OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

tusc wrote:

It would be interesting to determine who is still experiencing random lockups on their wrt1900ac and if there is any correlation to whether this is happening to those of us that bought a used/refurbished model. I bought mine used on Amazon.


My refurbished is using RC3

Using username "root".
Authenticating with public key "rsa-key-20120810"


BusyBox v1.23.2 (2015-06-18 06:39:10 CEST) built-in shell (ash)

Linksys WRT1900AC (Mamba)
Security is enabled, and your IP address has been logged.

root@AC1900M:~# uptime
14:23:28 up 14 days, 20:58,  load average: 0.10, 0.04, 0.05
root@AC1900M:~#

My NEW Mamba runs fine too.

DavidMcWRT wrote:
nitroshift wrote:

@DavidMcWRT

Kaloz did push the driver to trunk soon after getting it from Marvell. As for CC, it will be there in RC4 / final release because RC3 was built before Marvell released the driver update.

nitroshift

I was referring to the patch to remove the extra debug information, which to my knowledge hasn't been pushed to trunk/CC yet:

https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/commit … 0bd48f4759

Yep...

Your right

This is the last trunk commit
https://dev.openwrt.org/changeset/46521

(Last edited by gufus on 11 Aug 2015, 23:50)

I've been running RC3 and the new wifi drivers, and Zero lock-ups.  I consider RC3 Stable.

Not to say others won't have lock-ups, but I've had my fair share, and it seems a thing of the past for me smile Couldn't be happier.

tusc wrote:

It would be interesting to determine who is still experiencing random lockups on their wrt1900ac and if there is any correlation to whether this is happening to those of us that bought a used/refurbished model. I bought mine used on Amazon.

I am still experiencing lockups with all CC versions including the latest trunk release. At this point my 1900 is offline until this is resolved. It's interesting to see that issue #21 has yet to be addressed. Could I have a bad router with a "flaky" CPU? Was there a problem during the binning process? Are there any V2 owners experiencing this issue?? How do you claim a warranty repair in this case?

Your post is very interesting. Most used and refurbished routers likely came from an earlier batches.

Months ago I suggested that there might be an issue with some of the hardware builds and was accused of picking on Linksys (Belkin) with no proof.

1. No manufacturer makes every device it sells all at once; they are built in batches.
2. Batches can be built by several assembly companies.
3. Except for key components; cpu and chipset; almost every other item, including memory, other ic's, resistors and capacitors could be different from batch to batch.
4. The batch difference could even be the PCB for the same circuit.
5. It is not uncommon to change components and end up with unforeseen timing issues.
6. There have been issues where a pick & place robot assembler was loaded with the wrong value of a pull-up resistor. The wrong resistor didn't kill the circuit; was marginal and made some boards flakey. This is from personal experience at a company where I worked.

CPU's and Chipsets are also built in batches and are not all the same.  Ask Intel why it has a small amount of memory for microcode updates so as not having to recall millions of chips.

IS there a way to read the build level of the board without opening up the device?
Would logging the serial numbers of the successes and failures indicate a hardware problem?

IF a hardware problem exists; Linksys (Belkin) may be covering it up OR the may not even know it exists.

Rick

RickStep wrote:

CPU's and Chipsets are also built in batches and are not all the same.  Ask Intel why it has a small amount of memory for microcode updates so as not having to recall millions of chips.

IS there a way to read the build level of the board without opening up the device?
Would logging the serial numbers of the successes and failures indicate a hardware problem?

IF a hardware problem exists; Linksys (Belkin) may be covering it up OR the may not even know it exists.

Rick

i trust manufacturers as much as i trust a thief or a criminal for that fact;
for me there is absolutely no doubt that the industry is covering up and sells a folty product as long as manufacturer makes a buck

Refurbished=Customer Returns

(Last edited by davidc502 on 12 Aug 2015, 03:25)

tusc wrote:

It would be interesting to determine who is still experiencing random lockups on their wrt1900ac and if there is any correlation to whether this is happening to those of us that bought a used/refurbished model. I bought mine used on Amazon.

I am still experiencing lockups with all CC versions including the latest trunk release. At this point my 1900 is offline until this is resolved. It's interesting to see that issue #21 has yet to be addressed. Could I have a bad router with a "flaky" CPU? Was there a problem during the binning process? Are there any V2 owners experiencing this issue?? How do you claim a warranty repair in this case?

