OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

davidc502 wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

It's definitely a larger out of pocket expense upfront, but it's guaranteed to not become obsolete, thereby making it far cheaper than a consumer grade router over the long term.  Granted, Sophos changed their free licenses for home users that restricts those switching from UTM to XG to 6 cores and 8GB of RAM, but still, it blows any consumer grade router out of the water.

This may be the direction OpenWrt goes.

Do you have the URL to the webpage?

For Sophos or the hardware?

JW0914 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

It's definitely a larger out of pocket expense upfront, but it's guaranteed to not become obsolete, thereby making it far cheaper than a consumer grade router over the long term.  Granted, Sophos changed their free licenses for home users that restricts those switching from UTM to XG to 6 cores and 8GB of RAM, but still, it blows any consumer grade router out of the water.

Either? I don't know anything about it.

davidc502 wrote:
Redferne wrote:

Hi,

Sorry to bother you with a noob question. It has been atleast 5 years since I built openwrt (backfire)...
I would like to build davidc502 version of the tree, since it seems most stable and frequently updated.
I remember that there were a extensive howto for the Gateworks boards, like this: http://trac.gateworks.com/wiki/OpenWrt Is something similar available for the WRT1900ACS? Or could someone please write up a short howto config/build for WRT1900ACS?
I would like to add MBIM support into OpenWRT (if not already implemented)

/R

Actually, you should build from Trunk and not my snapshots. The reason? Davidc502 builds are derived trunk snapshots.

There's actually a good openwrt Wiki about how to build your own snapshots from trunk. https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build

Hi David - first off thanks for your nicely done images. I flashed your 4.4.7 based image for Caiman but it seems the packages on your website are still based on 4.4.6. The link "Packages for kernel 4.4.7" points to an empty folder. Would it be possible for your to upload 4.4.7 packages, if not too much trouble?

In fact for applications I can just use your 4.4.6 packages or the ones from openwrt trunk, but the thing is I need to use dnsmasq-full which requires kmod-nf-conntrack and it's missing in your image. And I'm not sure if the 4.4.6 version of the kmod would work correctly.

I personally am familiar with building openwrt images from source (was using my own build from trunk). So if you don't have time to upload the 4.4.7 packages, would it be possible to release your config file so that I can just blatantly copy...? Thanks again smile

rlei wrote:

Hi David - first off thanks for your nicely done images. I flashed your 4.4.7 based image for Caiman but it seems the packages on your website are still based on 4.4.6. The link "Packages for kernel 4.4.7" points to an empty folder. Would it be possible for your to upload 4.4.7 packages, if not too much trouble?

In fact for applications I can just use your 4.4.6 packages or the ones from openwrt trunk, but the thing is I need to use dnsmasq-full which requires kmod-nf-conntrack and it's missing in your image. And I'm not sure if the 4.4.6 version of the kmod would work correctly.

I personally am familiar with building openwrt images from source (was using my own build from trunk). So if you don't have time to upload the 4.4.7 packages, would it be possible to release your config file so that I can just blatantly copy...? Thanks again smile

I've uploaded Caiman with what should be kernel verison 4.4.7.  >  http://personalpages.tds.net/~davidc502 … tchCaimen/

Let me know if you have any problems with it.

As for kmod-nf-conntrack, I will compile it tomorrow and put it in the packages directory. Also, will save as part of the build config so that any new builds will have it included.

**EDIT**  packages are out there including conntrack...

(Last edited by davidc502 on 14 May 2016, 15:10)

nitroshift wrote:

@Nihilanth, @kirkgbr

Firmware for v1 (Mamba):

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5 … =folder%2c

Kernel 4.4.10 and netdata included (netdata can be accessed in a browser on port 19999).

nitroshift

@Nihilanth, @kirkgbr

Did flash it? Any quirks?

nitroshift

JW0914 wrote:

@sera I went with:

Wireless is disabled by default for security reasons.  Please take a minute to briefly read the short Wireless Security section of Wireless Overview prior to enabling wireless.

Was thinking about what the document <fit for purpose> could be - you found it!

