OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Compiled Firmware for Netgear WNDR4300

The content of this topic has been archived between 17 Apr 2018 and 7 May 2018. There are no obvious gaps in this topic, but there may still be some posts missing at the end.

Hello,

i have buy a Netgear WNDR4300 and i will use the OpenWRT firmware.

But i can't find a compiled firmware (eg. openwrt____.img(the openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wndr3700v2-squashfs-factory doesn't work))

Is there a compiled image, i must i create self a firmware for the new router.

And then i must creating self, is there a good tutorial for compiling the firmware.


Best regards,
matze

(Last edited by DerMatze on 24 Feb 2014, 18:21)

After searching for a precompiled image for a while, I gave up and built an image from the Barrier Breaker r39775 buildroot.
It works flawlessly on my WNDR4300, you can flash it from the stock Netgear web interface.

As far as I know it only has one issue, I can't seem to install the ext4 kernel module (kmod-fs-ext4), it gives a kernel warning:
kern.warn kernel: [  275.260000] ext4: Unknown symbol __blockdev_direct_IO (err 0)

I looked around in /proc/kallsyms, __blockdev_direct_IO does indeed not exist.
There's a symbol called blkdev_direct_IO, does it do the same?

Anyways, you can download the .img here. It comes with LuCI preinstalled.

Have fun with OpenWRT.

Cryo wrote:

After searching for a precompiled image for a while, I gave up and built an image from the Barrier Breaker r39775 buildroot.
It works flawlessly on my WNDR4300, you can flash it from the stock Netgear web interface.

I would LOVE to know how you got that image to retain settings after rebooting the router; anything I have tried to build works, but when you reboot, the settings are all lost.  The only setting that seems to ever stick is the root password.

I tried copying your package selections down to the letter and it still did not retain settings using the trunk barrier breaker 40015.  So it is time to ask...how did you do it!

Thanks

AdamK wrote:
Cryo wrote:

After searching for a precompiled image for a while, I gave up and built an image from the Barrier Breaker r39775 buildroot.
It works flawlessly on my WNDR4300, you can flash it from the stock Netgear web interface.

I would LOVE to know how you got that image to retain settings after rebooting the router; anything I have tried to build works, but when you reboot, the settings are all lost.  The only setting that seems to ever stick is the root password.

I tried copying your package selections down to the letter and it still did not retain settings using the trunk barrier breaker 40015.  So it is time to ask...how did you do it!

Thanks

Did you select the target profile for the WNDR4300? It's doesn't show by default. To make it visible in your menuconfig:

1) nano (or vi or whatever) target/linux/ar71xx/nand/target.mk
2) edit line 2 to read FEATURES += squashfs
3) ./scripts/feeds install -a

I selected it via menuconfig after choosing the developer option to show broken packages/platforms.
I can select the platform fine, it compiles fine, it flashes fine, just whenever I reboot the router or power cycle it, the settings are all lost.

(Last edited by AdamK on 26 Mar 2014, 14:06)

Cryo wrote:

Did you select the target profile for the WNDR4300? It's doesn't show by default. To make it visible in your menuconfig:

1) nano (or vi or whatever) target/linux/ar71xx/nand/target.mk
2) edit line 2 to read FEATURES += squashfs
3) ./scripts/feeds install -a

Just as a double check I followed your 3 steps above using trunk r40022 and the problem is still there.  I suspect that the OpenWRT dev's made a boo-boo?

I posted a stack of info here https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php … 34#p228534

Compiled against r39000 of the trunk and all settings are retained after a reboot.
So it seems that something has gone awry between 39000 and current trunk versions.

I'll give the latest snapshot a try tomorrow, I'll post my findings here.

Worked with trunk r39500 as well, so am working my way up, will try r39750 next.
Looks to be a semi recent change that's broken it.

There can i find the trunks to download, i will flash my WNDR4300 with OpenWRT but can't find any downloadable firmare hmm

I'm actually building a new image now, based on trunk revision 40387 and an improvement on the packages included in the build.  Will post a link once the build is finished.
With some help from others on the forums here, we've overcome the settings being lost when rebooting or power cycling the router.

(Last edited by AdamK on 5 Apr 2014, 23:03)

You have flashed with this file, or habe built a image with this file?

And the problem, that the router not save's the settings is not solved?

(Last edited by DerMatze on 6 Apr 2014, 21:22)

I built the image, and I have flashed it onto my WNDR4300

It retains the settings (it is now fixed in Barrier Breaker trunk).  It appears stable, and should have most if not all the features one would ask for.  You will need to flash the image either via TFTP or via the Netgear stock firmware.

The only issue left is the LED's but you can configure these by hand after flashing the image.

How i build a image by a windows 8 system?

You don't.
I make mine using an Ubuntu server I own.

Then i can't build a own image sad

Cryo wrote:

After searching for a precompiled image for a while, I gave up and built an image from the Barrier Breaker r39775 buildroot.
It works flawlessly on my WNDR4300, you can flash it from the stock Netgear web interface.

As far as I know it only has one issue, I can't seem to install the ext4 kernel module (kmod-fs-ext4), it gives a kernel warning:
kern.warn kernel: [  275.260000] ext4: Unknown symbol __blockdev_direct_IO (err 0)

I looked around in /proc/kallsyms, __blockdev_direct_IO does indeed not exist.
There's a symbol called blkdev_direct_IO, does it do the same?

Anyways, you can download the .img here. It comes with LuCI preinstalled.

Have fun with OpenWRT.

Did you ever get to the bottom of the __blockdev_direct_IO problem?

DerMatze wrote:

Then i can't build a own image sad

use VMWare in Win8 and install Debian6 on a virtual machine

works nice

regards
3zl

(Last edited by 3zl on 18 Apr 2014, 17:00)

Save the image the settings after a reboot or power failure?

I actually blocked an IP address from the Norway area last night; seems they decided that downloading the entire repository of images was a good idea.

Please do not waste my bandwidth folks, if there's an image on there you can use great, help yourself, but don't download the whole directory just because it is something to download.

Adam, save your image the settings after a power failure or a reboot?