OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

JohnnySL wrote:
Nijntje wrote:
JohnnySL wrote:

@Nijntje, now that you are running my OpenWRT build, are you still locked to 20mbit?

No, not at the moment although the problem will probably appear at some point....

so same issue as mine, mostly fine, sometimes slowing down.
if it is slow, run "wifi down && sleep 1 && wifi up" as one command to reset the wifi interface, that should be a quick fix.
(although it seems to self heal after some hours as well).

Weird thing is DD-WRT is affected from the moment it is installed on the WRT1900ACv2 and OpenWRT only sporadicly....

Openwrt has many more kernel patches from upstream. my guess is that that has something to do with it.

JohnnySL wrote:

Openwrt has many more kernel patches from upstream. my guess is that that has something to do with it.

I always thought is was the DD-WRT devs that incorporated upstream kernel patches in their kernel....

When you guys are hitting this "20mbit" limit, how are you testing?

kirkgbr wrote:

any bandwidth test that traverses across the router.
so either something like speedtest to the internet,  or iperf(3) to the router, or a lan device, etc.

Weirdly enough i only see it intermittently now, and only on 5ghz.
client device doesn't matter though. AC, N, intel chip, broadcom chip, all clients seem affected.

(Last edited by JohnnySL on 10 Apr 2016, 18:00)

Hi there,

Some feedback, here, on a WRT1200.

I'm running the latest davidc502 image, aka r49037 with driver .17, and it really seems rock solid so far. Running for 10 days, which would probably have been 15 days, if not for the power outage, 10 days ago !

2010/2012 Macbooks here, 2 IOS 6 ipod touch, and 2 Android devices, on top of the rest of cabled stuff. Some (macbook 2012 on 5GHz, rest on 2.4).

Seems really solid, but I've not gone the speed test route yet. Possibly later.

(Last edited by regadpellagru on 10 Apr 2016, 18:35)

JohnnySL wrote:
kirkgbr wrote:

any bandwidth test that traverses across the router.
so either something like speedtest to the internet,  or iperf(3) to the router, or a lan device, etc.

Weirdly enough i only see it intermittently now, and only on 5ghz.
client device doesn't matter though. AC, N, intel chip, broadcom chip, all clients seem affected.

Ok, just to be clear you are both talking about 20Mb and not 20MB?

There is a IPTables issue I would like to report....

Logging Firewall Drops doesn't stay persistent. After a while, logging disappears and when IPTables is checked the logging command is gone.

iptables -I zone_wan_src_DROP  -j LOG --log-prefix "IPTables-Dropped: " --log-level 4

I monitor all firewall drops, and log to USB, but I also monitor the number of drops every 1 minute. You can see after 10:25am this morning the firewall stops logging, and I have to re-enter the command. This has happened several times.

FireWall Drops
http://personalpages.tds.net/~davidc502/RouterStats/FirewallDrops.jpg

(Last edited by davidc502 on 10 Apr 2016, 21:14)

anomeome wrote:
define KernelPackage/crypto-marvell-cesa
  TITLE:=Marvell crypto engine NEW
  DEPENDS:=+kmod-crypto-manager @TARGET_kirkwood||TARGET_orion||TARGET_mvebu
  KCONFIG:=CONFIG_CRYPTO_DEV_MARVELL_CESA
  FILES:=$(LINUX_DIR)/drivers/crypto/marvell/marvell-cesa.ko
  AUTOLOAD:=$(call AutoLoad,09,marvell_cesa)
  $(call AddDepends/crypto)
endef

$(eval $(call KernelPackage,crypto-marvell-cesa))

So yes, that adds the kernel package to menuconfig but I still can't run make and build this package consistently.

I have successfully built and installed marvell-cesa.ko, however.  Now the issue is figuring out how to use it.

I manually modified make kernel_menuconfig settings after a build (setting selections to "M" to build the ko, otherwise I think they will be built-in -- not sure which is really the best method), deleted /tmp from the working directory, then rebuilt without cleaning.  I may have had to overwrite the newly-generated kernel .config, but it doesn't matter -- that's not a desired build process.  I think all I have to do is diff my kernel .config with what is being auto-generated and patch the kernel config files in the target directory.  I'll get to that tomorrow.

