OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Clients can't see peers on network

The content of this topic has been archived on 19 Apr 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

So I have a TP-Link850RE range extender with OpenWRT on it. I have it up and running connected to my Linksys AP. It works connecting from the a client (laptop connected to TP-Link) through the AP to the internet. But I can't see other computers connected to the AP directly. I've set it up using this video since I use the LUCI GUI and not config editing.

But then I've had trouble making it a "dumb AP" by turning off the DHCP and firewall to make it a transparent pass through...which is what I assume I need to do to get the clients connected to the TP-Link integrate with the main AP network.

Any suggestions on how via the LUCI GUI to make it a dumb AP?  I've edited the LAN profile to turn of DHCP and Firewall and un-set the checkbox for the "Authoritative DHCP" .

Thanks.
Tried changing the AP connect to a WDS client. That seems to drop the connection to the main AP. not sure my TP-Link chipset can handle WDS. Looks like broadcom's is the only one that works according to that post above. Mine is Atheros. I'll keep poking around.

What linksys router do you have?

(Last edited by FriedZombie on 6 Jan 2014, 07:13)

Main AP router is actually a Cisco Valet M20. Forgot it was branded Cisco after they bought Linksys.

beprahst wrote:

not sure my TP-Link chipset can handle WDS. Looks like broadcom's is the only one that works according to that post above.

WDS is a software based not hardware based, so it is not bound to a specific chipset.
But your cisco router, according to the manual doesn't support wds, because for wds to function you need an wds access point (main router/ap) and a wds client.

But the question at this point is how badly do you need the clients from both ap's to see eachother, because there are a few solutions.

Also do you have access to the the admin page of the linksys? and what would the end goal be?

I access files from a desktop upstairs on a laptop which would be attached to the range extender. Also my phone apps accessing Apple TV and DirectTV have to be on the "same network". By admin page I assume the management console via 192.168.1.1 login. Yes, it's mine and I set it up.

beprahst wrote:

I access files from a desktop upstairs on a laptop which would be attached to the range extender. Also my phone apps accessing Apple TV and DirectTV have to be on the "same network". By admin page I assume the management console via 192.168.1.1 login. Yes, it's mine and I set it up.

Well there are four solutions you can pick from then:

1. Connect the ap via ethernet wire to the main ap/accesspoint and eliminate the whole issue alltogether, so you don't have to bridge anything via wifi

2. Buy a new main ap/router that supports wds or port openwrt to the current ap you have/ find firmware for the device that supports wds (I couldn't find any).
    The obvious drawback it will cost time or money

3. Have two network segments (two ip ranges), systems on both segments can see each other and connect to eachother.
    The drawback is that upnp and multicast doesn't traverse between the segments

4. Have firmware for the router that supports arpnat, huge drawback is that it takes a lot of cpu for the device to run the modified ebtables. Since you do have a few devices connecting to the wa850, I don't think it is a good idea (also the default firmware does this if wds isn't used)
    However due to popular demand, I will make a build with the modified ebtables on board.

(Last edited by FriedZombie on 7 Jan 2014, 16:53)

Thanks much for the great/informative summary. It would have taken me a ton of research to figure all that out!

So in the end, my dad had an extra Cisco M10 he wasn't using. I did have a hard-wired Ethernet port in a decent location so I hard wired the extra router and setup as an extender. So this also allows full speed over wifi versus the half-speed with the wifi-based extender. And I don't lose any functionality. I set it to the same SSID on a different channel and seems to work really well and is stable. I could never get the TP-Link stable with the same SSID.

Luckily my home builder pulled cat5 for the phone jacks and used only two of the wires for phone. I converted the jacks to Ethernet outlets and put a switch on the home run point to connect them all.

Thanks much!

You could also use the wa850 instead of the cisco m10 to do the same thing: http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/recipes/dumbap
You only have eth0 for a wired interface otherwise steps are the same.

The benefit of using the wa850, it looks nicer smile (and you don't have a separate adapter.

Also setting the same ssid/encryption if the same ip range is used works fine as well with the wa850. I have a lot of them running by now in various networks with openwrt tongue

And glad I could help

FriedZombie wrote:

I don't think it is a good idea (also the default firmware does this if wds isn't used)
However due to popular demand, I will make a build with the modified ebtables on board.

i bet you already know, however there is gargoyle firmware available wink

nebbia88 wrote:

there is gargoyle firmware available wink

Yeah I know, that's where I got the patches from.

(Last edited by FriedZombie on 8 Jan 2014, 01:14)

The discussion might have continued from here.