OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

davidc502 wrote:

Just a observations about the latest trunk snapshot -- I'm wondering if beamforming is working correctly. Last night I had 5 devices downstairs, and 1 upstairs, all on 5Ghz. Downstairs all 5 devices were getting degraded service, but upstairs speeds were great (router is downstairs). Tested downstairs, and was getting 20mbps, and walked upstairs near the other device, and had no problems pulling in 100mbps.

Has anyone run across this type of problem before?

How can this be tested?

Would this work?

1. Disabling Beamforming
2. Record signal strength of the connected devices
3. Enable Beamforming
4. Record signal strength of the connected devices

Do you know how to disable beamforming?

davidc502 wrote:

Do you know how to disable beamforming?

Wouldn't removing "[SU-BEAMFORMER][SU-BEAMFORMEE]" from the hostapd wlan config files disable Beamforming? smile

Well, I could try it.

davidc502 wrote:

Just a observations about the latest trunk snapshot -- I'm wondering if beamforming is working correctly. Last night I had 5 devices downstairs, and 1 upstairs, all on 5Ghz. Downstairs all 5 devices were getting degraded service, but upstairs speeds were great (router is downstairs). Tested downstairs, and was getting 20mbps, and walked upstairs near the other device, and had no problems pulling in 100mbps.

a) all the clients were AC-devices? beamforming only works if the client speaks AC, too
b) the router was located upstairs? beamforming (in the AC standard) is 2D-only (horizontally)...

No, just the laptop (downstairs), and my Android (downstairs at the time) are connected via AC (The rest are N). The Amazon FireTV (upstairs) is connected via N.

So beamforming for AC is just horizontal.. Interesting as I didn't know that. Well, I guess that takes beamforming out of the equation then.

Then I don't know what was experienced last night, and what would cause the issue. Just tested downstairs in the LR, and speeds are back up to 100mbps+. I'm not sure what would cause that type of change on 5Ghz band as there's no interference, and no one else on the channel as per the Wifi analyzer.

Appreciate everyone's input though. It just goes to show how wacky and unpredictable Wifi is.

(Last edited by davidc502 on 24 Jan 2016, 16:50)

davidc502 wrote:

I have experienced this sort of thing too.
In my environment, I found that antenna positioning made a HUGE difference.
I found that simply tilting the rear two antennas slightly (eg. from 90 degrees straight up & down, to 80 degrees) resolved the problem.

davidc502 wrote:

No, just the laptop (downstairs), and my Android (downstairs at the time) are connected via AC (The rest are N). The Amazon FireTV (upstairs) is connected via N.

So beamforming for AC is just horizontal.. Interesting as I didn't know that. Well, I guess that takes beamforming out of the equation then.

Then I don't know what was experienced last night, and what would cause the issue. Just tested downstairs in the LR, and speeds are back up to 100mbps+. I'm not sure what would cause that type of change on 5Ghz band as there's no interference, and no one else on the channel as per the Wifi analyzer.

Appreciate everyone's input though. It just goes to show how wacky and unpredictable Wifi is.

I have seen similar issues when I have a HDD connected to the USB3.0 port of the router, disconnecting the HDD solved my problems. Do you have a HDD connected, if so, would you mind trying disconnecting it (or just disconnect every USB device to be sure)?

All....

Very strange behavior trying to jump to r48474 from r48444 (both at 4.4.0 with .16 and nand patch) on 1900AC v1.

Both sysupgrade and full image (without keeping settings) crash the router in a way I have never seen before.

Everything seems to go well but once the router reboots things blow up....  and after about 60 seconds all lights go off???

After 3 attempts to boot up, the previous image comes up so at least that still works....

Will hook up TTL and capture what is happening later today.  Will also try 4.1.x @ r48474 to see if this is 4.4.0 specific....

Cheers

***Edit***  Have not tried with keep settings...  expect same result but will verify this as well later today....

(Last edited by doITright on 24 Jan 2016, 17:26)

nortii wrote:

b) the router was located upstairs? beamforming (in the AC standard) is 2D-only (horizontally)...

if you want to hit a room on another floor you can you get this with just two of the antennas aimed at it?

I've got my four antennas aimed in different directions hoping to get better signals throughout the house.  I guess this means no beam forming for me ever. sad

johan81 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

I have seen similar issues when I have a HDD connected to the USB3.0 port of the router, disconnecting the HDD solved my problems. Do you have a HDD connected, if so, would you mind trying disconnecting it (or just disconnect every USB device to be sure)?

I do log firewall events/Kernel events, and other events to usb. Umount the USB, and tested wifi, and the results are inconclusive at this time. When I think yeah, that made a huge difference, I went back later to that same spot, and speeds dropped back off.

Is it this last trunk build that has issues? Or is it that I've been wandering around the house with my laptop in one hand, and Android with Analyzer in the other (testing over and over), and I'm now seeing possible issues that may have been in other recent builds but just didn't know it.

Who knows...

Re antenna positioning:

When looking at the WRT1900AC router's front (i.e. leds are facing you, ethernet ports are away from you):

1) for multi-floor, 'front' ('side') antennae should be pointed straight UP, while the rear antennae at ~45 degree angle

2) for single-floor (all devices on same floor as router) all antennae should be pointed straight up.

