OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

mojolacerator wrote:

I was thinking of adding these(below), but I cannot figure out the format.

'http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/serverlist.php?h … =plaintext'
     'http://www.malwaredomainlist.com/hostslist/hosts.txt'
     'http://hosts-file.net/.\ad_servers.txt'
     'http://sysctl.org/cameleon/hosts.win'
     'http://adaway.org/hosts.txt'

Here is a snippet of my code (modified from a pre-existing ad blocking scheme on the forums).  It concatenates 3 sources (the pgl.yoyo.org link, the malwaredomainlist link, and a custom file).  The output is unique, sorted results that dnsmasq can forward to your pixel server.

MW = malwaredomainlist url
DM_TMP = temp file location
ADS = pgl.yoyo.org url
BL = blacklist file location
DM_BAD = domain list to be blocked
ip2 = pixel server IP address

(wget -qO- $MW | ( grep "127" | grep -v "localhost" ) ) | awk '{ print $2 }' >  $DM_TMP
    logger -t adblock "wget $MW ..."
    # prepend address text and append actual ip address
    sed -i "s/^/address=\//;s/$/\/$ip2/" $DM_TMP
    logger -t adblock "wget $ADS ..."
    wget -qO- $ADS >> $DM_TMP

sed -i -e "s/127\.0\.0\.1/$ip2/" $DM_TMP

# if blacklist file exists concatenate to downloaded file
    if [ -f $BL ]; then
        logger -t adblock "appending $BL ..."
        cat $BL >> $DM_TMP
    fi
    sort $DM_TMP|uniq > $DM_BAD
    rm -f $DM_TMP

Custom blocking $BL file format

address=/domain.to.block/<pixel-server-ip-address>

Gotta love sed syntax.  If you add the others, let me know.  It shouldn't be too bad to process reasonable lists into this format, I just didn't take the time to do more than the above.

anomeome wrote:

Running 4.4rc7 it seems the CPU utilization on v1 has increased. Just empirical as I am not collecting stats to allow a comparison across device bounces. But it seems higher than all the previous 4.4rc's that I have tried.

Edit: Build tree to change set r48014, so latest mwlwifi.

Anomeone, how did you get/find 4.4rc7?  I just cloned and built latest trunk(r48016) and all I see is rc5 stuffs.

just curious.

(Last edited by kirkgbr on 31 Dec 2015, 02:27)

mod File: include/kernel-version.mk
LINUX_VERSION-4.4 =

Edit: Should add it doesn't necessarily come labour free.

(Last edited by anomeome on 31 Dec 2015, 02:57)

anomeome wrote:

LINUX_VERSION-4.4 =

LOL,  looks like I got some more research to do.

thanks

anomeome wrote:

LINUX_VERSION-4.4 =

Thanks anomeome!

Mike

Any news about the Wifi issue with 2 SSIDs?

thx & so long

mojolacerator wrote:
tatanka01 wrote:
JohnnySL wrote:

@davidc502 the ACS is hardware wise identical to the V2

Very close.  ACS has 2x the RAM and a faster CPU (1.6 vs. 1.3 GHz).

FYI:

My WRT1900ACv2 has same ram and also 1.6ghz cpu.

Interesting.  Were there two versions of the V2?  Stuff I find on the net says the ACv2 had 256MB RAM and a 1.3 GHz CPU.

Chadster766 wrote:

McDebian is a complete Debian operating system for newer model Linksys WRT routers.

Hi Chadster,

I like that! I always found it peculiar the way you can or can't keep OpenWRT uptodate. How will that work in McDebian? Will you provide an image to install it (the USB2serial method keeps me from using it right away)?

tatanka01 wrote:
mojolacerator wrote:
tatanka01 wrote:

Very close.  ACS has 2x the RAM and a faster CPU (1.6 vs. 1.3 GHz).

FYI:

My WRT1900ACv2 has same ram and also 1.6ghz cpu.

Interesting.  Were there two versions of the V2?  Stuff I find on the net says the ACv2 had 256MB RAM and a 1.3 GHz CPU.

I have a ACv2 and it shows 512MB RAM with 1.6ghz CPU.

gaga wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

McDebian is a complete Debian operating system for newer model Linksys WRT routers.

Hi Chadster,

I like that! I always found it peculiar the way you can or can't keep OpenWRT uptodate. How will that work in McDebian? Will you provide an image to install it (the USB2serial method keeps me from using it right away)?

Updating Debian is as simple as running "apt-get upgrade". This will upgrade installed packages and the whole system if an upgrade is available. Debian stable system releases don't happen frequently due to the heavy QA requirements.

