OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Ideas for the Secure Easy button

The content of this topic has been archived on 13 Mar 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

After i´ve flashed the openWrt i noticed that the cisco button on my v4 wrt54gs wasn´t been used for nothing, so i had some ideas for the developers: why not assign to the cisco logo button a script, ie: if you hit the button, the wrt unit send a magic packet for every mac adresses in a list. ex: waking up all computers in a network at once, or if you hold the button for, lets say, 2 seconds the unit boots.
Another good idea is the unit make periodically tests on the internet, if the internet is working properly the cisco logo goes white, if not, goes yellow, if the unit is authenticating a pppoe session it blinks. The button is a valuable help in diagnostic and could help easing some processes.

I would like to congratulate the people behind the development of this great firmware, you´re doing a great job. smile

IANAD, but recent pre-RC5 builds include a /proc/sys/button and /proc/sys/diag interface.  There is nothing stopping you from writing your own code to do whatever you want with this button.

I wrote a quick and UGLY hack in shell, in this thread back in the .... ahem... General forum:

http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=4796

(Last edited by vincentfox on 15 Mar 2006, 19:32)

Hehehe, i could develop it, but i have to learn how to do that first... smile
I am not very experienced with linux, i can change the files, i understand the concepts, i saw your post, but the command echo 37 or echo 4 or echo 1 dont correspond, echo 4 makes the power led to blink, echo 1 makes the dmz light on, SES button didnt had any light at all... sad
perhaps you could help me? smile

(Last edited by luis on 15 Mar 2006, 20:00)

Well I assume the hardware differs from one model to the next.

I'll add some info to that thread.

The discussion might have continued from here.