2-0-t … 4183d5a7ae and thought I would be able to get into the system again.

Firstly, Is this the correct wire? Secondly, how do I get on with using these wires to get back to stock firmwarE?

Really looking forward to some help as I don't want to buy a new one.

Roady, you need usb ttl converter, so this one is OK. Read about serial console method In openwrt wiki. You need stripped firmware which you must upload through tftp server.
Googled user roypaun in dd-wrt forum. I helped him to unbrick 8.4. It his topic I uploaded firmware you need to flash.

Experimentator wrote:

Roady, you need usb ttl converter, so this one is OK. Read about serial console method In openwrt wiki. You need stripped firmware which you must upload through tftp server.
Googled user roypaun in dd-wrt forum. I helped him to unbrick 8.4. It his topic I uploaded firmware you need to flash.

Thanks for the quick revert.

There's one thing that's getting me confused - the 6 pin connector that I bought.. how do I really connect it to my router's hardware?

I mean if you look at this video, http://youtu.be/zrArf9iTMv4?t=6m36s, you'll notice the guy talks about soldering a 3 pin connector to the board. Do I have to buy this 3 pin connector separately?

Yes you must buy 3 pin connector. It is pretty cheap. Don't worry about 6 pins of your adapter.  You need only Tx, Rx, GND. connection must be Tx-Rx, Rx-Tx, GND-GND. DON'T USE OTHER PINS ! In my experience with V8 you don't need to solder. Just touch the pin connector to router's pins and you will be OK.

Did you damage router's plastic when you open it ?

My Tplink841n v9 is bricked and LED's are flashing ....Tried to flash via COM but there is no response...Please tell me what to do.

Email:topufahim@yahoo.com

The discussion might have continued from here.