Both marvell-cesa.ko and cryptodev.ko are present and loaded by /etc/modules.d, but I don't see either engine showing up from 'openssl engine'.  Not sure exactly how to get this configured, but that's the next step now that it can be built.

I have updated wrt1200AC with openwrt-15.05.1-mvebu-armada-385-linksys-caiman-squashfs-factory.img and I have two issues:

- No Network switch is present in LUCI
- WPA2-EAP (client WDS) does not work as expected and if configured does not show in the WIFI web interface.

In the WIFI interface the Encryption shows empty as below:

SSID: MR | Mode: Client
BSSID: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX | Encryption:-

Any clues?

(Last edited by mrefky on 11 Apr 2016, 11:57)

kirkgbr wrote:

Ok, just to be clear you are both talking about 20Mb and not 20MB?

Yup 20Mb (peaks of ~2.4MB).

mrefky wrote:

- No Network switch is present in LUCI

Current 15.05.1 build has no default switch configuration, you'll have to create one in /etc/config/network/

mrefky wrote:

- WPA2-EAP (client WDS) does not work as expected and if configured does not show in the WIFI web interface.

EAP and WDS are only available trough wpad (not wpad-mini), check if this package is installed.

Side note: I think i heard WDS is'nt supported on the Marvell chip yet but i could be wrong. Never tested it.

I have WPAD installed and the problem is only in client mode as Access point mode is working probably. Thanks for replaying.

mrefky wrote:

I have WPAD installed and the problem is only in client mode as Access point mode is working probably. Thanks for replaying.

I got the confirmation that mwlwifi does not support WDS and there's no plan to support WDS now. Dev team is focused on getting a better (and stable) driver and then, adding support for non-conventional use.

Progress with marvell-cesa... I have a build working now with no manual intervention -- the need for that was a configuration error on my part that was left after messing with all this. So far, there aren't a lot of changes necessary to get all this to work.

Old ACS build performance:
type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192 bytes
md5               9589.71k    33065.11k    97222.29k   168946.35k   222761.51k

marvel-cesa loaded:
type             16 bytes     64 bytes    256 bytes   1024 bytes   8192 bytes
md5               4141.73k    12895.24k    63037.18k   192288.30k  1278170.45k

Note that (as before) the 16 byte performance is lower (although CPU is offloaded) but look at the boost in 8192 byte performance!  This is promising.

I'm currently trying to get this for other types as well - stay tuned.

InkblotAdmirer wrote:

Progress with marvell-cesa... I have a build working now with no manual intervention -- the need for that was a configuration error on my part that was left after messing with all this. So far, there aren't a lot of changes necessary to get all this to work.

[...]

I'm currently trying to get this for other types as well - stay tuned.

Yeah got my private build compiling without intervention too after patching crypto.mk (marvell-cesa failed to build on my public releases tho, no ko were generated sad). Gonna test it around 4PM GMT to provide some results.

EDIT: Nvm, ko generation also failed on my private build...

(Last edited by mrfrezee on 11 Apr 2016, 17:04)

Still a bit soon but after this latest build, it's been 2 days and the wifi has not dropped off to 20mbps.. So far so good, but it hasn't been up long enough yet.

root@OpenWrt:~# uptime
23:18:38 up 2 days, 26 min,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.04

WRT1900acV1 - DD kernel 4.4.6 mwlwifi .17 - BM patches
src = GigE connected NAS
dst = AC 5GHZ wireless Mac Book Pro
file = CentOS7.iso 7.2gb

root@router:~# uptime
 19:25:51 up 15 days,  9:52,  load average: 0.08, 0.03, 0.05

################

FTP:
226 Transfer complete.
7769948160 bytes received in 05:49 (21.22 MiB/s)

################

HTTP: using wget
2016-04-11 19:28:49 (38.0 MB/s) - 'CentOS7.iso' saved [7769948160/7769948160]

I have a WRT-1200AC (caiman) running DD r49161. My Moto X and my girlfriend's new Lenovo laptop (both of which support 802.11ac) get at least 100Mbps over wifi. However, my three older Lenovos (X1 Carbon, X220, and W530, which all have 802.11n cards) all are stuck at ~20 Mbps, as are my two Raspberry Pis. Restarting the router doesn't help. I've tried davidc's build, also to no avail, as well as 15.05.1. This happens on both the 5GHz and 2.4GHz networks.

