OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: a special 703n clone: GL-iNet (more storage and internal serial pins)

The content of this topic has been archived between 20 Jun 2017 and 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

etan wrote:

:-(
bought it few weeks ago, is there way to replace for newer model?
and how to recognize new model from outside?

... Then there is a good chance that you have the newer version!

You can dump the ART partition with dd and pipe to od to check if you have the exact same content as above: if yes, you have the old model, if not, it is the newest.

etan wrote:

how you know it is 30%? they do not say on website.

The chips require a +3.3V power supply and draw ~0.5W (3.3 V * 150 mA), whereas the router gets +5V from the microUSB cable. You need to down-convert the +5V to +3.3V, and you have basically 2 ways to do it:

• use a linear Low-Drop-Out (LDO) that will dissipate the (5 - 3.3V) * 150 mA = 0.255 W in heating the birds, or ~30% of the 0.255 + 0.5 = 0.755 W total. This is what the old model does

• use a step-down DC/DC voltage converter that will "slice" the input voltage and feed an inductor that will act as a power reservoir, in which the output voltage is taken, with a global efficiency > 80%. This is what the newest model does

Thus my 30% above, which is not far from reality.

etan wrote:

anybody know how much electricity dir-505 draws?
still less than newer gl-inet?
please it is important electricity is really expensive where i live!

The DIR-505 uses the same low-power AR9331 WiSoC, so you can expect the same power consumption as the GL.iNet router, but be careful that each connected Ethernet link will draw power.

We are speaking of 0.5 W here, so if the router runs all day, it will be like turning on an 25 W energy efficient bulb for 1/2h/day...

(Last edited by Squonk on 18 Aug 2014, 08:37)

thank you Squonk  i presume you meant hexdump from your march 28th post.
I noticed my model gets little warm, could be this other way to tell models apart i mean if i have old model and new model does not get warm.
I saved like almost 50% energy bill by replacing two big linksys routers with wr703n!

Maybe, I don't remember if I used od, hexdump or Emacs hexl-mode for that.

Check the ART partition, you will be 100% then. But you are right: if it gets warm, it is probably an LDO one:(

I can certainly understand that there is a huge difference between Linksys and WR703N!

Has anyone with a GL-Inet tried any of the pre-built images?

http://downloads.openwrt.org/barrier_br … pgrade.bin

I'm having trouble successfully building working images at all and the fact I can't get the pre-built one above working points to an issue with the source (or my device). I can flash other images I've found such as the pre-built one on the GL-Inet site.

(Last edited by sgsltd on 26 Aug 2014, 16:30)

Thanks for letting me know.

Do you have the new revision mentioned at the top of this page?

I do and it bricks mine every time (as do all builds made with the GL-Inet option in menuconfig). I've now managed to build a few images based on a modified 720nv3 config so it looks like my device is ok.

If anyone here has the new rev. would you mind giving the image above a try?

This is one magnificent little box...

edit: power consumption is ~0,5-1W. How can i verify if i have the updated version?

(Last edited by kinski on 27 Aug 2014, 16:16)

I built a little test board for the GPIOs for the GL-iNet--3 inputs (19, 20, 22) and one output to an LED (21).  I didn't hook up 18.  I used the 3V power from the GL-iNet board through 1K resistors to on/off switches, and 10K pull-downs to 0V.

Before testing, I did a sysupgrade from the original firmware to current trunk--r42452. 

I ran the following code to test the output. 

echo 21 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo out > /sys/class/gpio/gpio21/direction
echo 1 > /sys/devices/virtual/gpio/gpio21/value
echo 0 > /sys/devices/virtual/gpio/gpio21/value

The led went on, then off (I paused before running the last command).

Then I ran the following to set up the inputs:

echo 19 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo in > /sys/class/gpio/gpio19/direction
echo 22 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo in > /sys/class/gpio/gpio22/direction
echo 20 > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo in > /sys/class/gpio/gpio20/direction

Then the following for each of the inputs provided a result of "0" or "1" depending on the switch position.

cat /sys/class/gpio/gpio19/value

I noticed that the file /etc/config/glconfig contains my password in plain text.  Does anyone know what this file is supposed to do, or if there is any harm in deleting the file or the section containing the password.

This code will test the value of an input:

val=`cat /sys/class/gpio/gpio19/value`
echo $val
if [ "$val" = "1" ]; then
  echo gpio19 on
else
  echo gpio19 off
fi

Note that the gpio port setups (number and direction) should be included in the /etc/rc.local file.

lizby wrote:

I noticed that the file /etc/config/glconfig contains my password in plain text.  Does anyone know what this file is supposed to do, or if there is any harm in deleting the file or the section containing the password.

