OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

makarel wrote:
RickStep wrote:

6. There have been issues where a pick & place robot assembler was loaded with the wrong value of a pull-up resistor. The wrong resistor didn't kill the circuit; was marginal and made some boards flakey. This is from personal experience at a company where I worked.

7. If the pick & place machine runs out of a component such as a bypass capacitor, that circuit board will be short one part. If the part is "non-critical" the board will work, but not properly.

8. All new circuit boards use surface mount components as opposed to the old through hole components.  If a though hole was misaligned, the component would miss the holes and smash into the board, easy to see.  If a surface mount component is misaligned, usually it doesn't matter since the component will actually float on the melted solder and align properly.  Except when the temperature of the soldering oven it too low and the solder doesn't properly melt and is only heated to a "plastic condition". In addition there could be a cold solder joint.  Cold solder connections usually only show up weeks or months later after the connection has oxidized.

in other words.. your manufacturing crap.. and expect sw to work on every unit the same.. lol and also ask for premium $$

no seriously speaking loading wrong wheel might happen but not planting a component cause if the tape ended its auto detected and stops also is auto photo checked since 10 or so years.. same with planting, the alignment is photo checked.. and precision under 0.1mm also these machine plant some 250k/h and more and not one component but mostly all of them on same machine

regarding the producer not knowing.. seriously i mean seriously..
regarding they dont give a crap.. FOR SURE big_smile

Don't give the circuit board manufacturing too much credit.  The far east manufacturing industries run hot and cold, mostly due to smart phones; high volumes for a while and then it ends until the next version.

While vision systems are in place; small volumes like routers, NAS boxes, switches mice and other low tech stuff (a router is low tech) are likely to be built with equipment removed from the most advanced manufacturing plants.

Someone somewhere suggested (I believe it was Chadster on the Linksys board) that there are millions of these in the market place. With all of the various routers currently available that would set world wide router sales at 50,000,000 plus a year. I would think that is crap.

I could get my mind around 100,000,000 plus modem routers bought by ISP's world wide; I just can't get my mind around a router to sit behind a router in huge numbers when 99.99 percent of Internet connections use what the ISP installs.

drewgarth2 wrote:

@makarel, thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to mention i tried that. Interesting the transfers didnt stop and were quite stable. However downloading was limited to about 1.5Mbytes/s, which is obviously way too slow.

Im kicking myself now, but i didnt test VSFTPD with a wired connection.
@Hobb, maybe you could see what performance you get from FTP, both wired and wireless?

(if i make any more changes for a few days in this household i will have some grumpy family)

cheers
Andrew

FTP Wireless 5Ghz - Oscillating between 8MB/sec and 14MB/sec
FTP Wired - Oscillating between 21MB/sec and 24MB/sec

Pretty weird that wired samba hits steady 34MB/sec, I presumed ftp would be faster.

(Last edited by Hobb on 20 Sep 2015, 02:17)

RickStep wrote:

Don't give the circuit board manufacturing too much credit.  The far east manufacturing industries run hot and cold, mostly due to smart phones; high volumes for a while and then it ends until the next version.

While vision systems are in place; small volumes like routers, NAS boxes, switches mice and other low tech stuff (a router is low tech) are likely to be built with equipment removed from the most advanced manufacturing plants.

Someone somewhere suggested (I believe it was Chadster on the Linksys board) that there are millions of these in the market place. With all of the various routers currently available that would set world wide router sales at 50,000,000 plus a year. I would think that is crap.

I could get my mind around 100,000,000 plus modem routers bought by ISP's world wide; I just can't get my mind around a router to sit behind a router in huge numbers when 99.99 percent of Internet connections use what the ISP installs.

Also remember that this isn't rocket science or submarine engineering. They aren't trying for "zero defects at any cost" There is some point where trying to eliminate more defects costs more than dealing with returns and customer dissatisfaction.