Is there anything I can do to get better performance out of 802.11n on my network?

Additional details are here, at my reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetworking … 05_20mbps/

@davidc502, how are you looking now at day 3?

(Last edited by cybrnook2002 on 12 Apr 2016, 17:29)

cybrnook2002 wrote:

Since it ran good after 2 days on 40mhz, I bumped it up to 80mhz... will let you know in a few days.

davidc502 wrote:
cybrnook2002 wrote:

Since it ran good after 2 days on 40mhz, I bumped it up to 80mhz... will let you know in a few days.

Thank you much sir! This is the same build you are hosting on your share (Thanks btw on that), in case I, or anyone else, wanted to try the new .17 driver?

EDIT: Also, are you pre-loading the BM patch in your build, or should we do this after the fact? :-)

(Last edited by cybrnook2002 on 12 Apr 2016, 19:22)

I tried both, mrfrezee's and davidc502's new snapshots (11th and 9th) and I'm still having no luck breaking the 20Mb/s barriers on 5Ghz. I'm starting to think that the problem's specific to my setup... Can anyone confirm?

tomce wrote:

Hi Guys,

On Linksys WRT 1900ACs I have created VLANs as per instructions on few pages back, but cannot get them working properly. I also if I am trying to get rid of lan bridge - I am getting disconnected from device..

It is very strange, but with following config I can connect to router's port 4 (Or switch0 port "0") only and nothing else.

Current config:

config interface 'loopback'
    option ifname 'lo'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '127.0.0.1'
    option netmask '255.0.0.0'

config globals 'globals'
    option ula_prefix 'fd70:9819:044b::/48'

config interface 'lan'
    option ifname 'eth1'
    option force_link '1'
    option type 'bridge'
    option proto 'static'
    option ipaddr '192.168.1.1'
    option netmask '255.255.255.0'
    option ip6assign '60'
    option delegate '0'

config interface 'wan'
    option ifname 'eth0'
    option proto 'dhcp'

config switch
    option name 'switch0'
    option enable_vlan '1'
    option reset '1'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '1'
    option ports '3 6'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '2'
    option ports '2 6'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '3'
    option ports '1 6'

config switch_vlan
    option device 'switch0'
    option vlan '4'
    option ports '0 6'

config interface 'lab2_lan'
    option proto 'static'
    option ifname 'eth0.1'
    option delegate '0'
    option ipaddr '10.10.10.1'

config interface 'lab_lan'
    option proto 'static'
    option ifname 'eth0.2'
    option ipaddr '10.10.20.1'
    option delegate '0'

config interface 'first_dmz'
    option proto 'static'
    option ifname 'eth0.3'
    option delegate '0'
    option ipaddr '10.10.30.1'

config interface 'another_dmz'
    option proto 'static'
    option ifname 'eth0.4'
    option delegate '0'
    option ipaddr '10.10.40.1'

How can I get rid of this "lan" bridge?

how are you connecting to the device? If you are getting disconnected when you turn of the 'lan' interface, the odds are good that you are connecting to the system through that interface.

but you say you are connecting through switch port 0, which this config puts on vlan4, or the 10.10.40.0/24 network

you have defined 4 of the 5 ports on the switch to be something other than the default, are you sure you are connecting to port 0, not port 4?

IIRC, on this router, eth0 on the system connects to port 5 on the switch and eth1 connects to port 6, you define a lot of eth0.x interfaces, but your bridge settings all connect them to port 6

it's almost certinly just a matter that you aren't using the ports/interfaces that you think you are.