My router lockup last weekend, I'm using RC3 with updated firmware.

(Last edited by suncharcool on 12 Aug 2015, 03:27)

makarel wrote:

@gufus

whell the device was configured ok apart from the missing switch tab
but it didntnt connected the wan cable and i failed to see that (he sed its all connected fine though)

ty for your help

Hi,

Can you help me setup a vlan on my 1900ac(v1), I just can't get it setup sad

To setup my third VLAN and swap configurations between VLAN 2 and 3.

is VLAN 2 is for the wan interface?

and VLAN 1 is for the lan interface?


config interface 'IPredator'
    option ifname 'tun1337'
    option proto 'none'

config interface 'loopback'
    option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
    option ula_prefix 'fda4:e5c6:93a8::/48'

config interface 'lan'
    option force_link '1'
    option type 'bridge'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'
    option ip6assign '60'
    option _orig_ifname 'eth0 wlan0 wlan1'
    option _orig_bridge 'true'
    option ifname 'eth0'

config interface 'wan'
    option proto 'dhcp'
    option peerdns '0'
    option _orig_ifname 'eth1'
    option _orig_bridge 'false'
    option ifname 'eth1'

config interface 'wan6'
    option ifname 'eth1'
    option proto 'dhcpv6'

config switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '1'
    option ports '0 1 2 3 5'
    option vid '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '2'
    option vid '2'
    option ports '4 6'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '3'
    option vid '3'

(Last edited by gufus on 12 Aug 2015, 09:06)

@gufus

this will create 2 separate lans one that gets routed to wan on vlan1(ports 0 1)
and one that doesnt vlan3(ports 2 3) it just passes trough switch

config switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '1'
    option ports '0 1 5'
    option vid '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '2'
    option vid '2'
    option ports '4 6'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '3'
    option vid '3'
    option ports '2 3'

your switch has default like this

armada-xp-linksys-mamba)
    ucidef_set_interfaces_lan_wan "eth0" "eth1"
    ucidef_add_switch "switch0" "1" "1"
    ucidef_add_switch_vlan "switch0" "1" "0 1 2 3 5"
    ucidef_add_switch_vlan "switch0" "2" "4 6"

routing(cpu) is on ports 5 6 (5-lan 6-wan)
anything attached to port 6 is wan; anything attached to port 5 is lan
you can assign any link ports (0-4) to any routing port(5 6) but not same link port to both routing ports
the routing ports can be assigned to different vlans
but the link ports can only be assigned to one vlan
i recomand you have a ttl adapter or proven failsafe method before playing with network settings

(Last edited by makarel on 12 Aug 2015, 22:00)

makarel wrote:

this will create 2 separate lans one that gets routed to wan on vlan1(ports 0 1)
and one that doesnt vlan3(ports 2 3) it just passes trough switch

So I can create 2 Network VLAN Interface's for vlan2 and vlan3.. right?

Setup to eth2/eth3

And both will route to wan on vlan1

And network 192.168.1.1 (stock set-up} stays up on "eth1" yes/no

@gufus
the switch config i gave you makes an independent vlan3
the wan is vlan2

how exactly do you want it configured?
make a sketch

makarel wrote:

@gufus
the switch config i gave you makes an independent vlan3
the wan is vlan2

how exactly do you want it configured?
make a sketch

I just need 1 vlan.

WAN on the wan port aka: lnternet port
VLAN on ports 1234 aka: Ethernet ports

(Last edited by gufus on 13 Aug 2015, 00:00)

gufus wrote:

I just need 1 vlan.

WAN on the wan port aka: lnternet port
VLAN on ports 1234 aka: Ethernet ports

no, you actually need two VLANs because the WAN port is not actually a separate port. It's just one more port on the switch.