Hobb wrote:
drewgarth2 wrote:

@makarel, thanks for the suggestion. I forgot to mention i tried that. Interesting the transfers didnt stop and were quite stable. However downloading was limited to about 1.5Mbytes/s, which is obviously way too slow.

Im kicking myself now, but i didnt test VSFTPD with a wired connection.
@Hobb, maybe you could see what performance you get from FTP, both wired and wireless?

(if i make any more changes for a few days in this household i will have some grumpy family)

cheers
Andrew

FTP Wireless 5Ghz - Oscillating between 8MB/sec and 14MB/sec
FTP Wired - Oscillating between 21MB/sec and 24MB/sec

Pretty weird that wired samba hits steady 34MB/sec, I presumed ftp would be faster.

Hobb Interesting.
My transfers speeds have sort of settled down a bit..im not getting the transfer crashes of yesterday.
On 1.5Gb file, im getting the following read speeds
FTP Wireless 5Ghz varies between 8MB/s and 25MB/s
Samba Wireless 5Ghz varies from 5MB/s and 14 MB/s
And it varies all over the place.

I have also had to hard reboot the router twice today courtesy of it locking up once.
It also dropped the 5Ghz radio once.

Im also having issues with the Samba share not being accessible from time to time from the laptop. I wait a few mins and try again and then i can access it.

Are you able to post your SMB.conf and the template file for comparison?

cheers
Andrew

Hey guys,

I was on CC final and the overall wifi speeds where awesome, but the lock-ups pissed me off big time smile

In terms of transfer speeds over wifi to the attached usb3.0 drive, when I transferred small files I would get between 15-20 MB/s.

In regards to McWRT, Chadster released an update of the firmware (v2) around a month ago.

(Last edited by Nihilanth on 20 Sep 2015, 08:23)

@gufus
May I ask how you get the "Security is enabled, and your IP address has been logged"?

dobetter wrote:

@gufus
May I ask how you get the "Security is enabled, and your IP address has been logged"?

Not sure how gufus did it but one method is to add that string to the bottom of "/etc/issue".  There is more than one way to do that.

(Last edited by kirkgbr on 20 Sep 2015, 15:54)

I wish I knew about this sooner
vm.min_free_kbytes=16384
Test using WD usb3 hd 5Ghz using samba
ntfs...I know smile
upload 5.8Gig high 6's to high 7's MBs very steady speed avg. 6.5MBs

Memory during upload
Total ava 45%
Free 9%
buffered went from 248k to  812000k 92100k 35%
No errors in log this is a start

Download same 5.8Gig 12MBs to 27MBs avg. 20MBs

Memory during download
Total ava 45%
Free 9%
Buffered  went from 268k to 36%
################################################################################
Hard wired download
33MBs to 42MBs avg. 37MBs
Memory usuage same as above

Hard wired upload
3.6MBs to 8.5MBs avg. 5MBs
Memory usuage same as above

It suprised me to see wired upload was slower than wireless will try again later.
The best suprise was no errors in the log no out of memory no wireless drops.
This is getting better but I am sure a good properly working wireless driver would improve things.
Also it looks like the load balancing has improved even more in this version.

Hostname OpenWrt
Model Linksys WRT1900AC
Firmware Version OpenWrt Designated Driver r47008 / LuCI (git-15.262.40644-13f3ad9)
Kernel Version 3.18.21
Local Time Sun Sep 20 15:09:09 2015
Uptime 1h 30m 59s
Load Average 0.09, 1.17, 1.63

northbound wrote:

vm.min_free_kbytes=16384

You could try increasing the vm cache.

This works pretty good here, I don't run out of memory now smile

Good MB/sec too (transfer rate)

# Set the vm cache. vertical memory cache
vm.min_free_kbytes=16384

(Last edited by gufus on 20 Sep 2015, 22:47)

gufus wrote:
northbound wrote:

vm.min_free_kbytes=16384

You could try increasing the vm cache.

