OpenWrt Forum Archive

Topic: Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

The content of this topic has been archived between 16 Sep 2014 and 7 May 2018. Unfortunately there are posts – most likely complete pages – missing.

I said I keep you posted. Since last time I spent maybe another 15 hours on my 4.7 port. So I got quite a bit more familiar with buildroot and what is lacking for our devices.

Patches left in generic:

270-uapi-kernel.h-glibc-specific-inclusion-of-sysinfo.h.patch
271-uapi-libc-compat.h-do-not-rely-on-__GLIBC__.patch
272-uapi-if_ether.h-prevent-redefinition-of-struct-ethhd.patch
615-netfilter_add_xt_id_match.patch

Those are those rare patches that can stick in generic for a while longer, thou it's ugly to rely on 615 as it makes firewall3 pretty much useless anywhere else. Of course backports from released kernels are fine as well wink

Wireless dropped even further on the priority list. I had it working once with vanilla hostapd when getting netifd out of the way. Though no performance testing was done.

Stuff of interest right now:
- missing RENAME_WHITEOUT and RENAME_EXCHANGE support in ubifs
- ubiblock applet missing in busybox
- reasonable initramfs support in openwrt

Other pending stuff:
- fix ledtrig-usb to not depend on kernel hack.
- crda package?
- wireless

@gsustek, lsusb from busybox works again, also there is a ledtrig-libata already (patch 8xx in generic) that you might want to test instead of the one from me.

I will have time after this weekend to resume work on the wiki.  I'll be applying all suggestions I flagged and categorized around a month ago, and if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know =]

(Last edited by JW0914 on 2 Jul 2016, 21:24)

I know this may have been covered already in this thread, I have LEDE WRT installed and after help from SHM0, I got the items I needed installed. I installed the 9K and 10K ath for WLAN and they seem to be installed ok, however the Drop Down options boxes for the Operation of the modes and such are blank. Before installing LEDE WRT, I had OpenWRT installed using the default stable CC build for the WRT1900ACv1 the other day and I did see drop down menu options listed. There a known issue with this on LEDE? Any status or information would be appreciated.

@FurryNutz  A value is missing from the path lines in /etc/config/wireless

I'll be adding this to the wiki's troubleshooting section this week, since there's been about 1 question every week regarding this. 

I don't believe the value is different for LEDE, so someone familiar with LEDE will need to verify, but my path value for the WRT1900ac v1 is:

radio0  2.4gHz

option  path            'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'

radio1   5.7gHz

option  path            'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:03:00.0'

(Last edited by JW0914 on 2 Jul 2016, 22:14)

JW0914 wrote:

@FurryNutz  A value is missing from the path lines in /etc/config/wireless

I'll be adding this to the wiki's troubleshooting section this week, since there's been about 1 question every week regarding this. 

I don't believe the value is different for LEDE, so someone familiar with LEDE will need to verify, but my path value for the WRT1900ac v1 is:

radio0  2.4gHz

option  path            'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'

radio1   5.7gHz

option  path            'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:03:00.0'

LEDE 1900ac v1
config wifi-device 'radio0'
    option type 'mac80211'
    option path 'platform/soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'
    option hwmode '11g'
    option country 'US'
    option channel '11'
    option txpower '30'
    option htmode 'HT40'
    option noscan '0'

config wifi-iface
    option device 'radio0'
    option network 'lan'
    option mode 'ap'
    option ssid '##########'
    option encryption 'psk2'
    option key '#########'
    option macaddr '##:##:##:##:##:##'
    option disabled '0'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
    option type 'mac80211'
    option hwmode '11a'
    option path 'platform/soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:03:00.0'
    option country 'US'
    option htmode 'VHT80'
    option channel '157'
    option txpower '30'
    option distance '10'

Edit: Sorry if the "dark side" entry has offended anyone. smile

(Last edited by northbound on 3 Jul 2016, 01:46)

