OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Beep Beep billy..  (do ya wanna balloon)

Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless AC Dual Band Router AC1900 PreOrder (Latest Model)
amazon unavailable
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IGL3L2E?tag=wiki085-20

(Last edited by gufus on 11 May 2015, 22:17)

unit 1:

Firmware Version OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r45595 / LuCI (git-15.118.50175-36879e9) 
Kernel Version 3.18.11
Local Time Mon May 11 17:32:02 2015
Uptime 7d 0h 52m 8s
Load Average 0.00, 0.01, 0.05

unit 2 (running stock fw in wireless bridge mode):

UpTime:
21:30:38 up 26 days,  5:04, load average: 1.24, 1.25, 1.24

Firmware Version: 1.1.8.164461
Firmware Builddate: 2014-11-20 19:26

just curious as to what people have set their dhcp server lease time to?

With the default of 24h I used to have many more of these lock-ups....  so I set it for 72h....  may be worth a try....

Cheers

tusc wrote:

Chad,

I would give one of the 4.x images a spin as I have not had any lockups since switching over from 3.18

Just FYI. It seems I never had lockup when using 3.18 from my memory but I experienced first lockup with 4.01 yesterday.

lifehacksback wrote:
tusc wrote:

Chad,

I would give one of the 4.x images a spin as I have not had any lockups since switching over from 3.18

@tusc

Kernel 4.0 has (at lease for me) been more stable than 4.0.1. I rolled back to a previous build (4.0.0-rc7) and it has been 99% reliable with small hiccups that do not require reboots just patience. While 4.0.1 has been better when it comes to lock ups compared to 3.18.11 it still suffers from them and hard reboots are required. Just my 2 cents on the issue. I'm not sure if it is the wireless driver or the kernel but during hiccups i encountered there were logs that referenced nftables and some problem with odhcp reassignment (another problem i've been experiencing is clients dc then reconnect).

I'll have ample time this week so i could test builds or record logs.

PS: When the router locked up i tried using the tty connection but it would not connect. so the usb is active, screen opens a terminal, but the terminal is empty and pressing enter or any other keys does nothing.

All the best,

lifehacksback

@lifehacksback,

I just experienced my first lockup with 4.0.1 ironically this evening. I couldn't troubleshoot it as I am on the road and only found out when I got a call from my wife that the Internet was down. I have to agree with what you have said and plan to back to 4.0.

(Last edited by tusc on 12 May 2015, 00:41)

Firmware Version    OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r45621 / LuCI (git-15.126.50433-a708378)
Kernel Version    3.18.11
Local Time    Tue May 12 00:12:31 2015
Uptime    3d 2h 44m 6s
Load Average    0.01, 0.03, 0.05

No issues for me, but I have been updating on a fairly regular basis. 

Mine is running in wired bridge mode with DHCP turned off.  Just adding to what @doITright said if that matters.
@lifehacksback  your image that is linked on the WIKI.  Has that changed?  Just wondering as the 4.0 version you had linked in April was the most stable for me.  I believe I went at least 16 days without restarting. --but, I thought you said in another post right after that you switched back to 3.18, but who knows, this topic is hard to follow.

Question for you all.
Has anyone set up guest wifi on OpenWrt, on our router?
I've got things all set up so that wired and wifi hosts/clients (both 2.4Ghz & 5ghz), can all see each other (on the 192.168.1.x subnet), and have access to the internet connection.  It's all working perfectly.

I would now like to configure a second SSID on the 2.4Ghz radio to allow guests access to the internet (via the same internet connection as above).  However, I do not want guests to be able to see any of the hosts on the 192.168.1.x subnet.

I was thinking I would set up the guest wifi network on a 192.168.2.x subnet.  But, can't quite work out the related configs to make it all work.  Has anyone done something like this?  Could you please share your /etc/config files?

New WiFi driver on github

Just shy of 8 days on r45595 and it hangs out of the blue...  oh well, here we go again

Firmware Version OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r45674 / LuCI (git-15.128.67453-cc99288) 
Kernel Version 3.18.11
Local Time Tue May 12 13:35:15 2015
Uptime 0h 1m 56s
Load Average 0.24, 0.16, 0.06

Cheers

doITright wrote:

Just shy of 8 days on r45595 and it hangs out of the blue...  oh well, here we go again

Firmware Version OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r45674 / LuCI (git-15.128.67453-cc99288) 
Kernel Version 3.18.11
Local Time Tue May 12 13:35:15 2015
Uptime 0h 1m 56s
Load Average 0.24, 0.16, 0.06

Cheers

Was the router COMPLEATLY dead? No access  what soever.