Guess the "set root password business" could be replaced with https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/firstlogin

Also https://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/uci/wireless states ieee80211w is only available for ath9k. Well, 2009 that was the first to get support. You might need to replace wpad-mini hostapd-mini with the full version though.

----

After building my own router to run Sophos UTM, I've come to the conclusion one is better off doing so, especially if looking at consumer routers in the $200 - $300 (USD) range. For ~$450, I bought a SuperMicro A1SRi-2758F (8 core 2.4gHz 24W), mini-ITX box, 16GB ECC DDR3L RAM, and 128GB 850 Pro SSD

Can't beat the wrt in the looks department. Also for a full custom appliance I'd  go with bsd or gentoo hardened.

I really give up now trying to get build my own image. What ever I do, even if I use finished .config file or another pc,
make fails with an error about attr package can not be build.

Now I have a expensive wrt1900acs where I can just use older kernel and driver version from standard (15.05.1 and snap shot) where I don't get NFS server installed or other packages can't be installed due to kernel version dependencies.

Anyone any last idea?

thx!

nitroshift wrote:

@Nihilanth, @kirkgbr

Firmware for v1 (Mamba):

Kernel 4.4.10 and netdata included (netdata can be accessed in a browser on port 19999).

nitroshift

Works great. Cheers buddy!

Nihilanth wrote:
nitroshift wrote:

@Nihilanth, @kirkgbr

Firmware for v1 (Mamba):

nitroshift

Works great. Cheers buddy!

it's n acs (shelby) that one is mamba right?

thx4wrt wrote:

I really give up now trying to get build my own image. What ever I do, even if I use finished .config file or another pc,

Now I have a expensive wrt1900acs where I can just use older kernel and driver version from standard (15.05.1 and snap shot) where I don't get NFS server installed or other packages can't be installed due to kernel version dependencies.

Anyone any last idea?

thx!

Your problem is about building from source and not related to the wrt1900acs. I suggest to start a new thread to get the attention of those who can help. Write about your setup and the steps you take. Help those who want to help.

Alternatively, one of the community builds might already include what you need.

(Last edited by sera on 14 May 2016, 09:34)

sera wrote:
thx4wrt wrote:

Anyone any last idea?

thx!

Your problem is about building from source and not related to the wrt1900acs. I suggest to start a new thread to get the attention of those who can help. Write about your setup and the steps you take. Help those who want to help.

Alternatively, one of the community builds might already include what you need.

Thank you Sera, but I did that. Including error message and descriptions what I like to do / have.

I am not using openwrt the first time and went over to build my own due to the standard once don't work as I like it or causing problems. One of the important things for me is not to use the "old" kernel and driver since I had a lot of trouble with it regarding wifi and performance.
Before I got the wrt1900acs I had a Netgear R7000 but was forced to use dd-wrt due to wifi drivers not accepted in openwrt (no FOSS driver support). DD-wrt is full of unnecessary stuff and slow or even older in kernel and so on. After 3 month having trouble with it I purchased the 1900acs.

The snap shot image makes problems with the USB2/esata combo port. USB2 is not working with this image. I posted it here and after a while I also open a case to dev. Didn't got feedback yet or for sure there is something wrong with my case. How ever. I really like to build my own image with newer kernel and wifi driver, nfs, samba, minidlna, qos, astarisk13, sftp and openssh to backup my vps to local.

I used now three weeks, flashing by flashing. Always is something wrong with the images. So I need my own build I guess. I don't know what I am doing wrong...

gsustek wrote:

@JW0914 is there a url where we can find 1900ac(s) patches? mrfreeze's, davidc502's even nitroshift which we apply to the trunk source during the build?

Mine can be found on my website but but eh, it's offline hmm

In the meantime, you can find them here : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/83hqzhzu8zj1 … OmYWa?dl=0
To apply them, just go in the base folder where you're building and do a patch -p1 < patchfile

davidc502 wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Sophos UTM 9

• UTM 9 Home Edition (Download)

• UTM 9 has been superseded by XG UTM; however, not all features have been ported over to XG yet, with all features scheduled to be ported over sometime in mid 2017.

