OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I have the WRT1900ACS and after some troubles with trunk, now I feel I've found the balance with the Kaloz build based on 15.05 release

matthew_eli wrote:

I have the WRT1900ACS and after some troubles with trunk, now I feel I've found the balance with the Kaloz build based on 15.05 release

Which Kernel version does his latest Image use?

doITright wrote:

Wired workstation -> 1900AC -> 5GHz -> 1900AC

Trying to understand your test setup... Is it to rule out any variation from wireless clients other than the Linksys router itself? (Which might mean OS bugs, WiFi drivers of varying quality, radios/antennas of varying quality, etc.)

matthew_eli wrote:

Please try this command

hdparm -tT /dev/sda

sda is hdd(ssd) connected to usb3 or sata :-)
Thnx.

Does Kaloz use proprietary wifi drivers? Did Linksys provide some SDK?

here we are:

/dev/sda1:
 Timing cached reads:   1480 MB in  2.00 seconds = 739.60 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads: 422 MB in  3.01 seconds = 140.36 MB/sec
gsustek wrote:

No and no

lifehacksback wrote:
gsustek wrote:

No and no

Thnx for hdparm.
So no mu-mlmo:-(
It is marwel free drivers. I think.

gsustek wrote:
lifehacksback wrote:
gsustek wrote:

No and no

Thnx for hdparm.
So no mu-mlmo:-(
It is marwel free drivers. I think.

these routers don't have mu-mimo with any firmware.

Hi all
could one of the experts kindly summarize the situation for non-technical users? I'm thinking of getting the WRT1200 and have perused this thread, but really feel the need to a taking stock / summary.
Could anyone oblige?

wayne1958 wrote:

Hi all
could one of the experts kindly summarize the situation for non-technical users? I'm thinking of getting the WRT1200 and have perused this thread, but really feel the need to a taking stock / summary.
Could anyone oblige?

Summary:  Linksys made a router with sub par firmware.  OpenWRT developers are doing a great job of creating an opensource version for us that is much better. How's that?

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. smile

(Last edited by kirkgbr on 19 Feb 2016, 01:25)

wayne1958 wrote:

Hi all
Could anyone oblige?

Have you taken a look at the WRT1900/1200 wiki? I'd recommend reading it if you haven't had a chance yet, as it's quite informative.

OpenWRT is stable on both, and any version of OpenWRT is hundreds of times better than OEM firmware.  There are bugs that still exist that pop up here or there, many environment related, however this would be the case whether or not someone is using OEM firmware or OpenWRT... the difference being with OpenWRT you're likely to hear about an issue almost immediately due to this thread and the community. 

• This is in stark contrast to OEM firmware, regardless of manufacturer (unless you build your own router and use a custom firmware like Sophos UTM), as you're relying on hundreds of others who may or may not be network/computer savy to call into tech support and report issues, at which point you're at the mercy of the OEM to push an update.

JW0914 wrote:
wayne1958 wrote:

Hi all
Could anyone oblige?

Have you taken a look at the WRT1900/1200 wiki? I'd recommend reading it if you haven't had a chance yet, as it's quite informative.

OpenWRT is stable on both, and any version of OpenWRT is hundreds of times better than OEM firmware.  There are bugs that still exist that pop up here or there, many environment related, however this would be the case whether or not someone is using OEM firmware or OpenWRT... the difference being with OpenWRT you're likely to hear about an issue almost immediately due to this thread and the community. 

• This is in stark contrast to OEM firmware, regardless of manufacturer (unless you build your own router and use a custom firmware like Sophos UTM), as you're relying on hundreds of others who may or may not be network/computer savy to call into tech support and report issues, at which point you're at the mercy of the OEM to push an update.

Hi there- thanks for reply, yes I did look at the Wiki, and understand the advice to use the current CC (I'm on openWRT on a different router already BTW).
I was a bit alarmed by comments from
-  trustno1foxm that 'If you have a wrt1200, forget about 15.0, it just doesn't work.'
- while several other contributors recommend on the basis of experience that various community builds are better...

wayne1958 wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
wayne1958 wrote:

Hi all
Could anyone oblige?

Hi there- thanks for reply, yes I did look at the Wiki, and understand the advice to use the current CC (I'm on openWRT on a different router already BTW).
-  trustno1foxm that 'If you have a wrt1200, forget about 15.0, it just doesn't work.'
- while several other contributors recommend on the basis of experience that various community builds are better...

The first comment above was actually mine and possibly a bit too definitive. Sorry for that.
I meant, having run a long time on stable CC (15.0) that it was having quite a lot of issues (wifi locked, crash, wifi crawling to a halt) in a heavy WIFI usage.
That means my advise is to use latest trunk build for a stable 1200 (https://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots … u/generic/). Has proved very stable to me.

wayne1958 wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
wayne1958 wrote:

Hi all
Could anyone oblige?