I prefer users have a USB to TTL cable. If a GitHub Pull Request comes in that has a good process for loading the firmware via another firmware like the Linksys firmwares then I will approve the Pull Request.

Chadster766 wrote:

Updating Debian is as simple as running "apt-get upgrade". This will upgrade installed packages and the whole system if an upgrade is available. Debian stable system releases don't happen frequently due to the heavy QA requirements.

True. What about security updates? They are quite frequent..

Chadster766 wrote:

I prefer users have a USB to TTL cable. If a GitHub Pull Request comes in that has a good process for loading the firmware via another firmware like the Linksys firmwares then I will approve the Pull Request.

Sounds pretty cool.  Is there a way to fall back or switch to the other nand if on this Debian build?

gaga wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

"apt-get upgrade" will include the security updates.

kirkgbr wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

Sounds pretty cool.  Is there a way to fall back or switch to the other nand if on this Debian build?

No a USB to TTL cable must used load McDebian firmware.

quick question. the V2 is compatible with openwrt also right? Im on with linksys support right now....not enough time to research.. please someone please reply...

alirz wrote:

quick question. the V2 is compatible with openwrt also right? Im on with linksys support right now....not enough time to research.. please someone please reply...

Yes OpenWRT is compatible with the WRT1900AC V2.

Chadster766 wrote:
alirz wrote:

Yes OpenWRT is compatible with the WRT1900AC V2.

thanks.

These are from the kernel log --- Any idea what they mean?  Wifi appears to be working, and no lock ups, but was just wondering.

[340364.627856] ieee80211 phy1: ampdu start error code: -22
[340364.672586] ieee80211 phy1: check ba result error 1
[340364.677941] ieee80211 phy1: ampdu start error code: -22
[340364.722864] ieee80211 phy1: check ba result error 1
[340364.728031] ieee80211 phy1: ampdu start error code: -22
[340364.782858] ieee80211 phy1: check ba result error 1
[340364.787919] ieee80211 phy1: ampdu start error code: -22
[340364.832592] ieee80211 phy1: check ba result error 1
[340364.837650] ieee80211 phy1: ampdu start error code: -22
[349547.663227] ieee80211 phy1: check ba result error 1
[349547.668299] ieee80211 phy1: ampdu start error code: -22

@davidc502: that is long standing bug in the driver. The message is usually cosmetic, but sometimes it seems to disrupt client traffic (needing to disconnect and reconnect the client). issue is tracked here: https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi/issues/41

@davidc: No such kernel messages here. I only have radio0 (5ghz) enabled though.

(Last edited by WizKid on 31 Dec 2015, 20:08)

WizKid wrote:

@davidc: No such kernel messages here. I only have radio0 (5ghz) enabled though.

Oh, so how is that build working out so far?

Are you getting good speeds out of 5Ghz?

Also, what is your maximum download speed from your ISP? If it's 500mbps or more, will recommend a setting change.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 31 Dec 2015, 21:06)

Has anyone who is running kernel 4.4rcx figured out how to get the wan LED to work?  All my builds seem to never have this one LED working.

(Last edited by kirkgbr on 31 Dec 2015, 21:02)

Chadster766 wrote:
gaga wrote:
Chadster766 wrote:

"apt-get upgrade" will include the security updates.

so do you not use a read-only filesystem for the base OS the way OpenWRT does?

the problem with doing lots of package updates with OpenWRT is that the writable filesystem is much less space efficient than the read-only filesystem in storing stuff, so software that fits very comfortably in the read-only filesystem can't even be installed if you use a 'normal' filesystem.

how do you handle wear-leveling of the flash? Unlike OpenWRT, the packages in Debian have not been selected/tweaked to avoid writing and re-writing files.

kirkgbr wrote:

Has anyone who is running kernel 4.4rcx figured out how to get the wan LED to work?  All my builds seem to never have this one LED working.

That's because in kernels < 4.0 the driver was not present in kernel tree, OpenWRT relied on a patch that introduced the TLC59116 driver. Kernels > 4.0 have the driver integrated, but for the whole tlc591xx family. You need to edit leds.mk and change tlc59116 to tlc591xx.

nitroshift

davidc502 wrote:

Oh, so how is that build working out so far?

Great.

Are you getting good speeds out of 5Ghz?

Yes.

Also, what is your maximum download speed from your ISP?

34mpbs symmetrical, though advertised as 30mbps symmetrical. GPON using an Alcatel-Lucent O-221E.

(Last edited by WizKid on 31 Dec 2015, 22:45)