• Features

• UTM 9 Home Edition is the exact same as the enterprise edition, the only difference being a 50 DHCP/Static IP limit for LANs

Hardware

• SuperMicro A1SRi-2758F [Server Board]

• I was off on the wattage, TDP is 20W, not 24W.

• Samsung 850 Pro SSD [128GB]

• Samsung made a technological breakthrough last year and will be releasing the gen 2 850 series in Q2 - Q3 this year, of which doubles all available SSD sizes (consumer side gains a 4TB SSD [~$1550 USD], enterprise gains a 16TB 2.5" SSD [just shy of $11k USD])

• In Win Chopin [Mini-ITX case]

• Granted, the original mini-itx case I bought was ~$50, with this one being $90 [USD; Overclockers.uk ~$95 Euros]

• Router uses ~24W, or ~15W more than the WRT1900AC

(Last edited by JW0914 on 14 May 2016, 13:44)

JW0914 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:
JW0914 wrote:

Sophos UTM 9

• UTM 9 has been superseded by XG UTM; however, not all features have been ported over to XG yet, with all features scheduled to be ported over sometime in mid 2017.

• Features

• UTM 9 Home Edition is the exact same as the enterprise edition, the only difference being a 50 DHCP/Static IP limit for LANs

Hardware

• Samsung made a technological breakthrough last year and will be releasing the gen 2 850 series in Q2 - Q3 this year, of which doubles all available SSD sizes (consumer side gains a 4TB SSD [~$1550 USD], enterprise gains a 16TB 2.5" SSD [just shy of $11k USD])

• Granted, the original mini-itx case I bought was ~$50, with this one being $90 [USD; Overclockers.uk ~$95 Euros]

Moving forward OpenWrt might continue to thrive if there's sanctioned hardware?

However, it's my opinion there needs to be 3 tiers.

1 Cheap  Gets you in the door to running OpenWrt on hardware
3 Midrange  Good Value and Good Performance
4 High dollar/ high specs / High Performance

Each should be an enclosed motherboard (case) branded OpenWrt.

thoughts???

davidc502 wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
davidc502 wrote:

Sophos UTM 9

• Features

Hardware

Moving forward OpenWrt might continue to thrive if there's sanctioned hardware?

However, it's my opinion there needs to be 3 tiers.

1 Cheap  Gets you in the door to running OpenWrt on hardware
3 Midrange  Good Value and Good Performance
4 High dollar/ high specs / High Performance

Each should be an enclosed motherboard (case) branded OpenWrt.

thoughts???

DD-WRT does something similar, however the infrastructure has to be in place in order to do so with a dedicated support channel for hardware sold by/branded by OpenWrt (FreeNAS [FreeBSD] also provides a similar service through iXsystems).  From an outsider looking in perspective, it doesn't appear OpenWrt has anything close to the infrastructure required for such a venture. 

For example, most wikis and info on wiki.openwrt.org are severely dated, and while I try to update wikis as I come across them, without something as trivial as that being kept up to date, there's little chance of such a venture coming to fruition.  Investors would take a look at the site, see that, and politely decline.  It would cost tens of thousands of dollars for such a venture, and unfortunately, OpenWrt isn't there (and will only get there if some things are radically changed).

sera wrote:

Can't beat the wrt in the looks department. Also for a full custom appliance I'd  go with bsd or gentoo hardened.

You really should check out Sophos UTM 9, as it beats all three.  BSD is a great OS, however it's not user friendly for users not familiar with BSD and there's a steep learning curve.  The only thing Sophos UTM 9 can't be is a VPN client, unless it's connecting to a another Sophos software/hardware appliance (Sophos intentionally designed it this way for security).  With that being said, it is extremely VPN friendly, offering several different protocol types, from HTML5, IPsec, SSL, and 2 or 3 more.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 14 May 2016, 14:40)

JW0914 wrote:
sera wrote:

You really should check out Sophos UTM 9, as it beats all three.  BSD is a great OS, however it's not user friendly for users not familiar with BSD and there's a steep learning curve.  The only thing Sophos UTM 9 can't be is a VPN client, unless it's connecting to a another Sophos software/hardware appliance (Sophos intentionally designed it this way for security).  With that being said, it is extremely VPN friendly, offering several different protocol types, from HTML5, IPsec, SSL, and 2 or 3 more.