LEDE Wireless Config for  ACS   5Ghz is on Radio0 and 2.4Ghz is on Radio1

root@lede:~# cat /etc/config/wireless

config wifi-device 'radio0'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option hwmode '11a'
        option path 'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.00000:01:00.0'
        option country 'US'
        option distance '10'
        option htmode 'VHT80'
        option channel '161'
        option txpower '27'

config wifi-iface
        option device 'radio0'
        option mode 'ap'
        option ssid 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
        option network 'lan'
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
        option key 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
        option macaddr 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

config wifi-device 'radio1'
        option type 'mac80211'
        option hwmode '11g'
        option path 'soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.00000:02:00.0'
        option country '00'
        option txpower '27'
        option channel '3'
        option htmode 'HT20'

config wifi-iface
        option device 'radio1'
        option network 'lan'
        option mode 'ap'
        option encryption 'psk2+ccmp'
        option key 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
        option ssid 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
        option macaddr 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'

FurryNutz wrote:

I know this may have been covered already in this thread, I have LEDE WRT installed and after help from SHM0, I got the items I needed installed. I installed the 9K and 10K ath for WLAN and they seem to be installed ok, however the Drop Down options boxes for the Operation of the modes and such are blank. Before installing LEDE WRT, I had OpenWRT installed using the default stable CC build for the WRT1900ACv1 the other day and I did see drop down menu options listed. There a known issue with this on LEDE? Any status or information would be appreciated.

Why did you install Atheros drivers?

nitroshift

(Last edited by nitroshift on 3 Jul 2016, 06:10)

Sorry about the 9k and 10K mention. I did install the marvell drivers for the v1 seen here which I presumed these would be supported for the v1:
https://downloads.lede-project.org/snap … /packages/

IS this incorrect packages for the WRT1900ACv1?

Let me know if there is a different LEDE repo for this router

nitroshift wrote:
FurryNutz wrote:

Why did you install Atheros drivers?

nitroshift

@davidc502
Running your LEDE build, 6/18, on my WRT1900AC V1. Needed the platform added to the path to get dropdown boxes working.
This build is running great. I keep track of a iperf test I run on every build I install, Openwrt and DD-WRT. This build of yours gives me some of the best 5GHz wireless throughput I have measured on this router. Performing really well for me. Just do the basics, routing, AP and USB support for YAMon. 

--bill

(Last edited by bill1228 on 3 Jul 2016, 21:33)

What package files did you use and install to get both radios working?
What is the exact path of this PLATFORM directory?

bill1228 wrote:

@davidc502
Running your LEDE build, 6/18, on my WRT1900AC V1. Needed the platform added to the path to get dropdown boxes working.
This build is running great. I keep track of a iperf test I run on every build I install, Openwrt and DD-WRT. This build of yours gives me some of the best 5GHz wireless throughput I have measured on this router. Performing really well for me. Just do the basics, routing, AP and USB support for YAMon. 

--bill

(Last edited by FurryNutz on 3 Jul 2016, 21:45)

@FurryNutz
Interesting picture in my head with your name.
Anyway I installed davidc502 6/18 LEDE build on my wrt1900ac v1, so cannot answer package info as I used a firmware that was already built not something I created.

The platform addition goes on the /etc/config/wireless file in 2 places to get things working for me. Dropdown boxes did not work before adding.
radio0
option path 'platform/soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/0000:02:00.0'

radio1
option path 'platform/soc/soc:pcie-controller/pci0000:00/0000:00:03.0/0000:03:00.0'

Platform part of the path is missing and needs to be added in my case. This seems to be a common issue right now.

--bill

Supposedly "path" was taken out so the system would accommodate a wider variety of kernels.  This change appears to be okay for V2 and ACS, but V1 users are having to go back and add the full path. It's no big deal, but new users don't know what to do.

davidc502 wrote:

Supposedly "path" was taken out so the system would accommodate a wider variety of kernels.  This change appears to be okay for V2 and ACS, but V1 users are having to go back and add the full path. It's no big deal, but new users don't know what to do.

Agree, no big deal once you know.  Love your builds by the way.

--bill

davidc502 wrote:

I'll be adding it under troubleshooting on the Wiki this week, which should help with the awareness

Hey.

David, any chance you can include the packages for mwan3 in your package repository?

Would rather not switch from your build due to the great results I've gotten with it so far.

Thanks in advance.

Driver007 wrote:

Hm, all settings basically are default, just added iptv interface.

Will try to adjust Wan settings.

add this:

cat /etc/sysctl.conf

#memory tunning

vm.min_free_kbytes=65536

That name has been around for a while.

So I need to open up the /etc/config/wireless file and add both:
radio0

radio1

to the file correct to get the wireless options to work?