This works pretty good here, I don't run out of memory now smile

Good MB/sec too (transfer rate)

# Set the vm cache. vertical memory cache
vm.min_free_kbytes=16384

Lol! that is what I did. This is what I was testing, not quite as good as factory but tolerable for now I wonder why this is not incorporated to trunk. I really want to check out any beta's of the mwlwifi.ko . smile

Agreed, tolerable and usable for now once these things are setup. But yes, no where near the linksys factory firmware performance.

BTW, i think i have also sorted out why my Samba network shares seemed to keep being "not accessible" from my windows box.
I mapped a network drive by IP and had no issues, so i was figuring on some form of name lookup issue on the network.

(any network engineers feel free to correct my following thoughts smile.

I had been using the default "OpenWrt" hostname and Samba name. Figuring that in a name lookup OpenWrt is obviously quite comment. i changed it from the default settings...eg OpenWrtABC.

Browsing to the shares is now reliable

Just switched from rc3 to Final, now my router crash every 4hours ... I'll try to flash it back in rc3 tomorrow.

mrfrezee wrote:

... now my router crash every 4hours ...

your the lucky one big_smile

ps: or you can try and debug your crashes

drewgarth2 wrote:

cheers
Andrew

Here is my samba template:

[global]
    netbios name = |NAME| 
    display charset = |CHARSET|
    interfaces = |INTERFACES|
    server string = |DESCRIPTION|
    unix charset = |CHARSET|
    workgroup = |WORKGROUP|
    browseable = yes
    deadtime = 30
    domain master = yes
    encrypt passwords = true
    enable core files = no
    guest account = nobody
    guest ok = yes
    invalid users = root
    load printers = no
    map to guest = Bad User
    max protocol = SMB2
    min receivefile size = 16384
    null passwords = yes
    obey pam restrictions = yes
    os level = 255
    passdb backend = smbpasswd
    printable = no
    security = user
    smb encrypt = disabled
    smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
    use sendfile = yes
    writeable = yes
    local master = yes
    preferred master = yes
    syslog = 2
    read raw = yes
    write raw = yes
    strict allocate = yes
    strict locking = no

There is nothing relevant in the smb.conf that differs from the template, just the substitutions and some pretty standard share.

Anyone messing around with exfat?
Usually if you set no parameters kmod-fs defaults to r&w but I am not able to accomplish the write from a win 10 fasttrack I get an rpc error so I installed rpcd still can not write to it. Winscp does no problem. But I can not get the flashdrive to accept write from all 0777 in samba with win10?
Any ideas welcome. smile

northbound wrote:

Usually if you set no parameters kmod-fs defaults to r&w but I am not able to accomplish the write from a win 10 fasttrack I get an rpc error so I installed rpcd still can not write to it. Winscp does no problem. But I can not get the flashdrive to accept write from all 0777 in samba with win10?
Any ideas welcome. smile

are  you asking for vfat fs options?

makarel wrote:
mrfrezee wrote:

CC 15.05

Using username "root".
SSH implementation OpenSSH 6.8
Authenticating with public key "imported-openssh-key"

BusyBox v1.23.2 (2015-07-24 23:41:29 CEST) built-in shell (ash)

OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05 r46767
Security is enabled, and your IP address has been logged.

root@AC1900M:~# uptime
18:08:52 up 6 days,  5:14,  load average: 0.02, 0.03, 0.14
root@AC1900M:~#

makarel wrote:
northbound wrote:

Any ideas welcome. smile

are  you asking for vfat fs options?

I formatted a flash drive in windows to exfat I then installed kmod-fs-exfat I can read and copy from the router. When trying to write the only error win10 came back with is an rpc error so I installed rpcd ver 2015-07-15-410802e106..e30. Still can not write I also can not make the write take in winscp properties yet I can on a drive formatted with ntfs.
Just testing I will probably go back to ext4. I was just wondering if anyone else had been down this road before.

mrfrezee wrote:

Just switched from rc3 to Final, now my router crash every 4hours ... I'll try to flash it back in rc3 tomorrow.