That is used for your web admin login. If you delete, you cannot login the webpage.
Of course that password can be encrypted using md5, sh1 etc. But you have plan password for the wifi key anyway.

adawg89 wrote:

Just curious can you do the web interface flash or does it need to be serial flash?

It doesn't have to be serial--sysupgrade from the command line works (so I would assume that the web flash works).

lizby wrote:
adawg89 wrote:

Just curious can you do the web interface flash or does it need to be serial flash?

It doesn't have to be serial--sysupgrade from the command line works (so I would assume that the web flash works).

I have couple more questions is there a different way to get in contact with you?

Edit;

Ok, so, it does come with 703n out of the box, ok make sense when you said "command line works" I am familiar with command line.

(Last edited by adawg89 on 28 Sep 2014, 20:56)

adawg89 wrote:

I have couple more questions is there a different way to get in contact with you?

I always think it best to ask questions through the forum.  That way, others with more knowledge may answer, and everyone can benefit from the answers.

It comes with openWrt installed.  WR703n is a different, similar device, on which the GPIOs are much harder to use and which has less flash.

(Last edited by lizby on 28 Sep 2014, 20:59)

lizby wrote:
adawg89 wrote:

I always think it best to ask questions through the forum.  That way, others with more knowledge may answer, and everyone can benefit from the answers.

It comes with openWrt installed.  WR703n is a different, similar device, on which the GPIOs are much harder to use and which has less flash.

It was more of a personal thing. Before I bought one, I wanted to see how much memory (ram) tor-alpha consumed? Since my 32 mb barely make it, and some times reboot when tor takes all the memory. I wanted to see if it would consume all the memory on the 64mb or not.

Also see how mjpg-streamer performs on it, too.

If anyone is able to be kind enough to test, and see that would be great.

Sorry, don't know anything about tor.  mjpg-streamer works fine on 32MB devices in my experience, so I wouldn't expect a problem.

my gl.inet arrived finally, it has 64mb ram and 16mb flash
updated to BB RC3, then manually installed the pOrtal scripts
finally a mini router running tor.
i have not compared the ART partition

mine already has an antenna connector soldered on board, even smaller than my ipx connector
what is this connectors name?

my glinet

(Last edited by gon42 on 12 Oct 2014, 11:23)

@gon42: Please read Squonk's announcement about the new hareware revision:

Important:: the RF connector on the PCB is not an U-FL connector for connecting an SMA pigtail antenna, but it is a misleading similar-looking RF switch used during factory RF calibration.

I guess the connector you found on your deveice is the aforementioned RF switch?

I have an own question too: I recently got a GL-iNet to replace my MR3020, as it has more RAM + bigger internal storage. Everything works as expected (using trunk from 10/08 on the device), but I run into one problem: I want to reuse the reset button and can't get it to work. I followed the wiki-article about hardware-buttons, but openwrt keeps rebooting, once the reset buttons is pressed. I noticed that the /etc/hotplug2.rules file doesn't exist, but creating it doesn't change the behaviour.
This is what logread -f puts out, when the reset button is pressed:

un Oct 12 15:24:16 2014 user.notice root: reset
Sun Oct 12 15:24:16 2014 user.notice root: pressed
Sun Oct 12 15:24:17 2014 user.notice root: reset pressed for 0 seconds
Sun Oct 12 15:24:17 2014 user.emerg syslog: - shutdown -
Sun Oct 12 15:24:17 2014 user.notice root: reset
Sun Oct 12 15:24:17 2014 user.notice root: released
Sun Oct 12 15:24:17 2014 authpriv.info dropbear[944]: Early exit: Terminated by signal

So can you please help me?

ichoderich wrote:

@gon42: Please read Squonk's announcement about the new hareware revision:

Important:: the RF connector on the PCB is not an U-FL connector for connecting an SMA pigtail antenna, but it is a misleading similar-looking RF switch used during factory RF calibration.

I guess the connector you found on your deveice is the aforementioned RF switch?

Looks like it.

Another question:
Is it possible to add LEDs to the GPIOs and configure these LEDs in LUCi?

Please check this IPX/UFL antenna mod for the first (not individually calibrated) version:
http://shiki.tk/?p=2940

If you want to put an IPX/UFL connector on the newer version, you will have to replace the existing calibration RF switch and may have to cut the PCB antenna feed trace where it is marked "R76".

(Last edited by Squonk on 15 Oct 2014, 07:05)

Hi, I need help setting up this router with a 4G modem hi-link. Works like dchp but does not work with any interface, although the model 3227 modem huawi behaves as connected (LED lights). any solution?