OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

Hi Guys,
I've been following this thread for quite a while waiting for the new drivers. I've been running RC1 for quite a while. I must have the record of 68 days uptime on it wink but now I've sysupgraded to David's 48158 snapshot build.

I had the 4 radios issue to which I deleted the non working ones. 5ghz seems to work pretty decently.

The issue I'm having is with the 2.4GHz radio in that I cannot get it to use N mode on 40Mhz channel widths.

My config file is:

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option path 'platform/soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'
        option txpower '20'
        option country 'AU'
        option distance '30'
        option htmode 'HT40'
        option channel '1'

config wifi-iface
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'xxxxxxx'
        option encryption 'psk2+tkip'
        option key 'xxxxxxxx

I've used my mac's inbuilt wifi scanner and it shows my 2.4GHz radio as b/g mode only in 20MHz. I've also used a wifi scanner on my iphone with the same results, and the addition of max data rate detected as 54Mbps. I get these values regardless of whether I'm in the next room or right next to the router, and there's no other wifi signals on that channel nearby (the closest is a 23% signal on channel 10).

Is there something I've missed here?

quantum8 wrote:

Hi Guys,
I've been following this thread for quite a while waiting for the new drivers. I've been running RC1 for quite a while. I must have the record of 68 days uptime on it wink but now I've sysupgraded to David's 48158 snapshot build.

I had the 4 radios issue to which I deleted the non working ones. 5ghz seems to work pretty decently.

The issue I'm having is with the 2.4GHz radio in that I cannot get it to use N mode on 40Mhz channel widths.

My config file is:

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option path 'platform/soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'
        option txpower '20'
        option country 'AU'
        option distance '30'
        option htmode 'HT40'
        option channel '1'

config wifi-iface
        option device 'radio0'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'xxxxxxx'
        option encryption 'psk2+tkip'
        option key 'xxxxxxxx

I've used my mac's inbuilt wifi scanner and it shows my 2.4GHz radio as b/g mode only in 20MHz. I've also used a wifi scanner on my iphone with the same results, and the addition of max data rate detected as 54Mbps. I get these values regardless of whether I'm in the next room or right next to the router, and there's no other wifi signals on that channel nearby (the closest is a 23% signal on channel 10).

Is there something I've missed here?

Use the "option noscan" in your 2.4Ghz config.

Just added it to the radio0 area and still getting the same result. Tried wifi down, wifi commands and even a reboot. Still the same.

To confirm, added option noscan to wifi-device section. Also tried option noscan '1'.

Try 'VHT20' in htmode, that improved my speeds although it hasn't completely resolved my 2.4GHz speed/stability issues.

(Last edited by tekiwibird on 19 Jan 2016, 07:36)

BusyBox v1.23.2 (2015-07-24 23:41:29 CEST) built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
|       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
|   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
|_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
-----------------------------------------------------
CHAOS CALMER (15.05, r46767)
  * 1 1/2 oz Gin            Shake with a glassful
  * 1/4 oz Triple Sec       of broken ice and pour
  * 3/4 oz Lime Juice       unstrained into a goblet.
  * 1 1/2 oz Orange Juice
  * 1 tsp. Grenadine Syrup
~$ uname -a
Linux OpenWrt 3.18.20 #1 SMP Fri Sep 4 18:12:49 CEST 2015 armv7l GNU/Linux
~$ date
Tue Jan 19 11:56:07 SAST 2016
~$ uptime
11:56:09 up 75 days, 15:25,  load average: 0.51, 0.73, 0.54

I can confirm that OpenWRT CC is stable if you are willing to take a wifi speed decrease by disabling WMM Mode on all your SSIDs. I needed to run this router in production where uptime and reliability was more important that speed, so if someone else is in my position here is the proof. Although I am still waiting for them to fix the driver so I can take advantage of the speed and having good uptime

Is there now a patch for the DFS issue? The issue was once a dfs channel was selected and saved, channel 36 would actually be used. This was verified via wifi analyzer.

tekiwibird wrote:

Try 'VHT20' in htmode, that improved my speeds although it hasn't completely resolved my 2.4GHz speed/stability issues.

Not sure if that'll help as my wifi scanners report that it's broadcasting on a/b only (no n) but I'll give it a go.

quantum8 wrote:
tekiwibird wrote:

Not sure if that'll help as my wifi scanners report that it's broadcasting on a/b only (no n) but I'll give it a go.

option hwmode '11ng'

I'm trying davidc502's build, but I can't install kernel modules:

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install ipset
Installing ipset (6.24-1) to root...
Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/mvebu/generic/packages/base/ipset_6.24-1_mvebu.ipk.
Collected errors:
 * satisfy_dependencies_for: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for ipset:
 *      kernel (= 4.1.13-1-8f73c8e82cbb1a7fab32432cc61f0b15) *  kernel (= 4.1.13-1-8f73c8e82cbb1a7fab32432cc61f0b15) * 
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package ipset.