@gufus

yup...  hung...  all lights solid and no response to ping etc. from wired hosts...  all wireless connections dropped...  dead sad

cheers

Nihilanth wrote:

The 88W8897 wifi chip is in the WRT1200AC (I think)

gufus wrote:
Nihilanth wrote:

Mehh, had my hopes high for nothing.. smile

doITright wrote:

@gufus

yup...  hung...  all lights solid and no response to ping etc. from wired hosts...  all wireless connections dropped...  dead sad

cheers

So a cold boot (power off/on) brought it back up?

gufus wrote:
doITright wrote:

@gufus

cheers

yes...  power cycle is the only way to bring it back to life...

cheers

Nihilanth wrote:
gufus wrote:
Nihilanth wrote:

Mehh, had my hopes high for nothing.. smile

FYI
http://www.marvell.com/wireless/avastar/88W8897/

doITright wrote:
gufus wrote:
doITright wrote:

@gufus

cheers

cheers

Need access  to both System Log & Kernel Log too see whats up.

cheers

I had a problem like this, but it was proceeded by specific errors in syslog.  I now run a cron job on 5 minutes that tails syslog (and checks time) for the line rcu_sched self-detected stall on CPU { 0} and does the /sbin/reboot -f on its own.
Do you see anything suspicious in syslog (if you are logging it?)  I hunted down the original problem so it doesn't fire anymore, but still leave the cron job in place, it just in case.

(Last edited by IvanRaide on 28 May 2015, 12:41)

Built 4.0.2 and so far no hangs

Firmware Version    OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r45675 / LuCI Master (git-15.128.67453-cc99288)
Kernel Version    4.0.2
Local Time    Tue May 12 12:46:50 2015
Uptime    19h 29m 8s

IvanRaide wrote:

cheers

I had a problem like this, but it was proceeded by specific errors in syslog.  I now run a cron job on 5 minutes that tails syslog (and checks time) for the line rcu_sched self-detected stall on CPU { 0} and does the /sbin/reboot -f on its own.
Do you see anything suspicious in syslog (if you are logging it?)  I hunted down the original problem so it doesn't fire anymore, but still leave it just in case.

logread  -f tail 25  >> /etc/syslog.txt

To catch the hang

Tue May 12 14:02:48 2015 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA be:a3:86:4b:61:ee WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Tue May 12 14:02:48 2015 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA 20:aa:4b:3e:5e:39 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Tue May 12 14:05:00 2015 cron.info crond[1335]: USER root pid 25806 cmd /sbin/fan_ctrl.sh

I shut it down

Tue May 12 14:02:48 2015 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA be:a3:86:4b:61:ee WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Tue May 12 14:02:48 2015 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA 20:aa:4b:3e:5e:39 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Tue May 12 14:05:00 2015 cron.info crond[1335]: USER root pid 25806 cmd /sbin/fan_ctrl.sh
Tue May 12 14:10:00 2015 cron.info crond[1335]: USER root pid 26292 cmd /sbin/fan_ctrl.sh
Tue May 12 14:12:48 2015 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA 20:aa:4b:3e:5e:39 WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Tue May 12 14:12:48 2015 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA be:a3:86:4b:61:ee WPA: group key handshake completed (RSN)
Tue May 12 14:14:37 2015 authpriv.info dropbear[25889]: Exit (root): Exited normally

(Last edited by gufus on 12 May 2015, 21:19)

grimley wrote:
kop48 wrote:
grimley wrote:

Perhaps you can expand on that. Thanks.

Just as I was about to post my notes on interference, it tanked on me again. Twice, within minutes. Had to power cycle back. It appears there may be a second problem. To make a very long story short, I tracked the source of interference (which appeared to be jamming the router) as coming from an HDMI transmitter that I have installed nearby. I stabilized an overheating problem in the HDMI unit that caused it to scan repeatedly for frequencies and that appeared to fix things. Now I cannot explain the freezes after some 24 hours of stable operation. I can't get in via wireless or wired connection when it goes down. Windows reports the presence of a wireless signal but router / WAN are unreachable. Earlier freezes showed no indication of trouble (via Windows wireless). The most recent drops displayed the exclamation mark icon on the wireless indicator. I'm stumped.

You can't do a kernel debug over USB when it hangs?

I'm not set up for that (and time would not allow in any event) but thx.

Running Nitroshift's latest now (thank you). Will observe further.

OpenWrt Chaos Calmer r45617 / LuCI Master (git-15.125.30735-c38b4cd)
Kernel Version    4.0.1
Local Time    Sun May 10 17:42:43 2015
Uptime    4h 10m 6s

Now up for 2 days and change with Nitroshift's image (above). Not a burp.
I'm on an ambient temperature jag these days. It's been cool here. Could something be overheating?

Nihilanth wrote:

no real changes

gufus wrote:
doITright wrote:
gufus wrote:

cheers

logs are gone...  jumped to latest version of trunk after power cycle

I will try to implement some of the log scrubbing suggested by you guys

Cheers

doITright wrote:
gufus wrote:
doITright wrote:

cheers

Cheers

If you add this

to your startup, /etc/syslog.txt and it hangs, syslog.txt will be there to see whats up. Even after a cold boot.

I have it running right now, just waiting for a hang.

(Last edited by gufus on 12 May 2015, 22:13)

gufus wrote:
doITright wrote:
gufus wrote:

Cheers

If you add this

to your startup, /etc/syslog.txt and it hangs, syslog.txt will be there to see whats up. Even after a cold boot.

added/rebooted/verified

hope we get something useful

cheers

doITright wrote:
gufus wrote:
doITright wrote:

Cheers

If you add this

added/rebooted/verified

hope we get something useful

cheers

syslog.txt will keep on growing, This is just to log the hang. Delete the test afterwords.

Sorry, posts 4976 to 4975 are missing from our archive.