I presume this will be fixed soon so users don't have to do this when migrating to LEDE? Reason being is that I'm recommending some users migrate to either LEDE or Open WRT on there routers since some Mfrs are no longer doing FW updates for there HW. So were finding continued life in HW with 3rd party FW and making users happy.

bill1228 wrote:

@FurryNutz
Interesting picture in my head with your name.
Anyway I installed davidc502 6/18 LEDE build on my wrt1900ac v1, so cannot answer package info as I used a firmware that was already built not something I created.

The platform addition goes on the /etc/config/wireless file in 2 places to get things working for me. Dropdown boxes did not work before adding.
radio0

radio1

Platform part of the path is missing and needs to be added in my case. This seems to be a common issue right now.

--bill

Are you going to maybe make a separate v1 build that includes the path by chance?

I can help test. I'm thinking of trying your build since it comes with Luci. I'm hoping that if you have a good solid v1 build, Linksys users would be more apt to give it a try. Been a lot of problems with the WRT series of routers that LInksys doesn't want to fix.

davidc502 wrote:

I find davidc502's 6/18 LEDE build to be rock solid. Good speed and no issues, other then having to add platform to the path statement. I only do routing, AP and USB so nothing fancy like VPN or DDNS. 

--bill

Ok, so I migrated to Davis LEDE build. I notice that some QoS items are either missing or maybe in a different location or name? I'm looking for kmod-sched-cake specifically? Or can I use what LEDE has on there repo?
I've input his repo paths in to the SW configuration. Can I use the default package path in conjunction with Davis path?

Also, how is the file edited to input the two code lines? Sorry for noobish question.

FurryNutz wrote:

Are you going to maybe make a separate v1 build that includes the path by chance?

I can help test. I'm thinking of trying your build since it comes with Luci. I'm hoping that if you have a good solid v1 build, Linksys users would be more apt to give it a try. Been a lot of problems with the WRT series of routers that LInksys doesn't want to fix.

davidc502 wrote:

see recent LEDE commit (by Jo-Philipp Wich) might help with that:

iwinfo: fix nl80211 phy lookup without platform prefix

Commit d9b20a6f351c50d206fb6d2f965a16318c0cecf7 (SVN r48426) changed the
mac80211 phy lookup logic to strip the platform/ directory component from
the phy path specification.

Fix iwinfo to follow that logic by trying to lookup phys both with and
without "platform/" prefix.

https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source. … 84220e81af

Do you know if that is in a package or the sysupgrade? If a package, which on would it be in?

robd wrote:
FurryNutz wrote:

davidc502 wrote:

see recent LEDE commit (by Jo-Philipp Wich) might help with that:

iwinfo: fix nl80211 phy lookup without platform prefix

Commit d9b20a6f351c50d206fb6d2f965a16318c0cecf7 (SVN r48426) changed the
mac80211 phy lookup logic to strip the platform/ directory component from
the phy path specification.

Fix iwinfo to follow that logic by trying to lookup phys both with and
without "platform/" prefix.

https://git.lede-project.org/?p=source. … 84220e81af

a I just updated to 6/18 build.
I noticed I needed to change to the following SW config to get it working well:
src/gz lede_Mamba_packages http://davidc502sis.dynamic-dns.net/mve … /packages/
src/gz reboot_core http://downloads.lede-project.org/snaps … c/packages
src/gz reboot_base http://downloads.lede-project.org/snaps … vfpv3/base
src/gz reboot_telephony http://downloads.lede-project.org/snaps … /telephony
src/gz reboot_packages http://downloads.lede-project.org/snaps … 3/packages
src/gz reboot_routing http://downloads.lede-project.org/snaps … v3/routing
src/gz reboot_luci http://downloads.lede-project.org/snaps … vfpv3/luci
src/gz reboot_targets http://downloads.lede-project.org/snaps … v3/targets

bill1228 wrote:

I find davidc502's 6/18 LEDE build to be rock solid. Good speed and no issues, other then having to add platform to the path statement. I only do routing, AP and USB so nothing fancy like VPN or DDNS. 

--bill

So I'm back on LEDE 7/4 since the kmod-sched-cake was dependent upon newer version of LEDE so I'm gonna stick with LEDE and try to keep things simple. I presume the wifi fix will before coming soon.

Sorry, posts 12326 to 12325 are missing from our archive.