So you need one VLAN to connect the switch port labelled WAN (port 4) to the port on the CPU that the default build uses for WAN (port 6)

Then you need a second VLAN to connect the ports labelled 1-4 (actual port numbers 0-3) to the port on the cpu that the default build uses for the LAN (port 5)

This is what the snippet  that was posted earlier does

armada-xp-linksys-mamba)
    ucidef_set_interfaces_lan_wan "eth0" "eth1"
    ucidef_add_switch "switch0" "1" "1"
    ucidef_add_switch_vlan "switch0" "1" "0 1 2 3 5"
    ucidef_add_switch_vlan "switch0" "2" "4 6"

I don't understand what the line:
    ucidef_set_interfaces_lan_wan "eth0" "eth1"
does exactly, but it probably is setting a bunch of internal things to treat eth0 (connected to port 5 of the switch) to be treated as LAN by the openwrt config and eth1 (connected to port 6 on the switch) to be treated as WAN.

On older systems, the eth1 port on the CPU was directly exposed to the outside. The newer systems seem to be just connecting them to the switch and using  a slightly larger switch. There are advantages and disadvantages to this. The ability to treat the port labelled as 'WAN' the same as any other port can be a _very_ nice advantage. This also lets you redefine some of the LAN ports to actually be on the WAN network if you need to plug something else in there (say a backup path the the outside). But it does slightly complicate the configuration, and it causes grief for people trying to detect the actual data rate (as the switch buffers traffic a little bit)

dlang wrote:
gufus wrote:

I just need 1 vlan.

WAN on the wan port aka: lnternet port
VLAN on ports 1234 aka: Ethernet ports

no, you actually need two VLANs because the WAN port is not actually a separate port. It's just one more port on the switch.

So you need one VLAN to connect the switch port labelled WAN (port 4) to the port on the CPU that the default build uses for WAN (port 6)

Then you need a second VLAN to connect the ports labelled 1-4 (actual port numbers 0-3) to the port on the cpu that the default build uses for the LAN (port 5)

WAN  ---- 192.168.1.1
     |
     | ---- VLAN1

VLAN1 -- VLAN2
                 |     
                 | port 1234

you have 5 ports on the back of the system, do you mean (logically)

eth1 (192.168.1.1) -> VLAN2 -> WAN port on router

eth0 (otherIP) -> VLAN1 -> LAN1-LAN4 ports on router

This is what the default config does (something like)

onfig switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '1'
    option ports '0 1 2 3 5'
    option vid '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '2'
    option vid '2'
    option ports '4 6'

physically what this is doing is

eth0 -> port 5 on switch
eth1 -> port 6 on switch
WAN -> port 4 on switch
LAN1 -> port 0 on switch
LAN2 -> port 1 on switch
LAN3 -> port 2 on switch
LAN4 -> port 3 on switch

vlan1 connects ports 0 1 2 3 5 on the switch
vlan2 connects ports 4 6 on the switch

For a reason unknown to me the SSDID associated with the Radio1 on WRT1900 v1 doesn't appear anymore. I'm running RC3 and have (I think) updated the wifi driver manually by replacing the .bin file.

Any tips on where to start, to fix this again.

@SaberOne its not running or you disabled the ssid broadcasting

@gufus this will create 3 vlans; all of them are linked to wan; i dont know if you can browse between them
vlan1 has 2 lan ports
vlan3 has 1 lan port
vlan4 has 1 lan port
vlan2 is wan port

you have to create the interfaces though; luci>network>interfaces>add

config switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '1'
    option vid '1'
    option ports '0 1 5'
    
config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '2'
    option vid '2'
    option ports '4 6'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '3'
    option vid '3'
    option ports '2 5'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '4'
    option vid '4'
    option ports '3 5

Hi everyone,
I having troubles when transferring large files ( >500MB) over WLAN to a USB 3.0/2.0 hard drive connected to my WRT1900AC  . The connection to the shared folders (I am using Samba) drops and the transfer gets interrupted. I am running the latest RC3 v1 with luci-app-samba.
Has anyone experienced this problem before?
Cheers

VLAV wrote:

Hi everyone,
I having troubles when transferring large files ( >500MB) over WLAN to a USB 3.0/2.0 hard drive connected to my WRT1900AC  . The connection to the shared folders (I am using Samba) drops and the transfer gets interrupted. I am running the latest RC3 v1 with luci-app-samba.
Has anyone experienced this problem before?
Cheers

I doubt my experience will provide your solution, but may help further diagnosis.
I have had a similar problem twice. At one stage it was when my USB3 drive was formatted and mounted as NTFS with a particular build trunk build of OpenWRT. I then formatted the drive to EXT4 and upgraded the trunk version and the problem went away.