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg list-installed|grep -i kernel
kernel - 4.1.13-1-4a76ee6ffd03912bfaddca523fdc8b05

root@OpenWrt:~# opkg install ipset --force-depends
Wed Jan 20 00:54:32 2016 kern.warn kernel: [96841.473603] ip_set_bitmap_ip: gave up waiting for init of module ip_set.
Wed Jan 20 00:54:32 2016 kern.warn kernel: [96841.480432] ip_set_bitmap_ip: Unknown symbol ip_set_hostmask_map (err -16)
Wed Jan 20 00:55:02 2016 kern.warn kernel: [96871.484114] ip_set_bitmap_ip: gave up waiting for init of module ip_set.
Wed Jan 20 00:55:02 2016 kern.warn kernel: [96871.490868] ip_set_bitmap_ip: Unknown symbol ip_set_elem_len (err -16)
Wed Jan 20 01:00:02 2016 kern.warn kernel: [97171.677150] ip_set_bitmap_ipmac: gave up waiting for init of module ip_set.
Wed Jan 20 01:00:02 2016 kern.warn kernel: [97171.684160] ip_set_bitmap_ipmac: Unknown symbol ip_set_get_ipaddr4 (err -16)
Wed Jan 20 01:03:32 2016 kern.warn kernel: [97381.830364] ip_set_bitmap_port: gave up waiting for init of module ip_set.
Wed Jan 20 01:03:32 2016 kern.warn kernel: [97381.837363] ip_set_bitmap_port: Unknown symbol ip_set_elem_len (err -16)

Is there a way to install trunk packages without rebuilding them?

tekiwibird wrote:
quantum8 wrote:
tekiwibird wrote:

option hwmode '11ng'

I didn't think that was a valid option, according to the wiki.

Either way I think I made a rookie error and should have made a clean installation from RC2 to this newer build. I ended up flashing to stock and then to trunk and manually putting my settings back.

Wifi works great so far on 2.4Ghz; I'm averaging 80Mbit on my upstairs computer. Let's hope it remains as stable as other have reported!

What kernel modules do you need besides ipset?

davidc502 wrote:

Is there now a patch for the DFS issue? The issue was once a dfs channel was selected and saved, channel 36 would actually be used. This was verified via wifi analyzer.

I posted that I solved this with a reg domain update (on GitHub).
Chadster then confirmed that this fix also worked for him.
Kaloz then committed the domain update to the CC and DD branches.

Have you tried this?

davidc502 wrote:

I need kmod-tun (for openvpn-polarssl), kmod-ipt-ipset and kmod-nfnetlink (for ipset and dnsmasq-full). Thank you.

Actually I have not.. Running trunk snapshot, and wasn't sure what was involved in updating.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 20 Jan 2016, 02:52)

Vanav wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

I need kmod-tun (for openvpn-polarssl), kmod-ipt-ipset and kmod-nfnetlink (for ipset and dnsmasq-full). Thank you.

Okay, give these a try. You may still have to force, but the kernel is the same.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~davidc502/mvebu/vanav/

(Last edited by davidc502 on 20 Jan 2016, 03:45)

davidc502 wrote:

Actually I have not.. Running trunk snapshot, and wasn't sure what was involved in updating.

Hi David,

I am using the firmware you compiled as well, thanks!
Are you planning to compile a new one with the changes Lantis mentioned?

@xhemp

Correct, the plan will be to apply the patch and build again. Lantis said "he'd reg domain update", but so far haven't been able to find anything. Will keep looking around.

davidc502 wrote:

@xhemp

Correct, the plan will be to apply the patch and build again. Lantis said "he'd reg domain update", but so far haven't been able to find anything. Will keep looking around.

Is this possibly it??

https://github.com/openwrt/openwrt/comm … 6cc1cb9921

Guys I am stuck with my Linksys WRT1900ACS, trying to recover it and not finding a solution got tftp server working and can get the image downloaded to the router but when I do Marvell>> run flash_pri_image ## Error: "flash_pri_image" not defined that is what I get any thoughts?

kirkgbr wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

@xhemp

Is this possibly it??

It's possible as it was from 8 days ago, which sounds about right.

kylejvrsa wrote:

Guys I am stuck with my Linksys WRT1900ACS, trying to recover it and not finding a solution got tftp server working and can get the image downloaded to the router but when I do Marvell>> run flash_pri_image ## Error: "flash_pri_image" not defined that is what I get any thoughts?

You have to rename your firmware name in your tftp folder to the right name. You can find out the name that is needed by just doing "run flash_pri_image" and see what file it is looking for. I am assuming you are using a TTL cable.

kirkgbr wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

@xhemp

Is this possibly it??

I'm thinking there was more changes than just adjusting a few lines in regdb.txt.

If that's the case I could just make those changes before compiling. There must be more to it than that.

mojolacerator wrote:
mojolacerator wrote:

Anybody know why trunk is stuck on Jan 6 ?

https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … u/generic/

Anyone ?

Bueller ?

The upstream debian ca-certificates source package changed versions around that time from 20151214 to 20160104 and the old file was deleted from their servers.  I had to edit the makefile to get it to compile, it broke my build otherwise, as I have ca-certificates included.  I'm not sure what day exactly the old file got removed, but if ca-certificates is included in the trunk build, the dates are close enough, that would be my bet.

Sorry, posts 9651 to 9650 are missing from our archive.