OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Flyashi 2.6 Images & USB Root Drive

The content of this topic has been archived on 24 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Flyashi:

Was wondering if these improvements have been made on your latest images?

scsi general module:

CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m

the diag package to get reset button working which should be in:

/target/linux/package/diag

Also, having a problem with your 2.6 image for wrt54g/gs images.  The power light continues flashing indefinitely, and hitting reset button for boot_wait doesn't seem to have any effect.

Has anyone verified success of your 2.6 images for wrt54g/gs?

Also, I updated the wgt634u section:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/OpenWrtDocs/Har … 4U#preview

to include a script and howto in order to use usb drive as root to pivot_root  when using your default 2.6 images for wgt634u which is a  less heavily involved alternative to creating a custom image with custom bootline.

Found in target/linux/brcm-2.6/config:

#
# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=m
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST is not set
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_OSST is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR is not set
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG is not set
# CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SCH is not set

I added the line you requested.

Regarding the diag package, well, it's there. What more do you want? I'm looking for it in the config files, also having trouble finding it. If I find it, I'll put it in.

- Yasha

P.S. Should the CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m be =y for the USB images, or just leave it as =m? I never had problems with USB...

flyashi wrote:

Regarding the diag package, well, it's there. What more do you want? I'm looking for it in the config files, also having trouble finding it. If I find it, I'll put it in.

Do your images have the diag.ko module in the default image then?   Last i recall, the insmod diag.ko in /etc/preinit was choking.

flyashi wrote:

P.S. Should the CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m be =y for the USB images, or just leave it as =m? I never had problems with USB...

Definitely compile it in if you're working on custom image that uses usb as root.  However, for default image or if just utilizing my script that remounts usb afterwards as root drive, just as a module is fine.

Actually, scratch what i said about diag.ko.  MBM just informed me that even if diag.ko were loaded it wouldn't do anything. sad

Oh, and you also need to add these compile time config options to make the usb config you have on your website legit:

BR2_PACKAGE_CIFSMOUNT=y
BR2_PACKAGE_DOSFSTOOLS=y
BR2_PACKAGE_E2FSPROGS=y
BR2_TARGET_ROOTFS_JFFS2=y
BR2_PACKAGE_KMOD_FS_CIFS=y
BR2_PACKAGE_KMOD_FS_EXT2=y
BR2_PACKAGE_KMOD_FS_EXT3=y
BR2_PACKAGE_KMOD_FS_NFS=y
BR2_PACKAGE_KMOD_FS_VFAT=y

Sorry to forget to include them the first time around.

I also noticed that from your more recent configs you've removed many of the busybox utility options altogether, and was hoping you could add some back that were rather essential.  IMHO some key elements that would be very nice to have:

BUSYBOX_CONFIG_STTY=y
BUSYBOX_CONFIG_TTY=y
BUSYBOX_CONFIG_GETTY=y

Very nice to be able to specify columns, rows, and have access to the line paramaters.  smile  Also, nice to be able to stick a getty on the serial line.

BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FEATURE_MTAB_SUPPORT=y

For whatever reason /proc/mounts seems hosey, so i'm hoping the above option will improve providing an accurate picture of live mounts.

Out of convenience it would be nice to have these two additional utilities as default:

BUSYBOX_CONFIG_MODPROBE=y
BUSYBOX_CONFIG_FDISK=y

For usb drive users, these utilities are imperative since 32 megs doesn't go very far on a storage router and swap space can become key:

BUSYBOX_CONFIG_MKSWAP=y
BUSYBOX_CONFIG_SWAPONOFF=y

'y' since it's all or nothing when it comes to busybox options.

Thanks again yasha!

Oh and don't forget the post your configs!  wink

(Last edited by Ydef on 1 Mar 2006, 09:35)

The discussion might have continued from here.