As regadpellafru mentioned, Trunk runs fine on the WRT1200.  I'm currently runny Trunk, from 2/7, on my WRT1900 and WRT1200 with no issues thus far.  Trunk also hasn't been updated since 2/7, implying its quite stable

(Last edited by JW0914 on 19 Feb 2016, 14:05)

Thx guys! I want to setup up my wrt1200 with a newer version wink Is there something special about the trunk version? luci gui is missing?

@kaloz: mr. openwrt god, are there any plans about your 15.05.1 release in the near future? I would really try your version!

trustno1foxm wrote:

Thx guys! I want to setup up my wrt1200 with a newer version wink Is there something special about the trunk version? luci gui is missing?

@kaloz: mr. openwrt god, are there any plans about your 15.05.1 release in the near future? I would really try your version!

Trunk is a bare minimum build ->  https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/linksys/wrt1900ac#trunk

JW0914 wrote:

Trunk also hasn't been updated since 2/7, implying its quite stable

There have been changes already today: https://dev.openwrt.org/timeline

The snapshot builds haven't been updated since 2/7, but that's because the build server is down.

trustno1foxm wrote:

Yes, Luci is not part of the build. Is just a matter of "opkg update; opkg install luci" after you've plugged it back to internet. Easy cheesy !
As is mentioned on the wiki, and as I've made myself the painfull experience of, you must NOT update from WIFI, but use a network cable. Can involve moving the box OFF internet ...

Thx a lot! I only have an internet connection by an usb lte stick wink That's why I am a little bit afraid of it. Is it possible to set up a wifi client config to do the update by my smartphone (hotspot)?

leitec wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

The snapshot builds haven't been updated since 2/7, but that's because the build server is down.

I didn't know that lol

JW0914 wrote:
leitec wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

I didn't know that lol

http://buildbot.openwrt.org:8010/builders/mvebu

If and when it becomes ava.....  The failures are there and where they happen..... Or the success. On a side note. I have seen problems that are new to me.
Like not being able to access this site. Even to ping this website even ping the  ip Address. directly?
I roll my own and I am beginning to wonder is openwrt under attack? There are times building from 4.4 where the downloads timeout and or are dog slow!!
Just an observation.
r48736 so far has been stable on a 1900v1 almost 2 days.

All part of the current server issue problem. From irc channel kaloz rebuilt/replaced server hardware today.

With my current build r48744/4.4 experienced this bug for the first time ever, on any build I have flashed, yesterday. I'm not using the Chadster766 patch.

(Last edited by anomeome on 20 Feb 2016, 23:30)

anomeome wrote:

With my current build r48744/4.4 experienced this bug for the first time ever, on any build I have flashed, yesterday. I'm not using the Chadster766 patch.

I see this everytime my wife(iphone 6) leaves for work then returns after several hours.  I can almost nail the time when her phone locks wifi is when I start seeing those errors.

(Last edited by kirkgbr on 21 Feb 2016, 15:12)

ralfbergs wrote:
doITright wrote:

Wired workstation -> 1900AC -> 5GHz -> 1900AC

Trying to understand your test setup... Is it to rule out any variation from wireless clients other than the Linksys router itself? (Which might mean OS bugs, WiFi drivers of varying quality, radios/antennas of varying quality, etc.)

It just happens to be the way my stuff is distributed through the house (too lazy to run a cable between floors so I use wireless to "bridge" between the two 1900AC(s).

So basically:

My main workstation is wired to the second 1900AC, which in turn is a wireless client of the first 1900AC (upstairs).
Both radios are used for the connection with the 5 GHz set as primary via the metric option.

config interface 'wlan5GHz'
        option proto 'dhcp'
        option metric '0'

config interface 'wlan2GHz'
        option proto 'dhcp'
        option metric '100'

All wireless clients connect to the upstairs 1900AC only on the 2.4 GHz radio.  5GHz is thus used only for the "bridge".

At this point I am more than happy with the speed of both radios, and my only outstanding gripe is the elevated latency I see only on my wired workstation.  Laptops connecting to either radio upstairs do not have latency issues, although some other mobile devices (BB10, S4/5, tablets, etc.) still do (I don't care about them much in all honesty).

Hope the above makes some sense....

Cheers

Just witnessed something odd.  My wrt1900ac had an uptime of 6 days, everything working fine.  I was trying to remove a device from my wifi MAC-filter through LuCI and no matter how many times I tried, it wouldn’t go away.  So I manually edited the /etc/config/wireless file to remove the MAC address then did “ wifi down” and “wifi”.  Absolutely nothing could connect to wireless after that until I rebooted.

Sorry, posts 10076 to 10075 are missing from our archive.