Later i had the same experience again using a bandwidth/quota management script (WRTbwmon). It was writing periodically to the mounted drive and caused similar file transfer issues with Samba. The script was then updated with the changelog noting CIFS issues. Problem fixed. I now regularly transfer files up to 50Gb with no issue. (im still on trunk r45415)

Good luck finding a solution. I know it's a frustrating problem to have

VLAV wrote:

Hi everyone,
I having troubles when transferring large files ( >500MB) over WLAN to a USB 3.0/2.0 hard drive connected to my WRT1900AC  . The connection to the shared folders (I am using Samba) drops and the transfer gets interrupted. I am running the latest RC3 v1 with luci-app-samba.
Has anyone experienced this problem before?
Cheers

Myself as well as a couple of other people have tested USB file transfers, and essentially the router runs out of RAM during the transfer. At the time, everyone believed there needs to be a swap partition on the USB stick, that the router can use, to finish the transfers.

davidc502 wrote:
VLAV wrote:

Hi everyone,
I having troubles when transferring large files ( >500MB) over WLAN to a USB 3.0/2.0 hard drive connected to my WRT1900AC  . The connection to the shared folders (I am using Samba) drops and the transfer gets interrupted. I am running the latest RC3 v1 with luci-app-samba.
Has anyone experienced this problem before?
Cheers

Myself as well as a couple of other people have tested USB file transfers, and essentially the router runs out of RAM during the transfer. At the time, everyone believed there needs to be a swap partition on the USB stick, that the router can use, to finish the transfers.

maybe bugged smbd.. eatting 256MB...

makarel wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
VLAV wrote:

Hi everyone,
I having troubles when transferring large files ( >500MB) over WLAN to a USB 3.0/2.0 hard drive connected to my WRT1900AC  . The connection to the shared folders (I am using Samba) drops and the transfer gets interrupted. I am running the latest RC3 v1 with luci-app-samba.
Has anyone experienced this problem before?
Cheers

Myself as well as a couple of other people have tested USB file transfers, and essentially the router runs out of RAM during the transfer. At the time, everyone believed there needs to be a swap partition on the USB stick, that the router can use, to finish the transfers.

maybe bugged smbd.. eatting 256MB...

It was the chicken or the egg.... I created a swap partition, but then couldn't get anything to log to USB OR I created a file on the USB, but then couldn't get a swap partition setup on the USB.

dlang wrote:

you have 5 ports on the back of the system, do you mean (logically)

eth1 (192.168.1.1) -> VLAN2 -> WAN port on router

eth0 (otherIP) -> VLAN1 -> LAN1-LAN4 ports on router

This is what the default config does (something like)

onfig switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '1'
    option ports '0 1 2 3 5'
    option vid '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '2'
    option vid '2'
    option ports '4 6'

physically what this is doing is

eth0 -> port 5 on switch
eth1 -> port 6 on switch
WAN -> port 4 on switch
LAN1 -> port 0 on switch
LAN2 -> port 1 on switch
LAN3 -> port 2 on switch
LAN4 -> port 3 on switch

vlan1 connects ports 0 1 2 3 5 on the switch
vlan2 connects ports 4 6 on the switch

Thanks

I got it smile

VLAV wrote:

Hi everyone,
I having troubles when transferring large files ( >500MB) over WLAN to a USB 3.0/2.0 hard drive connected to my WRT1900AC  . The connection to the shared folders (I am using Samba) drops and the transfer gets interrupted. I am running the latest RC3 v1 with luci-app-samba.
Has anyone experienced this problem before?
Cheers

There was a discussion on this just recently, it's a bug/limit in the dropbear ssh daemon that's the default. It can't transfer files that it can't read entirely into RAM

switch to openssh instead of dropbear and the problem will vanish.

David Lang

VLAV wrote:

Hi everyone,
I having troubles when transferring large files ( >500MB) over WLAN to a USB 3.0/2.0 hard drive connected to my WRT1900AC  . The connection to the shared folders (I am using Samba) drops and the transfer gets interrupted. I am running the latest RC3 v1 with luci-app-samba.
Has anyone experienced this problem before?
Cheers

What program are you using to copy with?

Sorry, posts 6926 to 6925 are missing from our archive.