Interestingly, the optional higher-gain antennae should only be used all pointing up, i.e. will only benefit single-floor use (and even then there are trade-offs vs. the standard antennae; tldr - you're generally better off with stock antennae).

Can someone please help me to setup vlans on wrt1200?

Thanks big_smile

shm0 wrote:

Thanks big_smile

what config do you want? tell your plans wink

Hello,

are there any updates about the wifi issue with more than 1 ssid? The device is getting more and more usless for me hmm  Is there any hope for fixing it?

Thx!

so long

trustno1foxm wrote:

Hello,

are there any updates about the wifi issue with more than 1 ssid? The device is getting more and more usless for me hmm  Is there any hope for fixing it?

Thx!

so long

Are you using the .16 wireless driver?

I already did, but the wifi issue is still persistent. In the change log is also written, that they added dfs support, nothing else.

With .16 I have the problem, that some devices (nexus 9, surface pro 4) have very high ping times. After a reboot of the router all is fine again.
With .13 I don't have that problem... So I switched back to .13

So I would be happy with a mutex enabled driver (.13) and the wifi ssid issue fixed^^

so long

shm0 wrote:

Thanks big_smile

I had a discussion about your topic in this thread. Just search my posts.

@trustno1foxm
@muronghan

thank you for helping me.
I would like to create a isolated network on one of the switch ports.

But i cant get this to work. Every time there is no more connection to the router possible.

This is how I set up my network to allow for a separate network for my servers - these are in my /etc/config/network.

Enable first the vlan options on the switch:

config switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option reset '1'
    option enable_vlan '1'

Ports 2,3 and 4 - the switch numbers them as 0,1 and 2 - are untagged on VLAN 1. Port 5 is the switch CPU, 't' means it's tagged, since it will appear on more than one VLAN.

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '1'
    option vid '1'
    option ports '0 1 2 5t'

This is my WAN port - now on VLAN 2 - the number of the port on the switch is 4:

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '2'
    option vid '2'
    option ports '4 5t'

Finally my server side VLAN, it's number 3 and it includes only the first port on the router - numbered 3 on the switch:

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '3'
    option vid '3'
    option ports '3 5t'

Now the configuration of the LAN bridge, where all the clients (wifi and ports 2,3 and 4) are sitting. This is bound to
VLAN 1 on the eth0.1 interface:

config interface 'lan'
    option type 'bridge'
    option ifname 'eth0.1'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '192.168.66.1'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'
    option ip6assign '60'

The WAN is attached to the second VLAN - eth0.2:

config interface 'wan'
    option ifname 'eth0.2'
    option proto 'dhcp'

And this is my server interface, bound to VLAN 3 via the eth0.3 interface, I have spanning tree protocol enabled on this interface:

config interface 'server'
    option type 'bridge'
    option proto 'static'
    option ifname 'eth0.3'
    option ipaddr '172.10.0.1'
    option netmask '255.255.0.0'
    option stp '1'

You can do most of this configuration also using the web interface from Network->Switch.

VLAN 1 - Ports 0,1,2: untagged; Ports 3,4:  off; CPU: tagged; Port 6: off -- Port 6 is actually the CPU seen from the WAN port;
VLAN 2 - Ports 0,1,2,3: off; Port 4: untagged; CPU: tagged; Port 6: off -- This is the WAN port
VLAN 3 - Ports 0,1,2,4: off; Port 3: untagged; CPU: tagged; Port 6: off -- This is the server VLAN

I suggest you connect to the router using wifi while playing with the switch -- it's going to make you life easier.

Creating the VLANs is only the beginning: you also have to create a zone for the lan you have just created and setup the rules to allow -- or not -- the traffic.

davidc502 wrote:

Beamforming works by sending different signals to the different antennas and having the signals combine in the right place (or at least the right direction). As a result, the beamforming can only work in the plane of the antennas. Since we normally have the router set on a table with the antennas vertically from that, the beamforming will only work on the horizontal plane.

Note that if you start playing with remote antenna mounts, the length of the cable to each antenna is critical, even a fraction of an inch different between cable lengths to two antennas will significantly throw of fthe resulting pattern.

@fabbari
thank you for sharing.
This is for wrt1900ac or?
In the wiki it states:
For 1900ac
lan: 0 1 2 3 5
wan: 4 6
For 1200ac:
lan: 0 1 2 3 6
wan: 4 5

So i have to use 6 instead of 5 for the cpu tagging? Or does it not matter?
Is the wan vlan necessary?

I have no option switch in the webui?

(Last edited by shm0 on 26 Jan 2016, 08:31)

right! port 6 = cpu port (wrt1200ac)

Thanks to Chad and Nitroshift I have been running trunk OpenWrt Designated Driver r48138 for 5 days(5days uptime) now on my WRT1900ACS with various wifi devices(macbooks, imacs, iphones, android and linux machines) only error in the log is
[340524.738046] ieee80211 phy0: ampdu start error code: -22
[342844.902012] ieee80211 phy0: check ba result error 1

Kudos to Chad and Nitroshift smile

jmschu02 wrote:

Anyone know when SQM QoS will be updated for the 4.x.x kernel?

Using cake/piece_of_cake.qos on a C7V2 running 4.1.15, and a wrt1900acv1 running 4.4 appears to be working fine.

Sorry, posts 9726 to 9725 are missing from our archive.