Well, I bought the wrt1900acs because of the looks (no longer qualified to silently laugh at iPeople). Sure, if I didn't had a use case (specs meeting requirements) for it I would have ignored the device.

In case I would be made the IT guy in a small company just because the secretary isn't a good fit, I'd probably insist on a solution like sophos, zywall, iWall to a) legitimate the time spent. b) To not leave a mess should I quit.

Openwrt is in the same boat. If you know your way around in Linux and maybe used NetBSD before it's a fantastic tool but not something I would want to leave behind. Guess this is a good point to thank you for your efforts In improving the documentation. Much appreciated.

sera wrote:
JW0914 wrote:
sera wrote:

Well, I bought the wrt1900acs because of the looks (no longer qualified to silently laugh at iPeople). Sure, if I didn't had a use case (specs meeting requirements) for it I would have ignored the device.

In case I would be made the IT guy in a small company just because the secretary isn't a good fit, I'd probably insist on a solution like sophos, zywall, iWall to a) legitimate the time spent. b) To not leave a mess should I quit.

Openwrt is in the same boat. If you know your way around in Linux and maybe used NetBSD before it's a fantastic tool but not something I would want to leave behind. Guess this is a good point to thank you for your efforts In improving the documentation. Much appreciated.

lol I'm an idiot... I thought you were talking about the web gui.   

The WRT1X00AC/S series definitely has spectacular aesthetics. I'm not a fan of the Sophos HAs [Hardware Appliances] either, as they have that industrial, bland, cookie cutter look; however, whether a home or business user, you can utilize Sophos as a SA [Software Appliance] only and In Win's Chopin is a spectacular mini-ITX case (actually, In Win has a couple spectacular cases, such as the H-Frame 2.0 and the Transformer).

Don't get me wrong, I love OpenWrt and I'll always have a use for it.  I utilize my Sophos SA as the WAN facing router, and the WRT1900ac as my main LAN router.

(Last edited by JW0914 on 14 May 2016, 15:42)

gsustek wrote:

@Bogey
are you satisfied with WiFi stability?

Today tried to Airplay Spotify to Apple TV and uuh, it is so unstable. Tried pinging the AppleTV from Macbook and pings rising and dropping packets..

Both at 5GHz, and both visible connection to router only 8-10 meters.

This time only rebooting router helped.

Now testing with stock firmware if the router HW has some issue.

(Last edited by Bogey on 14 May 2016, 19:16)

Is there a recommended amount of partition space that should be left available on mtd5/mtd7?

Already close to limit? smile

At least a couple hundred kb so you will still be able to save configuration changes.

(Last edited by sera on 14 May 2016, 21:59)

sera wrote:

Already close to limit? smile

At least a couple hundred kb so you will still be able to safe configuration changes.

lol Usually my images are ~21MB in size, with ~12MB free once flashed, but it's a question that's occurred to me a few times, and I'd always forget to ask. 

Also, is there a way to query the size of different packages, and their dependencies, prior to compiling the image?

One way would be to write a script around opkg. The package manager knows about the dependencies and which files belong to a package.

Edit: Just noticed you asked prior. There is no such method. Sure you could go by heuristics and past results.

(Last edited by sera on 14 May 2016, 22:18)

Maybe we shouldn't be talking about whether OUR router will be blocked, rather we should be talking about opposing the legislation that forces this on the other routers.

davidc502 wrote:
rlei wrote:

I've uploaded Caiman with what should be kernel verison 4.4.7.  >  http://personalpages.tds.net/~davidc502 … tchCaimen/

Let me know if you have any problems with it.

As for kmod-nf-conntrack, I will compile it tomorrow and put it in the packages directory. Also, will save as part of the build config so that any new builds will have it included.

**EDIT**  packages are out there including conntrack...

Flashed the sysupgrade.tar of modified date 2016-05-13 22:43 and kmod-nf-conntrack is in the image already. Thank you smile

Sorry, posts 11251 to 11250 are missing from our archive.