I'm in the same boat, and am thinking about going back to RC3 as well.

**EDIT**
Well, I keep jawing on about it, so I told myself to either do it, or get off the pot... So, I'm now back on RC3.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 21 Sep 2015, 01:45)

northbound wrote:

I formatted a flash drive in windows to exfat I then installed kmod-fs-exfat I can read and copy from the router. When trying to write the only error win10 came back with is an rpc error so I installed rpcd ver 2015-07-15-410802e106..e30. Still can not write I also can not make the write take in winscp properties yet I can on a drive formatted with ntfs.
Just testing I will probably go back to ext4. I was just wondering if anyone else had been down this road before.

sry didnt know what exFAT is.. sounded like vfat.. big_smile
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

try these option when mounting; they work for vfat.. maybe they also do for this new contraption

umask=000,dmask=000,fmask=000,uid=65534,gid=65534

Although quite happy with the final build -> CHAOS CALMER (15.05, r46767), I miss bleeding edge smile

root@WRT1900AC-P:~# uptime
21:59:40 up 7 days,  1:36,  load average: 0.07, 0.03, 0.04
root@WRT1900AC-P:~# sensors
tmp421-i2c-0-4c
Adapter: mv64xxx_i2c adapter
temp1:        +38.9 C
temp2:        +39.8 C

armada_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +48.7 C

Anyone running r47008 without changing the driver?  Stable?

Cheers

(Last edited by doITright on 21 Sep 2015, 03:05)

Hobb wrote:
drewgarth2 wrote:

cheers
Andrew

Here is my samba template:
There is nothing relevant in the smb.conf that differs from the template, just the substitutions and some pretty standard share.

Thanks Hobb, yeah the Socket options differ a bit from mine and the last 4 items. For consistency i have made them the same.
It made no difference to the Wireless transfer performance for me. (not that i expected it to).

I guess at this point we are hanging out for the new driver and hoping, or going back to factory FW if either the slower speed, or total router lockups get too frustrating.

Thanks for everyone that has helped to provide what is at least a working Samba / wireless config

cheers

makarel wrote:
mrfrezee wrote:

I'll give it another try. Just reflashed cleanly (Flash to stock -> Flash to CC Final).

Hostname    net002
Model    Linksys WRT1900AC
Firmware Version    OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05 / LuCI (git-15.248.30277-3836b45)
Kernel Version    3.18.20
Local Time     Mon Sep 21 16:21:12 2015
Uptime    1h 58m 30s
Load Average    0.45, 0.52, 0.50

Fingers crossed.

mrfrezee wrote:
makarel wrote:
mrfrezee wrote:

I'll give it another try. Just reflashed cleanly (Flash to stock -> Flash to CC Final).

Hostname    net002
Model    Linksys WRT1900AC
Firmware Version    OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05 / LuCI (git-15.248.30277-3836b45)
Kernel Version    3.18.20
Local Time     Mon Sep 21 16:21:12 2015
Uptime    1h 58m 30s
Load Average    0.45, 0.52, 0.50

Fingers crossed.

Me and my big mouth...

EDIT
Removed my image, seemed too big.
Anyway, i just crashed two hours after CC Final upgrade, my router stability is important (i work from home) so back in rc3.

Does anyone investigate the performance drop from Stock to CC ? Is it pppd or the routing in cause ?

** Stock Firmware **
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4681820438.png

** OpenWRT CC-rc3 (does not improve in Final) **
http://www.speedtest.net/result/4681846211.png

Specs:
1GPON Fiber Network with PPPoE (i know, tell it to my ISP) on a specific VLAN,
ISP throttling set to 750 DL and 250 UP,
eth1 is untagged in the switch,
WAN port is tagged in the switch,
No VLAN for IPTV or VOIP is in use, just the WAN.

(Last edited by mrfrezee on 21 Sep 2015, 17:03)

Sorry, posts 7726 to 7725 are missing from our archive.